What's new

Modern Williams mug longivity test

My next door neighbor just finish is puck of modern Williams and it last him almost 8 months. Knowing that he shave only whit that soap but knowing that he shave only every 3 days or so. He also used the same brush and same method(bowl lathering), i’ve Decided to test it myself by using the same brush and same method like him. The only difference that me i’m A daily shaver(everyday shaver), I will test to see how long a puck would last me. It’s been already 6 days today and I will post my result after the puck will be gone, so I will excluvelly use modern Williams until it will be done.

Sir Guitar10, great experiment!
I'm sure your puck will last at least 3 months!!
So, do the math, how much more affordably could you shave???

williams rubberset gillette aqua velva may 21 2019.jpg

Sir Guitar10, great experiment!
I'm sure your puck will last at least 3 months!!
So, do the math, how much more affordably could you shave???

View attachment 1057294
Yep, that’s what I was thinking whit the bowl lathering method but i’m Wondering if you use it like a shave stick it will probably last longer! Probably some other time I will test that method to. A puck of vintage Williams should last a long time to due to the fact that that you don’t need much swirl on the puck to lather it, that could be another experiment I could try one day.

Yep, that’s what I was thinking whit the bowl lathering method but i’m Wondering if you use it like a shave stick it will probably last longer! Probably some other time I will test that method to. A puck of vintage Williams should last a long time to due to the fact that that you don’t need much swirl on the puck to lather it, that could be another experiment I could try one day.

Exactly, I will often use a Williams puck as a 'face lathering stick'; works great!

williams art of shaving kai cella november 20 2018.jpg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I’m curious to read the results. Is this a 50gr puck or something else?

I'm interested to hear how long it will last for you. I'm sure @GaryTha will chime in, all he uses is Modern Williams.

Hi. That's all I like. :)

I got 242 shaves and 347 passes face lathering.

In my opinion, the small Cremo horsehair brush contributes to longevity. Hard to say as it's the only brush I own.

Last edited:
It lasts a good amount of time since it is a hard soap. Mine lasted 75 shaves but I do a four-pass face shave and two pass head shave for a total of 450 passes. By way of contrast, Tabac lasted for 116 shaves or 696 passes.

Since I have lots of other great shaving soaps I decided to instead kept a journal of the shaves whit modern Williams. I did 11 days in a row but from now all the shaves i will get on this puck will be mark down so I could still enjoy my other soaps

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Here are two pucks from my 3017 log, as well as the one currently in progress:

54 days...Nov.01 - Dec.24.2014.....Blue Willy (grated Williams soaked in Aqua Velva)
65 days...Feb.02 - Apr.07.2017.....Vegan Willy (grated Williams soaked in Lilac Vegetal)
61 days....Oct.04 - Oct.09.2019......Williams (Suspended to perform some soap testing)
................Dec.15 - xxx.xx.xxxx......Williams (resumed) .... forecasting Feb.07 finish

So approx 2 months/puck for me. I'm a 2-pass shaver.

I grated a puck into a stick container and am tracking how many shaves I get. But it will take a while, as I have about five soaps and five or six creams in rotation.

Top Bottom