What's new

Moc Toe Boots

I want to buy a pair of moc toe boots. I have my eye on Red Wing, but I'm open to suggestions. Does anyone have any experience with moc toe boots? I'm not buying the Thursday moc toes because the toe box isn't pronounced enough for my liking. They look like a regular pair of shoes.

Slight thread drift and wordy.

I have started down this route but have not pulled the trigger yet. My sizing notes are as follows to the extent you may find them helpful. Red Wings are the most pricey of the machine made/USA made Moc Toes, Carolina Boots probably the cheapest.

Historically I have been a 13 in most shoes. I had never purchased a USA made leather work boot.

When I purchased some Red Wing Iron Rangers over Xmas, I measured a 12 on the left, 12 pushing 12.5 on the right IIRC. I was fitted with a pair of 11Ds. It took about 40 hours for them to wear in quite nicely. They started quite tight. I suspect I could get away with an 11.5 and would do so if I caught a set on a real sale.

11D were too tight, a non starter in my mind, in the RW moc toes. I would have gone 11.5 in those.

I ordered a pair of 1000 Miler Wolverines off of Left Lane Sports. I went 11.5 because that was the size they had closest to mine and the deal was too good to pass up. Not surprisingly, they fit a bit looser than the Red Wings.

Trying on Thorogood Moc-Toes has me at an 11.5. Danner Bull Runs Moc Toes are 12s.

FWIW.

I have experience with these products. I have a heritage red wing moc toe boots. I love them but for the first 2 months i had to force myself to like them in order to break them in. The leather insole took some serious time and effort to form and mold to my foot. These are great looking boots and now are great fitting boots. If you are looking for more of work boot, you can get similar version with more modern construction and they will be good right out of the box.

I have not personally ventured down the road to try thorogoods, but that would be the first place i would stop if i were to drift away from my red wings.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’m totally impressed by the Thorogood Dodgevilles I got a couple months ago and wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a pair of their moc toes if I needed another set of work boots. I think Thorogood’s advantage over Red Wing is their moc toe boots are storm welted, have a steel shank, and available with or without a safety toe. Red Wings are sleeker and more stylish. Both excellent boots by all accounts.

Top Bottom