Fatip Grande
Gillette Nacet (1)
AP ShaveCo Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush 46/100
Pre-shave: slopped wet brush around whiskers
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola shaving soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Yesterday morning’s Micromatic shave grew out faster than expected. By nighttime, another shave was in order and had. And a bread-tie shim was added to the Micromatic to smooth out its next use… Also, my brush was washed in a mixture of soda ash, a pinch of citric acid, and mineral-laden well water. Worked, erm, well!

Wet my face and neck with the brush, rubbed the puck on same like a shave stick, and painted a very thin lather.

Back to slack skin against the blade for the night’s shave. A kid-tested/mother-approved Nacet was put in the Fatip Grande. Much better than the Astra Superior Platinum from last time but still had a weeper or two under the jawline and a few missed spots. Overall, it was close, but that means nothing unless the shave is bloodless. Still surprised at how well it works and how it doesn’t feel like I need to be on my toes the whole time.

IMG_5685.jpeg

WR2 Ti .85 • Nacet • V&C VC01 • DG

Modern May '23

Cream: Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head - Yaqi Harlequin w/ Personna Lab
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

💯

Outstanding. Yaqi really nailed it with the Harlequin. What a great homage to the #162 Goodwill. The top cap and bottom plate are a bit thicker, combs a bit thicker, and the bottom plate isn't fully round but other then that they are a lot alike. The Harlequin took the Old Type Goodwill and made it better.

The blade is extremely secure on the alignment posts on the bottom plate and the top cap is precisely fit to the bottom plate. Absolutely no wiggle room. That's the one flaw to the Goodwill's that you have to be careful about the blade alignment as there's space around the posts for both the blade and top cap.

The shave? Wow, much better then I thought it was going to be. Very similar to an Old Type in feel and efficiency. To me the Old Type Goodwill's feel a little more aggressive with blade feel then the thin top cap standard Old Type. This was similar. A little blade feel to it but not overly aggressive. I'd say the standard Blackbird has more blade feel.

The efficiency was there in spades. Like doing maybe just barely an 1/8 turn back on a standard Old Type. Very little to touch up on after. This had a nice wide shaving range too. Want more aggressive then ride the top cap. Want to calm it down a bit rid more toward the comb.

Getting to tight places? Even with the thicker head compared to the Old Type Goodwill it was very easy to get up under the nose and the elusive hairs between the nostrils.

I couldn't be happier. This was the closest feeling modern razor to a Old Type I've used so far. And an extremely close shave.

Modern May for Tuesday -

Razor: Pearl Flexi (3)
Blade: Persona USA (1)
Pre-shave: Razor Emporium pre-shave soap
Lather: RE Old School shave soap
Aftershave: RE Barbershop balm

The Flexi is an excellent razor for me. I keep going back to it. The angle is entirely intuitive for me and it "just works." Excellent shave today 👍

Prep: Face wash with Noxzema
Blade: Silver Star (2nd)
Razor: Haircut-&-Shave Ti Efficient
Brush: Trafalgar T1 Synth
Soap: Canada Shave Soap
Aftershave: Stirling's Deep Blue Sea

Another gratifying shave with the Silver Star blade. Just two passes and a little touch-up for that great fresh-shaved feeling. Happy shaves to all ...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Modern May 2023
Razor: Lambda Athena (TiBam Radiator Titanium Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Brush: Paladin Chief B&B 2023 Contributors Brush (Paladin 26mm Two-band Synthetic Semi-Bulb/Hybrid knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20230522_140419~2.jpg

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12253103

Evening!

23rd day of May.

Razor: Razorock Lupo .58 stainless with titanium halo handle
Blade: Feather (2)
Soap: TFS P-671
Brush: Omega Pro Boar
Aftershave: Osage Rub

Almost perfect, just the slightest bit of stubble left on the neck, didn't feel like chasing it today. The titanium handle feels night and day better to me on this razor than the stainless heavier handle I had on it. Cheers

Date24.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE144/365 (100%)
144/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
24/29 (94%)
24/31 (100%)
Modern May19/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine Flatboy /w KCG handle
Gillette Black (15)DVH Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

The Flatboy can be a hit and miss razor for me, but pairing it with the KCG handle and using a more shallow angle is to me like I have cracked its code. And the last couple of shaves with it were simply amazing. The Flatboy is uncompromising in its shaves, but if you respect it and go slowly (this is in my view definitely not a quick shave and out the door kind of razor) it provides you very close and comfortable shaves. All brass and stainless for under $60 - what more could you want, right?

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
11A9EB22-4AD1-4E8A-98F5-1D73ACA27C91.jpeg

Modern May Shave Number Twenty Four.
1) United Kingdom: Brush Hawkins and Brimble Synthetic Brush.
2) Italy: Shaving Cream Figaro Shaving Cream.
3) China: Razor Jack the Barber DE razor.
4) India: Razor Blade Gillette 7 O’clock Black.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Replenishing Post Shave Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Adidas Ice Dive.

Modern May '23

Cream: Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head - Karve Cu CB SB B w/ Personna Lab
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

10/10

Exceptional. What a great shave. I really wanted another copper razor and I've been looking at Karve for a while. I really like the options from materials used, handle lengths, gap/exposure levels, top cap types, etc. Really able to dial in what one wants.

I really like copper for a razor though it is a softer metal. It's also heavy so if you like light get something else. I like that it takes up the heat of the water quickly. Feels nice while shaving.

The handle turned out to be great. I got it at 3.25". I like between 3.25-3.5" lengths and knew the copper was going to give it some weight so I went with the low end of my preferred range. When I first held on to the handle I was a bit disappointed in that it did not feel very grippy. In the shower though and with the slick lucky tiger it gripped really well. I have this handle now sitting with my other preferred handles and not in my infrequently used box of handles.

I went with the neutral blade exposure to start with. Both solid bar and open comb. This was a great choice for me as a daily shaver. I was also happy that it did not have a tiny window to shave in. I could ride both the bar and more toward the top cap. Makes the razor more versatile. It was also a very forgiving and a very smooth shave. Amazingly it was all that and fairly efficient. A perfect daily driver.

Top Bottom