What's new

Model Aircraft Lovers?

Before I got into wet shaving I spent my time looking at models of commercial aircrafts and purchasing them. I currently have roughly 20 model airplanes 1:400 scale (collection so far has cost me 850-900$, it is worth roughly 1,500$). I am trying to complete a goal of collecting at least ONE model airplane from each airline that is a member of the Star Alliance.

I will include pictures later on - I was just wondering if anyone else is interested in model airplanes?
If so - what are you collecting? Any specific airlines / airplanes?

I build model aircraft and rockets. The era I love most is WWII, but I build aircraft of all eras especially military ones. I don't usually build airliners but I do have a Sukhoi Superjet in my stash that I found on the clearance shelf. The price of models has gone up over the years and I love the new-tool Airfix kits for their value. I peruse several modeling and rocket sites on the web.

I've built countless WWII plane models, a few bipes, & some esoteric planes like flying wings, etc. When I just want to do a quick fun build I slap together an eggplane. I've built 1 jet, a Hawker Harrier when I was maybe 10 or 12 years old, it was the first "plane" I built, before that it was cars & trucks. I still do a car once in a great while, but WWII planes are my mainstay. I love the B-17, and actually got to take a tour of one at an airshow back in the mid 80s. I currently have an Airfix 1/24 scale P-59 that has been in the building process for several years. It's an awful kit, and when I get frustrated with it I put it away and work on something else. One day it will be the superdetailed crown jewel of my collection. It's also my belief that one can never have too many hellcats!

Sadly, when I moved to AZ 11 years ago I got rid of most of my models - built and unbuilt. I made a few grand on my unbuilt models, the finished ones I gave away. Due to lack of space, it was either boxes of models or my Great Dane in my truck so there was no question about what had to go.

These days the model building has taken a back seat to my wood/acrylic turning, but with the hot desert summer coming, I'll have time to build models inside with the a/c. That is unless I install an a/c system in my workshop!

I have to be honest I buy prebuilt planes such as GeminiJets. I've never tried to build one by myself judging by my hard time in Arts and Crafts!

strop

Now half as wise
I haven't built models since I was a kid. Brings back memories.

Just for clarification, though, are you guys talking about the plastic ones for display or the flying kind? Would love to see some pics either way.

I haven't built models since I was a kid. Brings back memories.

Just for clarification, though, are you guys talking about the plastic ones for display or the flying kind? Would love to see some pics either way.

I am referring to the static plastic ones. There are plenty of middle aged men and women building models. There are some builder that put so much detail in their builds, it you didn't know better, you would think they are real aircraft!

strop

Now half as wise
I can see how it could be very relaxing and rewarding. Tried my had at model ships once, but wasn't very good. Jobs and kids came along and I never got back to it.

I paint 1/300 aircraft and use them in games. I love jets from the late 50's early 60's.

This is really cool, If you'd be up to it maybe sometimes in the future I'd love for you to recreate an older livery which they don't necessarily use too much anymore!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've built models of all sorts and sizes. Nothing though in the last 20 years. When I discovered the air brush kit it really improved the quality of the finished model. I wonder where my kit is?

I've built models of all sorts and sizes. Nothing though in the last 20 years. When I discovered the air brush kit it really improved the quality of the finished model. I wonder where my kit is?

Absolutely! There's no substitute for using an airbrush. Nothing even comes close. I've had some nice finishes from a spray can, but when you get up close and inspect the two, using an airbrush is in a league all its own, especially when doing a BMF like on a P-51D.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Then there's RC.

$P51.jpg

i love building models, ive built planes, tanks, subs, boats, cars. its a great hobby, but doesnt lend itself to those who dont have a lot of spare time. i even took a few medals at my local shops competition.

Top Bottom