What's new

Modern Butterfly Razors

I was just thinking, who other than the usual Chinese suspects still makes butterfly razors today? There are a couple of Parker models and the Rockwell Model T. Is there anybody else I am missing?

Photo from my yard. For attention grabbing only. :biggrin1:

1590821172858.png

The Janus Toggle razor is a TTO; limited to a 51 production run.
Ah, yes, I've heard about that project. I guess in this case TTO means 'toggle to open'. :biggrin1:

I am still hoping for Ming Shi to make a Toggle. It would be more in my price range, and they did a fabulous job with the 3000S! I wonder how difficult it would be to change the mechanism.

That's a very nice razor, and made by Baili. Of course Vikings has other butterfly razors as well. I wonder if those are also made by companies like Baili, Weishi, and so on.
Not sure. It was my second DE razor. Then came Fat Boy, Merkur Futur and several others. Haven't touched the Viking in very long time.

If you do not have an aversion to vintage razors, pick up one of the billion SuperSpeeds out there. Great performance, magnificent construction
Good advice! Only I am already buying up all Gillette TTO's I can get my hands on. Superspeeds are great and so are Rockets. I also like the pre-war ones, especially the OC versions. 😊

Pearl from India has a few TTO models. I've read mostly good things about them, but I don't have any firsthand experience with the brand

Early reports on the production model of the Janus Toggle are not good at all. The prototype was apparently incredibly smooth, but had a high dome, was overly large, and was thought to possibly be too mild for some. So the manufacturer changed it to be smaller, with a much lower dome, and increased the aggressiveness, reportedly by only a little bit.

New owners are saying that it is very blade forward and quite harsh, and that the blade gap at setting 1 is 0.8.

Early reports on the production model of the Janus Toggle are not good at all. The prototype was apparently incredibly smooth, but had a high dome, was overly large, and was thought to possibly be too mild for some. So the manufacturer changed it to be smaller, with a much lower dome, and increased the aggressiveness, reportedly by only a little bit.

New owners are saying that it is very blade forward and quite harsh, and that the blade gap at setting 1 is 0.8.
All this reminds me the "oldies but goodies" (the Fat boys, Slims, and Super Adjustable's) among others, are hard to beat. They are roughly 60 years old and still going strong. There's a message there.

Top Bottom