What's new

Modern Espresso vs traditional

what would fit in this case?
Maybe try Third Wave water espresso formula first. It might give you a good baseline. You may not notice a difference in taste, based on blind studies, but it won't taste worse. And your machine will thank you.

Reactions: Luc
Did you search the interwebs to see if the grinder could be "zeroed" out to a finer position? That would allow the first setting to grind a bit finer, but still might not do what you need. I no longer remember the details of how it was done, but my Kitchenaid stepped grinder could be fine tuned this way, taking the control mechanism off to allow the underlying grind to dialed down just a bit. It did not change the distance between steps, just where the first step started.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thank you, I will have a look

Eben Stone

Staff member
This thread has inspired me to get a new machine. Also the fact that my old machine is a steam powered cheap Krupps and is now taking almost 2 minutes draw for some unknown reason. Cleaning it didn't seem to help. Lasted 21 years. I'll be experimenting tomorrow morning with some Starbucks *blonde* espresso. All the little tricks I learned from dealing with this old machine's inconsistencies are going bye bye. Hopefully my brain isn't mutilate beyond repair from using steam powered for so long.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Nowadays many people gravitate to milk based espresso drinks like cafe latte or Cappuccino. Also lots more people are using milk alternatives, like oat milk. If you are one of those people, I have an inexpensive, quick, and easy suggestion. Buy a Bialetti stovetop coffee maker, a can of either Cafe Bustelo or La Llave, and an Aerolatte or similar inexpensive frother. Load and start the Bialetti, heat your milk (I go about a minute in the microwave), froth your hot milk, and add the coffee. If those types of coffee beverages are a regular habit, using this instead of paying coffee store prices at places like Starbucks will recoup your investment in a few weeks, and it makes a superb and very consistent beverage.

Luc

Staff member
Nice!

Most days I do 16 grams for 20 seconds (it drips for 3 seconds when I shut it).

Eben Stone

Staff member
to be honest, I didn’t think either. I’m happy with my morning cup. But...

What if, it could be better? I don’t have much to loose.
Yes, it could be better. Thanks for the inspiration to try something new. Got myself a new espresso machine. Loving it. Its so much easier to use. But I still don't grind my own beans, I buy from Starbucks and have them grind it for me. I store the grounds in a vacuum canister. So I guess that puts me about half-way to getting out of the coffee ghetto.

20220205_134044.jpg

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Now that everything is getting stable (i.e. using the same equipment and a grain that is consistently grounded the same size. Maybe not enough but at least it's a variable out.

I only buy coffee beans, nothing pre-ground. I tried 3 different bags now and... they all give me different results. Weight is slightly different from one brand to another. The crema is not there for one of the 3 brands. I have to vary from 15 grams to 17 grams depending on the coffee. Overall, it did make my cup better. I guess I'm still looking for the perfect bean but I probably won't find it with the regular grocery coffee. I might need to get something a bit more specialized.

Is there someone near you that roasts?

You can buy online if you can't find a local shop.

Fresh = crema
Too fresh = rootbeer float crema
Too old = little crema

Try a bag that was roasted within the past 7 days for espresso .

Luc

Staff member
Is there someone near you that roasts?

You can buy online if you can't find a local shop.

Fresh = crema
Too fresh = rootbeer float crema
Too old = little crema

Try a bag that was roasted within the past 7 days for espresso .
I can possibly find something around me. That will be my next step!

Luc

Staff member
Time for an update.

My Bodum coffee grinder showed early signs of retirement (weird noise when it was grinding coffee and wasn't turning as fast as usual). It was that noise that you had with an electric motor when something is stuck but it's still turning.

In good old fashion(that thing must be dying), I started looking for a different coffee grinder. However, I bought that grinder a few months ago, I cleaned it here and there but maybe not as often as I should. Some say once a week, it's more once a month. I use it maybe 3 times a week.

I tried cleaning it(a really deep clean) with a paintbrush without any improvements.

I then found a few videos on a few different YouTube channels that recommend using around 1/4 cup of raw rice (regular rice) and grinding that on a medium grind. Normally, I always set the Bodum on maximum to get a finer espresso grind but it never felt like it was small enough.

I thought I could only lose a 1/4 cup of rice so, let's try that.

I put the rice in and then used a 1/4 cup of coffee beans on the regular setting(to get rid of the leftover rice). I could see rice particles so I believe that I used 2x 1/4 cup of coffee beans in the end. I trashed the ground rice and coffee.

The motor was much smoother after.

Now, like a brand-new car after 10,000 km, the grind seems smaller and better. I can fit 18 grams of coffee, sometimes 19 grams (if I feel crazy or lazy to remove 1 gram).

The coffee is now better, I drank 2 cups this morning. The crema was very thick.

never saw this thread before but the title made me thing of the vid that James Hoffman had the other day he had a machine restored and then created a "traditionl older" espresso for it

I appreciate the discussion on the finer points of brewing a good cup of espresso. I like it when guys take their espresso seriously. I take it seriously, but in a different way. My father was Italian and he grew up drinking stove top espresso, black, usually with a splash of home brewed grappa. Just like his father taught him. I have followed in their footsteps, minus the grappa (okay, sometimes with grappa on non work days). Tap water and good ground coffee. Same temperature setting on the stove. Preheat the cup with hot water. Nothing special. But it is what I learned, and still enjoy to this day. I do occassionally enjoy an espresso from a good coffee shop, but the results are always inconsistent, and sometimes disappointing. And it ruins the experience. For me, my stove top method gives me consistent good quality and that is what is most important -- first sip is always proof Dad and grandfather were right.

I appreciate the discussion on the finer points of brewing a good cup of espresso. I like it when guys take their espresso seriously. I take it seriously, but in a different way. My father was Italian and he grew up drinking stove top espresso, black, usually with a splash of home brewed grappa. Just like his father taught him. I have followed in their footsteps, minus the grappa (okay, sometimes with grappa on non work days). Tap water and good ground coffee. Same temperature setting on the stove. Preheat the cup with hot water. Nothing special. But it is what I learned, and still enjoy to this day. I do occassionally enjoy an espresso from a good coffee shop, but the results are always inconsistent, and sometimes disappointing. And it ruins the experience. For me, my stove top method gives me consistent good quality and that is what is most important -- first sip is always proof Dad and grandfather were right.
I'm With you.

I have changed one thing

Now I use a stainless Moka pot on an induction plate. Cold water to start of brew in under 3 minutes. Heat dropped (instant response on induction), and brew for 3 +/- minutes.

When I did Moka pot I would put in boiling water
pull before it sputters and spits or still in the flow stage then run outside under cold water to stop brewing
like razors to each their own taste but this was my fav by a huge margin
I was still more into espresso but this was my 2nd fav and unique enough over espresso it could stand on its own !

never saw this thread before but the title made me thing of the vid that James Hoffman had the other day he had a machine restored and then created a "traditionl older" espresso for it

Yep .Saw that.I've got one of those groups on mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_165859.jpg
    IMG_20221009_165859.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 8
Wow, that Flair 58! That is one gorgeous piece of art. Don’t watch the video on their site if you don’t have $500 burning in your pocket. Anyone wanna trade a Toggle for one lol?
The Baratza Encore is an amazing mid priced grinder and the burr upgrade for espresso is not expensive. Love this thread. Good pulls everyone!

Top Bottom