What's new

Modern Day DE that is comprable to a Gillette FB

Possibly the Merkur Futur or the Merkur Progress (including the "Mergress" & "Mergress XL," the modified/customized Progresses); but all of those are much heavier in weight than the beautiful Gillette Fat Boy (at 79 grams) or the Gillette Slim Adjustable. I've never owned a Futur, so I cannot speak with any authority about it; but I own both a Fat Boy and a Slim Adjustable, and I just sold a Mergress XL. My very best shaves still come from those 50-year-old vintage Gillette adjustables. I think a lot has to do with what weight range of razor you're most comfortable with based on your shaving style, as there are many on this forum who will attest to getting their best shaves from the heavier models. Needless to say, all of the adjustables mentioned are excellent shaving devices.

Well bit the bullet and purchased one off of eBay for $40...price was reasonable for trying one out...if I like it I will spring for a nicer, more expensive one.

More to come!

In my "arsenal" as it were:

'64 Gillette Flair SuperSpeed
1920s Adams
Merkur 34C (my main razor that I use)

And soon a 1960 Gillette Fat Boy.

For the life of me I can not figure out why FatBoy copies are not being made! Come on China! Stop lurking around the US classified computer network and steal those Gillette blueptints and start pushing these babies out!

For the life of me I can not figure out why FatBoy copies are not being made! Come on China! Stop lurking around the US classified computer network and steal those Gillette blueptints and start pushing these babies out!

Yeah, what's up with that? Come on China!!

Well it came today and is in pretty good shape...needs some cleaning tho (any suggestions?!?!). All in all, not bad for $40...most are running in the $60-$100 range on eBay.

I am going to use it on my next shave- going to use a Derby as they are my middle of the road blade, then will work up through Astra to Red Personna to Feather. As I am going to be "test driving" will stay with the Prorasso soap+cream

Dutch101st said:
needs some cleaning tho (any suggestions?!?!)

I'd start mild: soak in a dish soap and water mixture, then scrub with an old toothbrush. Maas metal polish is also a great product for cleaning and brightening up metal finishes without using caustic chemicals. I used both of those on my Fat Boy and Slim, and you would think they came out of the factory yesterday instead of 50+ years ago. Good luck to you.

Top Bottom