What's new

Modern Razor for Vintage Shaver?

I've been wet shaving with a DE razor for about the last 10 years (this time around...I learned to shave with one back in the dark ages), but up until now, the only modern razor I've used is an Edwin Jagger DE89. All my other razors (several dozen) are vintage Gillettes, covering pretty much the entire history of Gillette DE razors. I like using the DE89 occasionally; I find it pretty mild and usually use a Feather blade to make up for the mildness.

However, it seems like there has been a profusion of modern, high-quality DE razors over the past few years. I'm wondering if I have missed out on something? Are these new razors as good as...or even better than.. the vintage Gillettes I have been using? I'm a daily shaver with a fairly light beard, so I'm not looking for something super aggressive. Give me some recommendations, preferably reasonably priced, and let's see if this old dog can learn some new tricks!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Enjoy your journey!
1618960088097.gif

Lots of great options! Rockwell and Karve are economical and very good. The Pearl Flexi is a delightful adjustable that blows the Fatboy, Slim & Black Beauty away! Rex is the next step up in material and finish (and price).

Timeless (which I have not tried), Above The Tie, (the previously mentioned Rex) and several others are pushing past the $200 mark, and are very good, but are a higher investment to see, "if I really want to..."

There are lots of great modern razors out there. Some of the ones I use are Yates, Blackbird, EJ 3one6, Muhle Rocca, RR Lupo and my favorite the Henson Ti22 titanium. If you're looking for something that shaves great, has a unique design, and a different kind of face feel, check out Henson.

Tons of good stuff out there......good luck and have fun.

It would be a good idea to get a modern adjustable. The Merkur Progress has been around for a while but it's also a great razor. Alternatively the Rockwell 6C would be an excellent choice too.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk
I've used Gillette adjustables (Fat Boy, Slim) for years and honestly, never messed much with changing settings. Set it and forget it.

The Rockwell 6C and 6S intrigue me. Are they basically the same razors...one alloy and the other stainless steel?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've been wet shaving with a DE razor for about the last 10 years (this time around...I learned to shave with one back in the dark ages), but up until now, the only modern razor I've used is an Edwin Jagger DE89. All my other razors (several dozen) are vintage Gillettes, covering pretty much the entire history of Gillette DE razors. I like using the DE89 occasionally; I find it pretty mild and usually use a Feather blade to make up for the mildness.

However, it seems like there has been a profusion of modern, high-quality DE razors over the past few years. I'm wondering if I have missed out on something? Are these new razors as good as...or even better than.. the vintage Gillettes I have been using? I'm a daily shaver with a fairly light beard, so I'm not looking for something super aggressive. Give me some recommendations, preferably reasonably priced, and let's see if this old dog can learn some new tricks!

Please define "reasonably priced". :)

Here is a comparison of razors in the (approximately) $75 - $125 range:

Hope this helps. :)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I would heartily endorse an Above the Tie Windsor SSR1. It is gorgeous, supremely comfortable, and efficient, and it can be tweaked with M or H plates. Plus the little drainage holes look cool in a steampunk way. I got a Kronos handle for better grip than the standard Atlas provides.

I've used Gillette adjustables (Fat Boy, Slim) for years and honestly, never messed much with changing settings. Set it and forget it.

The Rockwell 6C and 6S intrigue me. Are they basically the same razors...one alloy and the other stainless steel?
Yeah there's the stainless steel as well as chrome/alloy versions. I have the chrome and it's an absolutely lovely razor. So well built and a very very smooth and efficient shaver.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
RAZOROCK has produced exquisite machined razors, and provides a variety of efficiency options from mild to intense, as well as a variety of beautiful or gripping handle options. All of this is in the price range of 50 to 70 US dollars.

The price of DE89 or the hyped vintage razor in some areas may be higher than this.

Also worth mentioning is the latest "Muramasa" by tatara.
There is no spring structure, and the width of the movable safety bar is used to change the exposure, which is refreshing.

Top Bottom