What's new

Modern Espresso vs traditional

Thanks, I try not to brag. Only mention it if it is relevant. I was likely one the first to get a production version, there was some sneaky ebay style sniping on my part during the pre-order.:devil:
Well, you SHOULD! It’s a beauty! I checked their site and their still pre selling it. I guess the “sneaky enay style sniping” may have been more like a 24/7 endeavor! Tne handle is a great addition! Congratulations!

Also if you aren't using it, there is supposed to be a contraption for holding your brew chamber on top of your kettle. I think there is a video about making one if you don't want to buy it.

Didn’t know about it. Will check it out, thank you!

Eben Stone

Staff member
I also bought a burr grinder...

Please share the details and give us an update when it arrives.

IMO, the grind is the most make it or break it piece of the puzzle. This is why I dont use a grinder at all, I buy either pre-ground, or buy whole beans at Starbucks and ask them to grind it for me. If they grind it for me I can tell them which grit I want in half steps. I used to take notes about the results from each store and the grit value I requested, just in case there is some inconsistency in the grinders they use. But lately I just ask then to "grind it for espresso." If I owned a burr grinder things would obviously be different.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sure, I got an entry level burr grinder. I will probably invest in a better one later but it should get me started.

it will probably be better than my el cheapo Krupp 20$ grinder.

Luc

Staff member
I have my first situation... Let's call it like that...

I either do not understand the ratios at all versus timing.

In the modern espresso method, you would need to do a 1:2 ratio. So, let say that I put 18 grams of coffee in, I should get around 36 grams of coffee. Now, if I measure the weight using water (my scale doesn't fit under the portafilter once the cup is in place), I would get something like 2-3 sips (bottom of the cup). That would also take around 5 seconds to extract. General rule of thumb is that I need to do my extraction in 20-30 seconds.

So... The water vs coffee weight is either completely off or I'm missing something else.

I believe that my 18 grams going in is correct as it fits in the portafilter and it's full (not too full but there isn't any space either when it's locked in. Like that Beatles song: Help!

ps. still waiting on the burr grinder.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

In the modern espresso method, you would need to do a 1:2 ratio. So, let say that I put 18 grams of coffee in, I should get around 36 grams of coffee. Now, if I measure the weight using water (my scale doesn't fit under the portafilter once the cup is in place), I would get something like 2-3 sips (bottom of the cup). That would also take around 5 seconds to extract. General rule of thumb is that I need to do my extraction in 20-30 seconds.

So... The water vs coffee weight is either completely off or I'm missing something else.

I believe that my 18 grams going in is correct as it fits in the portafilter and it's full (not too full but there isn't any space either when it's locked in. Like that Beatles song: Help!

IMO you are over thinking it. Load the portafilter, start your shot, watch the flow, and cut it off as it begins to "blonde" or the cup/pitcher is full, whichever comes first.

Luc

Staff member
IMO you are over thinking it. Load the portafilter, start your shot, watch the flow, and cut it off as it begins to "blonde" or the cup/pitcher is full, whichever comes first.
I’m probably overthinking this yes. It just doesn’t add up and by far. Anyways, when the grind is regular, it will possibly be easier

Start out trying to hit a volume within a time range. Keep coffee weight consistent. Change your tamp pressure to hit the volume/time range. If you can't change the time by changing the tamp pressure, you will need to change the grind setting. Starting at the finest setting where your machine chokes and work foward.

Thoughts(doesn’t say right or wrong :)).
With espresso the goal is a 16 second draw. If you change the grind you need to change the tamp. Unless you like a different one.
As an employee we were given a pound per month. My wife and I didn’t drink that much. We ended up having a few pounds in the freezer ( which is okay).
We found a favorite.
They changed/ended the blend. !!!
After much searching we found one we love.
Our son gave us a grinder for Christmas. I went months before I used it.
Now we can taste the difference.

Eben Stone

Staff member
to be honest, I didn’t think either. I’m happy with my morning cup. But...

