What's new

Modern Shaving System? :) (Trac II brass set)

Alright friends, I don't know if this qualifies as a "modern shaving system," but I found it in a local antique shop today. It was marked "Mervyn's (?) Shave Set 1974".

It was dusty and there was some patina on it, but I cleaned & polished it. Everything is nice, solid, heavy brass. The brush hair is boar, it has not been used much at all, but after shampooing, soaking in lather and cold water etc. I can say it feels very soft on my palm, but with a strong backbone. The handle accepts Trek II cartridges which I have never used. But I got a 10-pack here and if I like the experience, I might purchase more. Normally I shave with a DE razor, sometimes using shavette and/or straight, but this appeals to me, so I might use it when I don't have much time in the morning.

Have any of you seen this kind of set and more importantly, could you share your experiences with the Trac II system? If I understand this correctly, this was Gillette's first multi-blade razor system, introduced in 1971. The way the cartridge slides into the handle seems to be very robust; I like this better than the contemporary pivoting cartridge system. Again, I don't know how "modern" this is, since the set is 45 years old, and - dare I say - a real vintage shaver in 2020.

Trac II Set.jpg

I shaved with a Trak II for a few years after I lost my Schick injector handle and couldn't find a new one. I still use them to defuzz my dome. I have a Col. Conk handle that looks very much like yours, but is chrome plated zamak. I have also acquired an original 1971 vintage Gillette handle and a Schick Super II handle from the same era. These are good razors.

I was a brass handle Trac II user for many years, in fact the majority of my adult life. I recently acquired a set with the brush handle (I knotted it with a boar bristle) to replace the one that I had used. The notches that keep the head on eventually wore down and couldn't keep the head one anymore and I bought a Mach 3. A couple years later I went back to DE. I've never seen one with a stand, though. Very nice.

If memory serves, the Trac II was my first "real" razor after using Good News disposables. I still keep a handle around because it's fun to take for a spin every now and then. The non-pivoting head makes for a much different shaving experience than the modern cartridges; the lessons learned with a DE will serve you well with the Trac II.

Trac II is not bad as cartridges go. There is no pivoting action, but that makes it more similar to a DE. The razor head is very compact and maneuverable. Two blades is less friction than those modern cartridges with a million blades.

The main problem I recall with the Trac II is clogging. You have to clean out the space between the blades with a small brush or something because it will get filled up and the razor will stop cutting.

I suspect it's a Old Spice gift set. Although the manufacturer Evernice produced similar sets for others such as Franklin Toiletry company etc.

I don't have a set like that but I use a Trac II once in a while when I have to travel by plane with only a carry on bag. They work ok but I much prefer my DE or injector.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Congratulations. I picked up a handle exactly the same one as yours the other day in a second hand shop. The handle was by itself looking so forlorn without its stand and brush. I had to bring it home and look after it. Quite a heavy handle which is what I like. Now to find those carts that I have here somewhere so that I can give it a spin.

I have a set that is rather similar to yours, but it's from the 90's & is made of gold plated brass. I've not used it as TracII systems clog up as soon as they get a good look at my stubble, but it's nice to look at.

Top Bottom