What's new

Modern Aqua Velva Vs Old Stock

I received via E-bay an almost full bottle of old stock , glass bottle Aqua-Velva last week. I've used it the last several days and here is what I noticed compared to the modern version:

1. Color is much paler blue almost a light sky blue as opposed to the vibrant dark blue approaching violet of the modern version. It is also perfectly clear.

2.Scent is in the same family but the modern version is exponentially "richer" smelling. You might say it's stronger but I would say richer in all aspects, not just one. Maybe the old stock degrades over time. I noticed an "off odor" when I opened the bottle. After shaking and aerating, that improved noticeably.

3.The old version is much less sticky feeling. I guess there is less glycerin than the modern version.

4.The old stock scent dissipates much sooner than the modern version. The modern will last on me almost all day, old stock is gone for the most part in a few hours.

5. The old version has almost no menthol like tingle than the modern version. Again, maybe time has taken its toll on that too.

It could also be that this sample has been diluted by someone too. I have no idea of its history.

I wonder if you were to dilute with alcohol,the modern version to the same color as the old, if it would be closer?

Any similar experience?

My guess is that all/most of your observations are due to the age. Age and light could definitely cause the lighter color and slight fragrance weakening. I have noticed that my old stock Skin Bracer Cooling Blue and Cool Spice are not as strong as I remember.

Found a bottle of the original at a thrift store. Very oily residual feel, scent was OK. Have not tried AV new formula - I'll just stick with their musk.

I wonder if this bottle was diluted to make it appear full. I really only wanted the bottle but still.....

I have a full 8oz fishing reel bottle of AV that dates to the early '70s. It is noticeably lighter blue than the modern product, the scent and face feel are good (to me; the wife hates the scent and won't let me use it) Didn't particularly notice any strong menthol to it.

Both are nice!!
Enjoy!!

aqua velva new old.jpg

The one on the left is the one I have from E-bay. My modern version seems much more violet colored and much darker than your photo. Thanks for the info though.

Vintage Ice Blue is definitely lighter in color than modern. That is normal. I have several vintage NOS bottles and they are all that same color. Yes the modern is stronger, but I feel like the vintage is the better scent. Comparing the two, the modern has a more artificial or chemical scent to it. I like both, but just prefer the vintage. Of course, the way older vintage AV is yellow in color. And to me that stuff is divine! I break that stuff out on special occasions.

Vintage Ice Blue is definitely lighter in color than modern. That is normal. I have several vintage NOS bottles and they are all that same color. Yes the modern is stronger, but I feel like the vintage is the better scent. Comparing the two, the modern has a more artificial or chemical scent to it. I like both, but just prefer the vintage. Of course, the way older vintage AV is yellow in color. And to me that stuff is divine! I break that stuff out on special occasions.
Great answer!

I received via E-bay an almost full bottle of old stock , glass bottle Aqua-Velva last week. I've used it the last several days and here is what I noticed compared to the modern version:

1. Color is much paler blue almost a light sky blue as opposed to the vibrant dark blue approaching violet of the modern version. It is also perfectly clear.

2.Scent is in the same family but the modern version is exponentially "richer" smelling. You might say it's stronger but I would say richer in all aspects, not just one. Maybe the old stock degrades over time. I noticed an "off odor" when I opened the bottle. After shaking and aerating, that improved noticeably.

3.The old version is much less sticky feeling. I guess there is less glycerin than the modern version.

4.The old stock scent dissipates much sooner than the modern version. The modern will last on me almost all day, old stock is gone for the most part in a few hours.

5. The old version has almost no menthol like tingle than the modern version. Again, maybe time has taken its toll on that too.

It could also be that this sample has been diluted by someone too. I have no idea of its history.

I wonder if you were to dilute with alcohol,the modern version to the same color as the old, if it would be closer?

Any similar experience?
The old version has a brighter scent and less menthol. Yes the color of the liquid is lighter also. The newest version has a warmer, almost Stetson scent on drydown. I called the manufacturer about the difference in new versus old, and got a response similar to Procter and Gambles' statements regarding Old Spice Original versus Classic. "The new and old are made with the same formula" line of BS. So I guess my nose and skin are lying to me. If you prefer the old version of Aqua Velva, go to CVS and get their Arctic Blue. To me, a dead ringer for the old version, so all is not gone forever for us old Aqua Velva fans.

I've been working on this 7oz bottle for years. Bought it at Target right before they switched to plastic.
This is a great option if you can find one.. Great performance and scent.. and glass!

IMG_7748.jpg

(The Musk version also had a great glass bottle)

If you prefer the old version of Aqua Velva, go to CVS and get their Arctic Blue. To me, a dead ringer for the old version, so all is not gone forever for us old Aqua Velva fans.

Interesting, I'll have to compare. I assumed they'd be so close that it wouldn't be worth it to even try their version. I should be able to tell if it takes me back to my first bottle of AV in the 80's. I have a pretty good scent memory.

**also interesting, whenever I wear AV, my gf says I smell like her dad, except he wears Stetson. I never made the connection myself, maybe it's all in the sillage..

If you prefer the old version of Aqua Velva, go to CVS and get their Arctic Blue. .
That's good to know. Kroger used to market Arctic Blue but they stopped, at least in Colorado. My wife and I both like it better than modern Aqua Velva.

Interesting, I'll have to compare. I assumed they'd be so close that it wouldn't be worth it to even try their version. I should be able to tell if it takes me back to my first bottle of AV in the 80's. I have a pretty good scent memory.

**also interesting, whenever I wear AV, my gf says I smell like her dad, except he wears Stetson. I never made the connection myself, maybe it's all in the sillage..
I mentioned in post #12 that the newest version of Aqua Velva has a drydown similar to Stetson. So yes, that is where the newer AV has gone. Also, the CVS product called Arctic has now been relabeled as "Blade". But the juice still smells like older Aqua Velva. Geez, I hope they keep stocking it, because most mass merchants no longer have a knockoff of AV. CVS has a price of 4.99, think I will stop by and pickup another bottle or two. Can't go wrong if you liked the AV sold until a few years ago.

Also, the CVS product called Arctic has now been relabeled as "Blade". But the juice still smells like older Aqua Velva.
Thanks for the info. Still working through modern AV, but when it's gone I'll be trying 'Blade' assuming it is still available.

I haven’t given the CVS brand a try yet. I’m on the 2019 sabbatical, so I still have 8 months before I can pick up a bottle.

Top Bottom