What's new

Modern Shaving System Acquisition Thread.

I just picked up this Wilkinson Sword Pivot Atra compatible razor. Nicely weighted and comfortable in the hand, and as you can see very attractive. Wilkinson Sword always designed nice looking razors.
IMG_0277.JPG

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I recently discovered these two Bic's for trimming my beard line. The Bic Metal and Bic1, both single edge with completely different personalities.
20230613_195628.jpg

I prefer the Bic1 because it is easier to use steep on my neck, and the $1.28 price for a 5 pack at the local Dollar Store doesn't' hurt either.

~doug~

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1414.jpg

(I originally posted this on the SE aquisition thread, I only just found this more appropiate thread today, it wasn't the easiest to find)

I got this pack of KAI "T Type" single edge disposable razors yesterday. I'll begin by saying I have never been a fan of disposables or cartridges due to waste and price, I have used a DE safety razor since I was 15, but my curiosity got the better of me. These where quite cheap ($3.30 AUD at Daiso for a 7 pack) and looked interesting. The metal construction and cardboard packaging means very little plastic is used (although the blade holder/guard is plastic). The metal handle is probably much easier to recycle than plastic handled BIC (or the like).

It seems similar to the KAI Gold-S, the main difference I can seem to find is that the Gold-S uses stainless blades while the Daiso model uses carbon steel blades. I don't know how common this is for disposables to use carbon steel blades, I presume most would use stainless.

I have searched the forum for discussion about single edge disposables that people reccomend, and most of them (BIC Metal, Gillette Guard etc) aren't available where I live, only the basic yellow BIC.

I have seen someone on here mod these razors to take half a DE blade, but I don't think I'm that brave.

I tried it out today. My hopes wheren't high regarding performance, but it worked better than I expected. It is smooth (after I worked out the angle), but I missed some spots trimming the mutton chops as the blade is further from the sides compared to my usual DE. It was also a little difficult to do an upwards pass due to the angle of the head to the handle. It was also a little difficult trimming close to the mutton chops as the head is flat. It will probably work better for someone going for a complete shave in one or two passes. The size and weight didn't feel like it impacted the shave too much, it wasn't hard to use light pressure and there was no flex in the handle. It probably is a one-and-done blade, I can try a second shave but my hopes aren't high. Not sure how I'd rate it next to BIC or BIC Sensitive.

Ah, I couldn't resist. For the amount of electric shaving I do (cheeks and side burns while at work) I though "why not". Remington hf9000 aka heritage razor.

View attachment 1751068
Should have arrived yesterday (23rd) but instead got an email to say out of stock and on back order. Cack! So have contacted the vendor to cancel the order and get a refund.

In the mean time I've consoled myself with a black friday sale on AliExpress of the babyliss pro copy. The kemei TX1 in silver.

Screenshot_20231124-110548.png

With the sale price, free shipping its come in at the just around the same price as my Kemei 2024 from Amazon when on special .

VideoCapture_20231229-103755.jpg

I've been wanting a vintage atra, since I tried the Gillette 7:00 P2, the Gillette Atra was the razor my dad used, he had a metal handle one though. I found the handle in his belonging when he passed away in 05, I lost it a long time ago.I found this New Old Stock plastic handle one for 18 bucks shipped. One thing I'm confused about is there's a quarter code but no letter code on it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_9939.jpeg

The famed BIC Metal single blade disposable. I bought three of the five packs and three of the ten packs from the Reject Shop out here in Australia. I should be right for quite a while.

I found a NOS Deluxe Trac II set, with case and blades, even the outer plastic sleeve. I've bought and sold a few over the years, but I think I'll keep this one. I'm partial to the brown and gold razor handle, and it shaves me smoother than the Sensor, which is why I keep returning to it.

Attachments

• tII.jpg
    tII.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom