What's new

Modern Shaving System Acquisition Thread.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
5775ADED-5B02-49AB-9303-AA7CDA5E337D.jpeg 8413910E-3872-4C50-AF8D-86A6A209F5A9.jpeg 7CC31FBA-ABE2-4328-BF05-499E9219504B.jpeg 966B1487-2B9E-4EF4-A392-69CF07760BC5.jpeg
This thread is for all Modern Shaving System Acquisitions. I looked back through the last 14 pages and could find no Acquisition Threads like other forums here have. So lets have one. Feel free to post all your Modern Shaving Acquisition purchases here. Anything Modern is permissible, either purchased new or second hand. Electric, rechargeable, twin blade, multi blade, disposable, foils, vintage twin cart. I purchased this twin blade cartridge razor at a second hand store in a nearby town. It is made in Italy and is marked Martini Italy. It weighs in at 88 grams loaded with a blade and set me back a whopping $5.00. It needs a really good clean and should polish up reasonably well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
0DDDAE89-408D-487D-A76D-99396E817BE9.jpeg 4D760FA0-0330-446C-8D9F-8D4A094885E1.jpeg 66564CA4-59DD-44FA-83A5-7B6AA1A62925.jpeg 19EE6FF1-D81F-4B13-94E4-7F4999F8F1A1.jpeg
I had this old beast turn up during the week. I bought a group of DE and SE razors off eBay here in Australia. This was in the lot. I didn’t particularly want it but the seller sent it anyway. It is a Remington 60. It has a mans name in it and the year 1960. The address doesn’t match where the shaver was sent from. There is about 900 kilometres and in different states. I have not plugged it and I may not try to see if it is working from home. I might take it to work and try out a power point/outlet there so if it blows the fuse it is not at my home. What have other members been buying?

Tried the Taconic Atra handle, with Gilltte Atra, Personna Triflex and still have the Contour. So far the Personna tug and pull, will not be using them.
The Gillette Atra original carts were much smoother, but without the 'spring mounting' of the Sensor, the shave seems more prone to irritation if pressure is used, similar that way to a DE shave. Have to rememer that in the future. Got a close shave so will try that again, and the Contour carts are coming up.
At the moment, the Sensor gives a better overall shave.

Picked up a Bic Flex 5 Hybrid and some extra carts from Amazon, since my local Meijer was sold out. Once my Mach 3 carts are gone, I think I'm going to travel the Bic road for a while.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
7794085A-6B8A-4210-9644-1516CFB1DD3A.jpeg D47D6D5E-6F76-4A8D-A907-7860AC3F32A0.jpeg EC018D15-8B5B-4973-9836-B70AB18520A3.jpeg
Mail Call,
Had these 3 Cartridge handles turn up in the mail, the came from the usual auction site. Two Schick handles and a Gillette handle. The round Schick handle is surprisingly heavy and weighs in at 52 grams on my scales. Now to find some blades and have some fun.

Xmas came early .

Huge haul of vintage Wilkinson sword profile pivoting cartridges still in their boxes.

500 in perfect NOS condition .

I’m set for life !
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think I'm going to travel the Bic road for a while.

Not a bad road at all. I really like the Flex 5. In fact, I've really changed my tune on Bic razors in general. I never liked them before, but a couple of months ago got a fixed head 3 blade bic from my dad, that got me to try them again and I'm glad I did.

Hi Xmas came twice this summer

Received this box of razors and carts from a bulk auction.

3x Gillette Aluminum Atra Razors
1x Gillette Bakelite Atra Razor
1x Gillette Brown handle Atra Razor
1x Gillette Ladies Just Whistle Atra Razor

1x Gillette Trac II in case with blades (new unused condition)
2x Gillette Deluxe Trac II Gold Tone cartridge covers with unused cartridges
1x Gillette Trac II Demonstrator Razor

2x Schick Slim Twin Razors
1x Schick Super II Plus (Atra style) Razor
5x Schick Tracer Razors
5x Bic disposable Razors (going in the trash lol)

A whole bag of Tracer/Gillette cartridges

I got the whole lot for much less than buying the Atras and Trac II individually. I paid a lot more for my individual Aluminum Atra razors I bought last month. So basically the Schicks and the cartridges came free.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hi Xmas came twice this summer

Received this box of razors and carts from a bulk auction.

3x Gillette Aluminum Atra Razors
1x Gillette Bakelite Atra Razor
1x Gillette Brown handle Atra Razor
1x Gillette Ladies Just Whistle Atra Razor

1x Gillette Trac II in case with blades (new unused condition)
2x Gillette Deluxe Trac II Gold Tone cartridge covers with unused cartridges
1x Gillette Trac II Demonstrator Razor

2x Schick Slim Twin Razors
1x Schick Super II Plus (Atra style) Razor
5x Schick Tracer Razors
5x Bic disposable Razors (going in the trash lol)

A whole bag of Tracer/Gillette cartridges

I got the whole lot for much less than buying the Atras and Trac II individually. I paid a lot more for my individual Aluminum Atra razors I bought last month. So basically the Schicks and the cartridges came free.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Another great haul, congratulations. Did you get them off the bay?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
237957A3-539B-4069-ABF8-A26D04D5E61F.jpeg B3CA8BA8-6CDA-4D0F-84BB-480581F08271.jpeg 821F3EF5-BCA3-408C-9AC8-AC759D9CD7CB.jpeg
From Romania to Cootamundra, some carts to go with the Cartridge handles that I posted about earlier. I got them off the usual auction place.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
D56E89D5-DEEE-4E1F-9BE8-9438029EE3CD.jpeg
4C759515-68BE-4C50-88F8-3081659EBCD6.jpeg

I picked up these Single Edge disposable razors in a cheap bargain type store in Goulburn here in New South Wales on the weekend. Six razors for $2.95. I had to get them just for the sake of it and will give them a try later. I cannot tell you much about them other than I think they are Japanese but I stand to be corrected on that. There is no English writing on them at all.

Wow that is a great collection of electric razors. I am curious about your opinion on the new head design on the S7000 Philips.

Thanks! Several vintage models in the past, traded or sold as well (and maybe stashed in the basement somewhere, if I could find them!). The angular head was a puzzle to me, until I fiddled with it in Philips' new cleaner - the Quick Clean Pod system. It occurs to me now that they specifically designed it to stabilize the shaver in the cleaner - it really doesn't seem to have a functional purpose using it. The cleaning "station" is just a container that holds a small "pod" of the cleaning solution, and the shaver just sits in it head-first - no other support. I think if the heads were the traditional round Philips heads, it would potentially slip around, but that's just a theory. There doesn't seem to be an advantage shaving with it, compared to say the S7940. Same "frictionless" rings, except the angled head has more space on one side of the "pentagon" before you actually reach the combs and cutters, so you can't actually shave as close to your ear or nose on that side for example. In practical use, the shape of the ComfortGlide rings doesn't help or hinder the shave, it just makes you use a different technique than using the round heads. The cutters themselves (SH71/52) are an improvement, and do seem to provide a closer and more comfortable shave than any other Philips heads I've used, and I really like them. Again no practical difference as far as shavers, because all of Philips' recent shavers use a standard 20mm comb, so the heads are essentially interchangeable between any of their shavers. A couple of things I like - and don't - with the new Series 7000 shavers are the integral trimmer and the flip-top head cassette. No more swapping heads to trim, or removing heads to clean. The "don't like" part is that they add bulk and weight to the shaver, and the trimmer isn't quite as effective as Philips' standard removable trimmer. Overall, pretty impressed, and it's my new favorite rotary, warts and all.

20210326_154155.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ctr
Top Bottom