What's new

Modern straight razors with a smiling edge?

I have been using a Wade & Butcher for the last 5 years with a minor but not subtle smiling edge. I love it, it really slices through the hair like butter. I've recently been on the market for a new razor, not to replace the W&B but something modern that I'll use when I travel, and maybe for a bit of variety.

However, every modern razor appears to have a straight edge? Is there a reason for this? And are there examples out there of modern razors with a smiling edge?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is an example, a Gold Dollar W59. If you can find one, they should cost you about USD 20.

Profile Open.jpg

With proper honing, they take a wicked edge. The W59 is currently my most enjoyable SR to shave with, more enjoyable than my high-end SRs.

Hart steel, at least the two I have came with a smile. They are a little difficult to hone, and the design might be an acquired taste.

Reactions: PWJ
How is the grind on your Wade & Butcher (near wedge, half hollow) and what type of grind would you like the modern razor to have?

I ask because more modern razors have thinner grinds than thick but there are some excellent modern razors with thicker grinds out there.

How is the grind on your Wade & Butcher (near wedge, half hollow) and what type of grind would you like the modern razor to have?

I ask because more modern razors have thinner grinds than thick but there are some excellent modern razors with thicker grinds out there.

Extra hollow. Really an amateur so I cant compare grinds, but I guess a thin grind.

I think I was really lucky, when I first got interested in this, I saw the praise of W&B. So Ive never tried any Dovos etc., just found a W&B in good condition - got it, and loved it, never had any issues with cuts etc. even in the beginning, in fact I was surprised how easy it was to shave with (and felt like this whole thing about a steep learning curve must be overblown) - I've found it way more difficult to strop proficiently than shave - and it's served me well for five years now! So while I feel like I skipped over the mandatory training camp (no safety razors, no moderns, just straight from cartridge to W&B), I also don't regret it because it's just been such a dream.

I've grown a beard since I first got it but I've found that the straight razor shines even more when you have a beard because you can get that line in a way that's absolutely impossible with a cartridge razor (and I guess safety razor?). Taking the square point of the blade to "ping" away single hairs to get the line perfect, that is some sort of shaving pleasure I never knew was possible before... So yeah, I'm a straight razor convert 100% but I have limited to no experience of different grinds etc (even if I have a decent understanding of the concepts)

Some vintage razors smile because of hone wear and technique used kn them through the years also. That will explain a lot of 2hy more vintage razors smile than modern razors. Of course, a smile from hone technique will usually not be even and will be more pronounced at the toe of the blade.

Just out of interest, can anyone enlighten me as to what the name Koraat comes from / means?

Top Bottom