What's new

Modern clone for Gillette Senator / Sheraton?

I really enjoy shaving with my Gillette Senator. I was very lucky to also get a Gillette Sheraton. As far as I can see the magic is that there is no blade gap at all like a Old Type. This makes the blade very rigid and the shave mild but quite close.

I would be very interested to know if there are any modern clones? I'm aware that there are modern Old Type clones, but the head geometry of the Senator / Sheraton seems a bit different. I'm not only looking for TTO razors, could also be a 3 piece razor.

Thanks.

Sami

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
You may want to check out Fatip razors. They, like the Senator and Sheraton, have open combs, rigid designs and virtually no blade gap.

That said, there is something quite special about the two you already have. Sometimes, the mold is forever broken.

I saw a video about a decade ago about the design of the head and the razors that incorporated it. The high arch of the doors slightly stretch the skin as you shave. Makes them smooth, helps in a closer shaver without the consequences of possible razor burn in contrast to using your fingers and going a little too far.

The SB versions of this head design include the Aristocrat and 195. The design flattened out mostly in part due to perceived issues going north and south under the nose. I say perceived because some of us, myself included have that space issue because of my big nose, but I go XTG there so it was never an issue with me.

R

romsitsa

If your Senator shaves like mine (silky smooth, but still effective), then no, there is nothing similar.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You may want to check out Fatip razors. They, like the Senator and Sheraton, have open combs, rigid designs and virtually no blade gap.

That said, there is something quite special about the two you already have. Sometimes, the mold is forever broken.

+1 to this. :cool:

I had two Fatips but sold them. I must confess that I sold before climbing the learning curve. I like the solid material they are made of and that they are more on the aggressive side. Unfortunately I had some blade alignment issues. I have to say that I tried a more steep angle not a shallow angle such as I doing with my Senator. Here in Europe Fatips are not that expensive so maybe worth buying it again and try a shallow angle. (I bought a Muhle R41 three times until I was able to shave with it)

I saw a video about a decade ago about the design of the head and the razors that incorporated it. The high arch of the doors slightly stretch the skin as you shave. Makes them smooth, helps in a closer shaver without the consequences of possible razor burn in contrast to using your fingers and going a little too far.

The SB versions of this head design include the Aristocrat and 195. The design flattened out mostly in part due to perceived issues going north and south under the nose. I say perceived because some of us, myself included have that space issue because of my big nose, but I go XTG there so it was never an issue with me.

That's interesting and maybe the explanation of the magic. I'm using my Fatboy wide open and with a steep angle. I have the feeling that the blade is more rigid in the Senator as in the Fatboy.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I did not see the Parker before. Looks similar but with a more Tech like head geometry. Seems to be worth to give it a try.

Did you try it?

The only Parker product I own is shavette srx.

I haven't used Parker tto, but I have read some discussions on B&B.
I know that Parker has experienced some quality problems, but it may have improved.

It is generally heard that Parker tto is more aggressive than super speed. This section can provide your reference; there are some Parker discussions on B&B to read.

The only Parker product I own is shavette srx.

I haven't used Parker tto, but I have read some discussions on B&B.
I know that Parker has experienced some quality problems, but it may have improved.

It is generally heard that Parker tto is more aggressive than super speed. This section can provide your reference; there are some Parker discussions on B&B to read.

Generally I like things to be simple. So I like more three piece razors than TTO. But shave quality has convinced me when using my Senator.

Thanks for the info.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have had both senator and sheraton and really enjoyed both but I sold them both in favor of the 1936 Aristocrat , the heads are basically identical . The big difference is the handle . It still after many years is still one of my favorite vintage razors
PXL_20210323_145234590~2.jpg

I have had both senator and sheraton and really enjoyed both but I sold them both in favor of the 1936 Aristocrat , the heads are basically identical . The big difference is the handle . It still after many years is still one of my favorite vintage razorsView attachment 1256229

They look beautiful. I wish I also could buy one... You don't think about selling this one, do you? 😃

Top Bottom