What's new

Modern Gillette and Schick Cartridge Razors

Brethren, I haven't used a Schick or Gillette cartridge razor in maybe 20 or more years.

I go into a large chain drug store and I see maybe 6 or 7 brands and models of cartridge razors, all expensive, and I have no idea how they generally perform and rate with the average shaver.

I would be interested if there if any consensus in which are the better and more user friendly Gillette and Schick cartridge systems, and which are less desirable? I have shaved recently with a vintage Gillette ATRA, and I liked it very much, but that is the extent of my recent experience.

My inquiry is academic. I have no desire to change from traditional or vintage DE and SE razors. Thanks in advance for your observations and counsel.

Before I acquired my very first DE, I used a Gillette Fusion for a couple of months. It was nice, it was moderately smooth, and the pivoting head made slight curves easier...but those 5 blade heads felt enormous and honestly the wall o blades was intimidating for a while...and the prices, ugh.

I'm very fond of the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 razor (I believe that this is Schick outside the UK). The fact that the lubricant reservoir flips back from the top of the razor exposing all blades fully makes it very good at detail shaving and easier to freshen on a RazorPit. Very close shaves are possible with this razor.

Wish I could help, but it has been a long time since I purchased a new cart (and that was a Mach 3).

I have about 50 twin blade Gillette Good News. If I ever have an occasion to use a cart that's the one. Alternately I have a bunch of Sensor two blade disposables that work almost identically, but I prefer the Good News.

Like BigJ and Santamariasteve, I haven't used a cartridge razor in so long I've forgotten who gets tied up.

(Oh, wait . . . that's another scenario entirely . . .)

I used some Bic disposables when I fled from a hurricane in 2012, as I'd forgotten to pack my Norelco. They were not great, but they produced a closer shave than the worn heads of the electric. After I returned home, I started looking into DE shaving. So I can't recall which multi-blade models I occasionally used in the '80s and '90s.

The Atra or Mach or Sonic, or whatever I used back then, was fine, but it was not something you'd want to collect. And I still often nicked myself using it.

For me it's the Gillette products. Specifically the Mach 3 Turbo (yes the Turbo makes a difference for me). I have never had good luck with Schick. Having said that I rarely use a cart anymore. The 1-2 blade disposables are garbage on my face.

Like BigJ and Santamariasteve, I haven't used a cartridge razor in so long I've forgotten who gets tied up.

(Oh, wait . . . that's another scenario entirely . . .)

I used some Bic disposables when I fled from a hurricane in 2012, as I'd forgotten to pack my Norelco. They were not great, but they produced a closer shave than the worn heads of the electric. After I returned home, I started looking into DE shaving. So I can't recall which multi-blade models I occasionally used in the '80s and '90s.

The Atra or Mach or Sonic, or whatever I used back then, was fine, but it was not something you'd want to collect. And I still often nicked myself using it.

Have only used the Gillette good news. Felt like I was the one tied up. But in a pinch, on the road, with hair conditioner, one can scrape off whiskers.

Gillette brand, Mach3's, are the best compromise for me. I tried hard with many different DE's and blades for 4 years or so. My skin is just too sensitive, I can't use the Fusion either. I get 7 good shaves per cartridge using a Razorpit. I sometime wish they made a Mach2.

Babyface Ron

I came back to DE's in 2014. Prior to that I was using Sensor Excel and Shick Tracer. Still have both handles. They are two blade systems. For me, I didn't even try anything with more than two blades. Seemed silly.

Vintage Trac II for me. If two blades are better then one, three blades is overkill and marketing.
+1 I use a Trac II Deluxe for travel, comes in a smart looking super 70's case. Gives great shaves. Also I must admit I received a free gillette pro glide fusion last month for my 18th birthday(I am 47 btw) and I cannot hate the razor, but price point on replacement carts seems ridiculous. I have used it a few times and gotten great comfortable shaves, but when the free cart it came with expires I'm done, aside from the expense, I don't feel the love I get from my 40's style super speed, my daily driver.

I tried every new thing to get a better shave, I found the more blades the more irritation on my neck and more ingrown hairs, the only cart I use now is an Atra a 10 pack is reasonable at most stores when I have to fly carry on

Shaved with a Gillette fusion power for 10 years before converting to DE. Before that a Mach 3. In hindsight think I got better shaves with the Mach 3 but the ad's told me it was the best a man could get so never thought about going back. I did like the vibrating function of the Fusion and didn't get as good shaves when the battery died. I do miss the precision trimmer but I'd never go back to it. Though I'll revisit the Mach 3 at some point to see what it shaves like with my prep as it is now. In my teens I had a little travel razor that you had to screw together and took the twin blade cartridges that I now believe are Trac II clones. IIRC that razor was the best of my carts. SWMBO now uses a razor that takes the same carts so I'm gonna take it for a spin when she's not looking one day.

Top Bottom