What's new

Modern Razors for a Krona Lover

Hey Folks,

Coming up on a birthday and I'm interested in asking for a new razor. First, per my thread title, my daily driver for months since its acquisition has been my lovely gold Krona. What I love about it and what qualities I would look for in a new razor is how effortless the shave is. It's buttery smooth with enough efficiency for my needs. Shaving for me is relaxation and a calling ritual to start my day - so I've never gotten on board with razors requiring "respect" or it will bite.

My goal in buying any new razor would be maximizing smoothness with efficiency. Coming from a Krona I would also prefer minimal blade feel but I'm willing to compromise for the right razor. But essentially I'm looking for something modern to throw into my rotation that captures that Krona feel while being a possible upgrade in efficiency without a significant sacrifice in smoothness.

It's a birthday gift so I'm open to all price points. I've looked at everything from some models of Timeless and Charcoal to even the SLOC and Lupo and everything in between. Apparently the Colonial Silversmith would have been ideal but, alas, no longer in stock.

Look forward to your insights!

Edit: Let me add. My current selection is small, consisting of a Canadian Tech, Baby Smooth, and Colonial Generals in brass and aluminum.

I vote for a Timeless! Several razors to choose from, but might suggest Titanium .68 SB base. More heft than the Krona but smooth and efficient.

I would suggest a Karve STainless Steel Razor with B plate straight Bar or Open Comb. (Karve opened up the wait list once again;its up to 149/250 spots) Timeless Ti.68 SB or Oc would be my 2nd suggestion. GL and hope you get what you wish for on your Bday! Happy Shaving :)

Edit: Another great choice would be the RR Gamechanger.68, how could I forget!!

Last edited:
Is replating out of the question? I wonder if Delta Echo does Kronas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Coming from a Krona I would also prefer minimal blade feel but I'm willing to compromise for the right razor. But essentially I'm looking for something modern to throw into my rotation that captures that Krona feel while being a possible upgrade in efficiency without a significant sacrifice in smoothness...

The Krona is in the same ballpark as the legendary Tech razor with a blade gap of approx. 0.025" + or - 0.003". That is the "Goldilocks Zone" that the vast majority call "just right".

I'd vote for the Rockwell 6S or 6C for a low stress autopilot type shave.
IMO a very forgiving and smooth razor, plus you can vary the aggression.

You'll find that a Black Handle Gillette Super Speed will shave as good, or likely better than your Krona (I have both & like both equally). Why spend a bundle when you can get a vintage razor for less? Leaves mo' money to by mo' razors, too.

I've been enjoying the Razorock Mamba .53. Very mild razor but still efficient. I hear that Krona is a mild one as well. I gotta try it out soon.

If you love the Krona: I think the 6s is your best bet if you want that easy, smooth, mindless, quick shave that the Krona gives.

Happy Birthday! :a50::a50::a50:

You have the ‘usual suspects’ above!! (Why not pick two/three, given your ‘budget’ range?)

There are so many options. First question is in what price range? Just because a razor is in the 200+ price zone doesn't mean it will give you a great shave. Sure the craftsmanship will be top notch but a 40 dollar razor will also last forever if you don't drop it or mishandle it. The truth is most high end razors will give you a nice shave. Timeless, Karve, Rocnel Elite, Wolfman, Pils and there are more. My Holy Grail razor is a immaculate 21 Rhodium British Aristocrat. Out of all the TTO's it's the mother shave. I have a suggestion. Pick up a Fatip Piccolo open comb v2 version(2017 they made it a tad milder) it's a amazing razor. Very smooth, efficient and very comfortable. It's a all brass razor for under 20 bucks...let that sink in! I have 50 razors and after my 21 Rhodium British Aristocrat the Fatip Piccolo is a close second. Don't let the open comb discourage you the open comb is made like that to rake in the lather so you will always have cushion from your lather. So there, Fatip Piccolo you'll love it.

The Krona is a hard act to follow. However. My DE89 gives an excellent smooth shave on par with the DE Schick. Also I've been told that the ATT Windsor also gives a smooth shave very similar to the DE 89.

Top Bottom