Modern May, 2023

Modern May Wednesday shave

Razor: WSC/Yates Winning razor w/ Razorock Vintage Thin Bar Handle
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Soap: Tabac Original tallow
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic
Post shave: Omega alum block
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

This was a three pass shave, no buffing or touch ups. The Winning razor, along with the Astra SP produced an epic shave.

10/10 BBS

Have a great day and enjoy your shaves.

20230522_075026.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR3 Bronze, Rod George handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Paladin Chief, B&B 2023 Contributor brush
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Zingari Man The Gent
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented

SOTD MAY 24th
May 2023 GRUME
Modern May 2023

Hello friends

Today I said goodbye to my two-week goatee that faithfully kept my chin company during its restoration.

To handle it, I resorted to one of my favorite duos: R41 and Feather (4). Semogue SOC Boar, SV 70th Anniversary, Rapozo Alum Block, Thayers and Ach Britto Atlântico were splendid.

In this herculean task, I was accompanied by Mr. Tony Bennett who took me to the moon.

Rating: 9,5

Have a nice day and great shaves.
❤️🪒

039F3DBB-AED2-4988-A3EC-03D72E3941DE.jpeg
IMG_8663.jpeg

IMG_5030.jpeg

IMG_5027.jpeg

Razor: Tatara Masamune Ti
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (d9)

Lather: Barrister & Mann 42
Brush: AKA Brushworx Abalone 26mm AK4
Bowl: AKA Brushworx Abalone (3-Pass)

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum w/ No-Slip Grip System & Dry Dock System
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann 42

Seeing as it's May 25th (somewhere here on spaceship Earth, let's say Australia) and that I only shave every other day, I'm calling this my Towel Day shave. This is in honor of Douglas Adams and his authorship of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. So, in terms of software, this choice was an easy one. I mean, there is no better choice. Am I right? Oh, who cares what you think? "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."

"Don't Panic." Just because I don't own any cool Lancaster Razor Works towels or any equivalent of the like doesn't mean I can't pay my respects to a creative and fascinating man. So, I present to you 42 from Barrister & Mann.

The lather was as beautiful as ever. It was dense, creamy, slick, and smelled fantastic! Simply put, 42 really is a lovely fragrance, one worthy of the dapper hitchhiker I am. I only wish I had the EdT to go along with the shaving gear because I'd love to proudly project and show off this amazing intergalactic fragrance to others.

Hardware wise I used what I thought was my most Sci-Fi looking razor in the Tatara Masamune Ti. This razor, let me tell you, shaves so smoothly it's remarkable. It's guaranteed to give you an efficient, low-to-no-irritation shave. Depending on how you use it of course. I do have to say though, that I really do enjoy using this razor.

I did three passes and some against-the-grain buffing to earn a nice bbs face. Even with my blade being on its ninth use, this razor and soap combo shined and all I can say is that I had a wonderful time. Then again, "time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

And with that, my fellow hitchhikers we've reached the end of my Towel Day shave. Thank you for coming along for the ride.

Just know that "the answer to the great question... of Life, the Universe and Everything... is... forty two."

Today’s Modern razor shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.

Razor: Blackland Era

Blade: Schick Germany

Soap/cream: HSSC Tobacco Oud​

Brush: Eveready with a G5 knot.
Balm: Nivea sensitive cooling post shave balm

Aftershave: Old Spice

DFS

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Modern May 2023
Razor: Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
Brush: Paladin Chief B&B 2023 Contributors Brush (Paladin 26mm Two-band Synthetic Semi-Bulb/Hybrid knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20230524_195403~2.jpg

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12254777

Date25.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE145/365 (100%)
145/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
25/29 (94%)
25/31 (100%)
Modern May20/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCL
Gillette Black (16)Simpson T3
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Superb shave today with excellent gear. I couldn’t retire the blade so today saw performance number 16. Still working. One edge slightly more present then the other, but no tugging or pulling.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
7D289FF1-9903-425F-8990-9A2ECCE65A32.jpeg

Modern May Shave Number Twenty Five.
1) China: Brush Yaqi Rainbow No 26 Synthetic Horsehair.
2) USA: Shaving Soap OZ Shaving Tik Tok Tobacco and Coffee Shaving Soap.
3) China: Razor Jack the Barber DE razor.
4) India: Razor Blade Gillette 7 O’clock Black.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Australia: Aftershave Balm The Stray Whisker After Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Nautica Blue.

Modern May '23

Cream: Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head - Karve Cu CB OC B w/ Personna Lab
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

10/10

Ordinary. What an ok shave. It wasn't bad. But compared to yesterday with the sold bar it didn't outshine it or match it.

The OC B plate seemed to have maybe a bit of blade feel to it though it's supposed to be blade neutral as well. I wouldn't say it was more efficient then yesterday as the solid bar B plate was surprisingly efficient for how mild it was. But the slightly more blade feel did feel slightly more aggressive and irritated my neck more.

For a daily driver I would hands down go with the solid bar B plate. One thing I didn't note down yesterday is the solid bar is scalloped which is probably my favorite style. Another reason that the Karve Christopher Bradley attracted my attention. One of many.

For the open comb I'd go ahead and just get a more aggressive baseplate. I can't imagine how mild the A plate would be with smaller gap and negative blade exposure. This open comb may have some use as a Frankenrazor. I'll have to try and swap on other top caps to try with it.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s opulent and stupendous shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC on PAA el Fantasma handle
Schick Proline P-Series (5)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush 48/100
Pre-shave: slopped wet brush around whiskers
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola shaving soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Used more soap last night. Took more time, was a little less slick, and dulled my sense of touch just enough to help get a few weepers there and here. Slack skin technique helped with closeness and to avoid razor burn. Was left with impression I can do better next time. And the handle glows in the dark so that was fun.

Modern May, Day 25

20230525_142841-01.jpeg

Another fine "MM shave" is in the books, Blackland Blackbird SS today - it goes without saying that it's been a brilliant shave... the B'Birds are favorites of mine, they rarely dissapoint. Excellent balance of efficiency, maneuverability and a nice load of blade feel.😁

Cheers!

The OC B plate seemed to have maybe a bit of blade feel to it though it's supposed to be blade neutral as well. I wouldn't say it was more efficient then yesterday as the solid bar B plate was surprisingly efficient for how mild it was
I think I read on the Karve website that they view OC aggression as one step up of the SB aggression, so if you have a B SB plate a similar level of aggression with be the OC C plate. If you then have the SB and OC at B level that would explain you finding todays OC shave less than your SB shave. That is if you indeed have the SB and OC at the same level.

I think the Karve looks amazing with all that brass but the way. One of my favourite razors to look at. Which is exactly what I do as I don’t have one!

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom