What's new

Modern Carbon steel blades

Can anyone give a list of currently produced carbon steel blades. Also I was curious if there is any compilation made of data regarding thickness and width of various blades.

Voskhod blades have always been stainless steel with a Teflon coating.

Treet Dura Sharp (or Durasharp) is carbon steel with a metal and Teflon coating. There are some other Treet carbon steel blades, but the Dura Sharps have been good for me in the right razor. They seem to last longer than others.

Voskhod blades have always been stainless steel with a Teflon coating.

Treet Dura Sharp (or Durasharp) is carbon steel with a metal and Teflon coating. There are some other Treet carbon steel blades, but the Dura Sharps have been good for me in the right razor. They seem to last longer than others.
Ok. Thanks for the information!

+1 for Treet Dura-Sharp as the best from the Treet bunch that I have tried (Black Beauty, Silver, Falcon, Classic)

Others that I haven’t tried:

Czech Leon Superfine

Czech Tatra

Czech Tiger

Treet New Edge

Treet Super Power

The Czech Blades company also makes Sokol and Luxor brands.

Carbon steel blades are also made in the Gillette Shanghai factory under the Flying Eagle brand:
1652549696571.png

Feather double edge carbon blade:
1652549792463.png

Steer clear of those Feather carbon steel DE blades. I added some to a cart as a freebie, and got my money’s worth. I took one or two strokes with this blade and had to stop. It was painfully awfully tuggy. I don’t think they are intended for shaving. They were easily the worst blade I have tried, in a class of their own.

I get on with most blades, including Feather stainless. So it’s not just me being picky. These really are bad.

I was just coming into the age of shaving when stainless steel blades were first introduced into the market. Coated stainless blades were so superior to the older carbon steel blades that they quickly became dominant in the market.

That does not mean that carbon steel won't take a perfectly good edge. I have both carbon steel and stainless steel straight razors. However, in the case of straight razors, any oxidation of the steel at the edge will be removed through stropping. Unless you strop your carbon steel DE blades, they will soon start to feel rough. You can prolong the life of carbon steel blades by carefully removing the blade from your razor, drying it and storing it in oil or alcohol to prevent oxidation. When using straight razor, I wipe the blade dry and then apply a coating of 91% isopropyl alcohol and mineral oil to protect them until the next use. The alcohol removes any traces of moisture and the oil acts as a barrier to oxygen.

The Flying Eagles are a beautiful blade to look at.
Performancewise.....do your face a favor and shave with broken glass instead.
It's the ONLY DE blade I've been unable to get a decent shave out of (Out of 70+)

Similarly, I bought a 100 pack of some awful carbon blades for like $3. I don't even remember the brand right now (not at home, can't go look!) Really nice looking though.

I do really like the Treet carbon steel blades and the Black Beauties. They just seem to work for me.

I've tried Treet Classic, Falcon, and Durasharp. I have not had troubles with the blade edge rusting prematurely. I get efficient comfortable shaves with all 3. I mostly use tallow soaps (Tabac and MWF), which helps prevent rust. I do nothing special with the blades, I just rinse off the razor.

I want to keep my vintage razors clean, so I disassemble & rinse them after every shave. I rinse the blade then hold it by one end and twang it to remove water, then repeat with the other end. It only takes a few minutes to dry, then I put the blade back into the wrapper for next use. This way I don't have to worry about carbon steel blades rusting on the razor plating.

Top Bottom