What's new

modern 'replacement' for Gilette New ?

Hi folks -

My trusty Gilette New (for me, the best shaver I've used, and I've tried a good number) is on its last legs.

I'd welcome recommendations for a modern simple, 3-piece, open comb 'replacement'.

Thanks kindly,

- Richard

Base is failing -- twisting the bottom 'pole' just rotates without tightening.

Teflon tape

proxy.php

There are a fair number of modern razors similar to the new type in the way they shave ranging from modest priced to outrageous priced.

What exactly are you looking for?

If you really want a "modern" razor, you could dry the Ikon Deluxe OC - it's very similar (or perhaps a copy? :lol: :thumbup: ) of the New Deluxe… not exactly the same as your New, but very similar.

That said, for quite a few reasons, I'd suggest instead that you just find yourself a new short comb or long comb new (and by new I mean a new Vintage NEW). They can be had for virtually less than shipping on the Ikon deluxe. (That's an exaggeration, but not by much).

That said, for quite a few reasons, I'd suggest instead that you just find yourself a new short comb or long comb new (and by new I mean a new Vintage NEW). They can be had for virtually less than shipping on the Ikon deluxe. (That's an exaggeration, but not by much).

IMO, there is no modern razor that is as good as a vintage NEW. Just buy another one. You should get another 85 years out of it!:001_cool:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/447949-Safety-Razor-of-the-Month-March-2015-Gillette-NEW

+1

There's nothing like the original.

If you really want a "modern" razor, you could dry the Ikon Deluxe OC - it's very similar (or perhaps a copy? :lol: :thumbup: ) of the New Deluxe… not exactly the same as your New, but very similar.
This is your best bet if you want a stainless gillette lookalike. It is not a direct clone, it is milder than the New is. Last time I looked, Ikon had a clearance set with the oc head plus the standard baseplate for like $80. The standard baseplate is more aggressive. However, not everyone wants to buy from Ikon.

Bottom line: Gillette NEW's from the 1930's in both the LC and the SC versions are common, plentiful on the bay and elsewhere on the 'net, and they are usually comparatively inexpensive. They also pop up occasionally in antique stores.

What's the diff btw the LC and SC?

The length of the combs? :tongue_sm

Easiest to get a good condition NEW ?

Post a WTB ad in the GDF subforum.

As for the differences between LC and SC, IMO the SC is slightly milder, but it's still a very nice shaver.

I prefer the LC and the more efficient versions like the English RFB and the Deluxe, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the milder NEWs such as the SC or the UK Flat Bottoms, they're all nice and there's only one way to find out if you like them or not.

Top Bottom