What's new

Moderately Expensive "Giftable" Whisk(e)y

A friend's fiance has tasked me with helping her find a very nice bottle of whisky as a wedding present for her husband to be. Bourbon or scotch preferably. She was initially was asking about Pappy, but that's way more than the budget.
She like to get something in the $300 range.
I immediately thought of The Balvenie 21 year Portwood, but I'm fairly certain he's had that.

Any suggestions? Something nice and drinkable but also semi-rare. With the idea that he could sample it every year on his anniversary, but not so ridiculously rare that he feels bad about drinking it at all.

Best I've ever had (Bourbon) is a $50 bottle of Bookers. Comes in a nice wood box. Doubt if a $300 bottle is any better.
Best Scotch I've had is Chivas Royal Salute. Price is probably close to, if not over $300.

Yamazaki 18 year old is a stunner, although the 12 year old is my favourite and only about one-third of the price.

Yamazaki 18 year old is a stunner, although the 12 year old is my favourite and only about one-third of the price.
Yamazaki 18 would be a fantastic choice! Super hard to find in my neck of the woods, a real shame....

Ardbeg 21 would be a fantastic choice. Still available at some major liquor stores. Good luck on your whiskey hunt! :thumbup1:

Edit: Just noticed you have a budget of $300, the Ardbeg 21 is slightly over that. Well worth considering though.

One of my favorite Scotches happens to be a blended. Johnnie Walker. I've had a hankering for Johnnie Walker Blue Label. Have a look.

If you can find it, Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique. A really wonderful Taiwanese whiskey....yes, Taiwanese.

Best I've ever had (Bourbon) is a $50 bottle of Bookers. Comes in a nice wood box. Doubt if a $300 bottle is any better.
Best Scotch I've had is Chivas Royal Salute. Price is probably close to, if not over $300.
This. Having had Pappy back when it used to be reasonably priced, it's hard to beat Booker's, and it's very hard to say that dollar for dollar, Pappy's is 16 times better.

Shackleton's Whisky - Mackinlay's Rare Old Highland Malt : Buy Online - The Whisky Exchange

This might also be something to consider, depending on his interests. This is a recreation of the whisky that Ernest Shackleton brought with him on his trip to the south pole. They discovered a crate of it a handful of years ago, and experts painstakingly remade it. It's packaged as it was 100 years ago. Shackleton's story, if you don't know it, is harrowing and amazing, and is a testament to the enduring human spirit...

This question is way out of my personal tasting notes. A. H. Hirsch bourbon comes to mind. There must be some expression from this "house" in the $300 range. Macallan Rare Cask seems to be right in the price range. I have not liked the Johnny Walker Blue labels I have had, in that they seemed way too smooth in the sense of Scotch for folks who do not necessarily like Scotch, but many folks like them. Highland Park is probably a safe choice.

Not what you are asking, I know, but if you think he likes Cognac at all, I might got that way, although I would not know what to recommend. I do not see much right at the $300 range. My impression is that Cognac makers really know what they are doing as to pricing the better and better stuff more and more expensively. But I admit my own experience is only up in the, say, $150 range. My impression is also that if one likes whiskey/whisky one is going to like a good cognac, but not sure I would suggest you bet on my impressions. I remember reading an article once that said if you put a cognac into a blind tasting of Scotches it will win every time. Not sure if that is so, especially given what is going on in really expensive Scotch these days, but the thought stuck with me.

This. Having had Pappy back when it used to be reasonably priced, it's hard to beat Booker's, and it's very hard to say that dollar for dollar, Pappy's is 16 times better.

@Nick You know - I still have the dregs of a bottle of Pappy's we need to kill...

this internet liquor retailer has some great high-end whiskey's!

Screenshot at Apr 03 16-34-12.png

Thanks for am the suggestions! Some great ideas here.
I'll be sure to post back with the eventual selection

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
So few bottles of really expensive whisky have been worth the price for me... If you can find a Pappy with how rare they are at retail price, I would go that route. I wouldn't go for any higher aged peated whiskys because they tend to loose their smokiness in later years in the cask. Something unpeated would be good, perhaps a bottle of 21 year Old Pulteney plus a bottle of Booker's or something to make it a double gift?

Top Bottom