What's new

Mobile Died. Need Help Migrating To Another Handset

Okay, we have all been through this at various times. I cannot complain. I have had this mobile for three and a half years. Lots of drops and abuse( blue collar electrician), and time caused it to give up the ghost. Well, at least the network radio side. I can still connect via wifi.

So before I took to B&B asking about this, I searched for tutorials. It appeared to be a piece of cake these days. I installed an app called SMS Backup and Restore. This directed me to log in to Google Drive and backup texts and phone logs. Boom, boom, boom. Done. This is easy. Now comes time to backup apps and data from the mobile itself and things went decidely south.

With Google backup and restore you allegedly go to settings>backup & reset> backup my data(toggle on), backup account(same google account I use for the mobile), automatic restore(toggle on), automatic restore(toggle on). I completed these steps which a number of sites suggest doing so when you get your new devise and log into it, you can then go to your backed up app data and files and sync them to new devise. Easy, yeah? Well not so much.

After I do all this the tutorials all say to click the 'backup' button. The issue is, I don't have that option. All I have is 'factory reset' which of course wipes the phone clean. I hesitate to do that since A; I cannot find any backup on Google drive other than the messaging backups SMSRestore makes, and B; even though I have my devise set to save files to sd card, I know better than to think every critical thing is saved there. Particularly app settings.

So here are some particulars. Devise; Motorola Moto G First gen w/LTE. Android 5.1(lollipop?). And the second devise is identical. When my daughter quit using hers I factory reset it and stored it away for just such an emergency. So I got it up and running, logged in using same account, updated apps and installed some I had before(remember, no backup to be found), and...stopped cold. So I thought that maybe since I swapped the sim card to the new phone the old one had no way to know what account it should be using but the phone is still logged into the same account and I can update apps via wifi. No 'backup' option on either devise in the backup & reset section of options. What am I doing wrong here? And thanks for putting up with the long post.

I should also add I will be buying another mobile. I am using this til I get it. And I will still have the same things to deal with.

If you're going to replace it with another android phone, why don't you let the salesperson do all the back-up and loading on the new phone?

I was not able to follow, meaning visualize the steps or the UI presented by the phone in your last paragraph. Will not the restore part of the google backup/restore move back all the previous data? I am no expert on this matter, as my last two phones died at awkward times and I just reinstalled the apps I was interested in (with help from play store to see exactly what I had installed previously). Some apps appear to sync data to their private cloud while others are very device centric to the point if having multiple devices data is not shared between them and by definition will not restore when getting a new device (again this might be were the backup/restore helps but I have not used).

I still have not developed a good strategy to deal with android device crash or theft. To keep all critical info backed up in a sensible and uniform way. I can't even decide on what is the best approach to manage password data (e.g. google drive, private network/flash-card, application specific cloud service).

Motorola has a specific app that allows you to transfer from one Moto to another.
It's called Motorola Migrate.

Its works pretty good. I used it for my moto 5gplus from my BB dtek 60. Wife used it for her moto g 2013 to her new moto g5

Hey guys, thank you for the heads up on Migrate.

Still having, essentially the steps are to enable everything in 'backup and restore' and then manually click the 'backup' button in the same menu area. Unfortunately that button does not exist.

So I was thinking it would just do it automatically each day or whatever the default syncing schedule is. To date there are no backups other than the SMS Restore files. It is really odd. Maybe it is a quirk of Android 5.1 or this Moto handset?

Well lads, sometimes you look at yourself and you say; Self, you really need to get out more. Migrate is preinstalled on this and many other Moto handsts. Will be giving it a go tonight. Likely this is why there is no backup button in settings. Oi.

Top Bottom