What's new

MMOC with no blade stops

I recently won 2 SEs off the Bay for $10. The GEM Junior is in perfectly fine condition, but the MMOC is missing the blade stops. Is there anything that can be done to make it usable? I tried to use it anyways, and it was way too aggressive and hard to handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would say it's no good. I got one in the same condition (different razor but the blade stopper is non existent) and I can't shave with it.

I won one too. A nice looking gold Micromatic Open Comb. One of the blade stops is missing. Does anyone know if these are brass or "pot metal"? If it is brass, then couldn't it be brazed? Or will an exopy work better, after drying and shaping, on the pot metal and brass.

I think you're SOL. You can try some ideas as mentioned in post above, but I would be surprised if they work. Hope they do and good luck.

I have two of these - if it's what I think it is. It's an SE and says GEM MICROMATIC and is open comb and TTO. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send one of them to you as a PIF. I'm approaching 1000 posts and its time I did a PIF.

Yours is probably toast.

I have never heard of the blade stops being missing from a Micromatic. The bottom plate is all one piece. I don't see how they could be missing, or even break off. Wierd. Got any pics? I'd love to see the condition of the plate.

1912's on the other hand, those blade stops can break off, and I've bought a few of those that were unusable.

The metal is soft, the blades stops can break off of the MMOC pretty easily. I have two that are missing a stop each.

The metal is soft, the blades stops can break off of the MMOC pretty easily. I have two that are missing a stop each.

THIS.

Your Micromatic open comb must have blade stops if it doesn't then they were broken off. Your MMOC has been rendered useless without the stops.

I've received a PM from the OP and will be sending my extra MMOC to him as a PIF in celebration of my soon-to-be 1000th post. I too have a GEM Jr. SE razor which is my go-to SE razor. The MMOC is pretty aggressive even with the stops!

I have a brass one with both stops missing and the areas where they used to be are so smooth it makes me think that maybe the TTO was over tightened and the blade sheared them off. Is this possible?

You might be right guster.
For some reason the bent up tabs of the 1912/24/14 seem more resilient than the molded in bumps of the MM

This whole thread is still baffling me.

Here's an ultra close-up of a broken off blade "hook" on one of my broken MMOCs.
$bokenhook.jpg

Sometimes the break is so clean you'd swear there had never been a blade stop there to begin with.

Top Bottom