What if, it could be better? I don’t have much to loose.

Ok, I'll bite. Yes, it could be better. I'm actually having a pressure problem with my machine ATM. Tried cleaning it but that only made a slight improvement.

Luc

Staff member
Grinder got here finally. I know it’s not the best out there but it will get me started. I got a good deal on that bodum bistro. A bit less than 100$ cdn.

First grind went to trash.

second grind on the espresso setting (minimum). The grind is uniform. I timed the extraction at 23 seconds which is a bit quicker. 17 grams. Taste was a bit cleaner. Take 2 tomorrow

Grinder got here finally. I know it’s not the best out there but it will get me started. I got a good deal on that bodum bistro. A bit less than 100$ cdn.

First grind went to trash.

second grind on the espresso setting (minimum). The grind is uniform. I timed the extraction at 23 seconds which is a bit quicker. 17 grams. Taste was a bit cleaner. Take 2 tomorrow
Burrs look like these? They are used on several brands

Attachments

• 20210628_172627-01.jpeg
    20210628_172627-01.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210628_172442-01.jpeg
    20210628_172442-01.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 8

Luc

Staff member
Burrs look like these? They are used on several brands
It’s some kind of cone in the middle. I will try to take a picture later

Luc

Staff member
Around 5 days in.

Setting on the grinder to the minimum (finest).

I do a 17 grams in and get a steady shot in 23 seconds.

I might need to go a notch finest but it doesn't allow me.

I will work with the grinder for now and see if I can get a better cup but so far, it's better. The taste is very close to the last cup.

Around 5 days in.

Setting on the grinder to the minimum (finest).

I do a 17 grams in and get a steady shot in 23 seconds.

I might need to go a notch finest but it doesn't allow me.

I will work with the grinder for now and see if I can get a better cup but so far, it's better. The taste is very close to the last cup.

Sounds right to me.

I have my Vario-W Set as fine as It will go and it is fine for me. Someday I will need to readjust the burrs but as long as it performs acceptably there is no rush.

Gees.... it's only a cup of coffee. It's not like you are shaving :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The grinder makes the biggest difference in your espresso. A good grinder with an OK machine and you can get very good coffee, flip those and a great machine with a bad grinder and you will struggle to get good coffee.

Currently I have a Bratza Sette 270 Wi, very good grinder with a Breville infuser machine.

I want to upgrade to a Niche Zero grinder-they are always out of stock

The grinder makes the biggest difference in your espresso. A good grinder with an OK machine and you can get very good coffee, flip those and a great machine with a bad grinder and you will struggle to get good coffee.

Currently I have a Bratza Sette 270 Wi, very good grinder with a Breville infuser machine.

I want to upgrade to a Niche Zero grinder-they are always out of stock

Without a consistent grinder you can't get consistent shots.

I'm still using this beast at Rancho Mick

The convenience and consistency of a Nespresso is impressive. The quality of the product: very very good. Expensive on the long run.
Traditional espresso is far less consistent. Too many variables to be controlled. If you find the right Café, where they have the scale and audience to control all variables cost-efficiently, then you are golden because a good traditional espresso is miles ahead of a "modern" espresso.
I wouldn't call thequality of Nespresso very very good.
I, ld say it's average .

Luc

Staff member
Quick update!

i run steady on the minimum (finest) grind level on the bodum bistro.

I tried 16-17-18 grams in.

Extract is 23 seconds.

18 is difficult to fit in the basket.
16-17 is all right. While 16 is lighter, I believe that 17 is the one.

I will probably need to attack the water next. I’ve been using distilled water for a good time now and everything works fine. But… from what I’m reading, I’m doing it wrong. It’s apparently bad for my machine.

the tap water isn’t great where I am. I use a Britta but the coffee is improved by a few steps more when I use distilled water.

I could install a water softener/filter on the house. Without blowing anything out of proportion, a different kind of pitcher that filter better would be a starting point.

what would fit in this case?

Top Bottom