What's new

MMOC & PTFE Blade - Will it determine whether to go modern?

So I just ordered 200 GEM PTFE blades. I have an assortment of micromatic razors. I have mostly used the first and second generation OC and the clog pruf. My plan is to use the GEM blades exclusively for at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month. It really should be a month, but I am impatient and like to try different things.

I was all set to order an ATT G1, but decided I really need to slow down in purchasing. I really don't like to have an assortment of razors, I'm just looking for the best shave.

This is a question I am seriously pondering: Do you think using a MMOC exclusively for a few weeks with the PTFE blades can determine whether or not to purchase a modern GEM razor?

Of course I"m looking at the Blackland Sabre and ATT G1. Why? I like modern razors, and I love 3 piece safety razors. I think it is the most elegant design of all safety razors. Simple, precise, and conducive to thorough cleaning and maintenance. The most convenient to use? No. TTO razors are ingenious. However, I like 3 piece razors over everything else. That's just me. I like having vintage for the history, but I really like shaving with quality modern razors.

There are a number of people here who have micromatics and Sabres and/or G1 razors. I would be very interested in knowing what your thoughts are on this matter. Did you find the modern razors so different that you were surprised when you used them, or did you find them to be a close variation on an old classic? Did any of you find the modern more enjoyable to use in any way? Just going by the shave itself, would you prefer the modern over the vintage?

Let's put it this way: If I shaved with my MMOC for a month, decided I really liked shaving with it, bought a Sabre (for example) and found it was very close but not better than the MMOC, I would be very happy. Of course I would be thrilled if I found it more enjoyable.

That's a rather long winded way of asking if using an MMOC will tell me if I will like a Sabre or G1, or if the moderns are different enough that you just can't tell until you try.

But, hey! That's why we're here, right? So we can discuss these agonizing details among ourselves and not drive our spouses nuts. Well, one of the reasons anyway...

I only have one Gem style razor, an MMOC, so I can't compare it to a modern razor like the G1 or the Sabre. With DE's I've used many different razors, mostly modern but some vintage. Like you, I have a preference for modern razors, and I'm willing to bet that no matter how well your month with the vintage Gems goes, you will still have that hankering for the Sabre or G1. I know that as much as I like my AC style Hawk, I'm still trying to convince myself that I don't need the Blackland Vector (and I've already pre-ordered Classic Shaving's new Enoch).

I have no modern single edge, but the MMOC is an outstanding razor and, if pressed to choose a desert island razor, could end up being the only one I'd use.

I have the Blackland Razor Sabre. I love it. I just had a shave with it using the GEM PTFE. How it compares to the Vintage GEM models, I don't know. I just know if you get the Blackland you should be happy, unless you miss paying some bills due to the cost.

I started with DE - Tech to Slim to Old Types to Fatip. At that point GEMs (MMOC, MMCP, 1912) were giving me better shaves, so I also bought 200 PTFE blades and thought that my future with GEMs was assured.

But then two things happened:
- I got some more efficient DE heads, R41, Timeless Bronze OC .78, Karve OC E plate.
- I got really into alternative razor handles, titanium and now DIY aluminium 16mm diameter.

I now get the best shaves with my new DEs and I love mixing and matching handles. So what I'd say here is that I don't think GEMs are the end of the road - I did previously but no longer. The PTFE blade is a really sharp and rigid blade. But so is a Nacet and some others in the right head. So the way forward may be a modern GEM, but it could be a return to a top level efficient DE.

I also have a box of 100 gem blades that I'm wondering how I'll ever use. I wanted to like shaving with them. I have a 1912 that I find unusable. I have a MMOC on loan that I've used once. It was very usable but two days later I still have some irritation from it. I'm not sure why I bother with Gems because my DE's from Karve CG and Raw provide amazing shaves with zero irritation. But I'm thinking that if I ever want to use up that box of gem blades I'll go modern. Probably a Blackland.

Hard to say or make recommendations given that so many factors come into play due differences in hair and skin.

Personally, I would be inclined to stay with what works. I’ve got three MMOC razors, two first generation without the blade bumps that provide as good of a shave as any in my collection. Why pay more for a new razor?

I have an MMOC, a ClogPruf, a Streamline, a GEM Junior, a bullet-tip, and a 1924 Shovehead. All these razors shave great, although they have differing personalities.

I have unfortunately never had the opportunity of trying either the Sabre or the G1. I like the looks of the G1 immensely. I'm told it's quite mild. It was apparently designed to mimic the shave of a 1912. If it accomplishes that, and looks as beautiful as it does, it might well be worth the coin. I haven't yet made the leap to actually purchasing it, but I may in the near future.

Another thing about the G1 is that if you don't like it, you can get your money back. Above The Tie has a nice return policy. I believe Blackland does, as well, if you want to try the Sabre.

Shaving with the MMOC for two weeks is not going to answer the question for you, unless you decide you love the MMOC so much that you have no need for any modern GEM razors.

I have one modern Gem style razor, the PAA Starling. Though I like the Starling, I could live without it and just use my vintage Gems (MMOC included) and still be quite content.

The answer is yes.

I bought 100 ptfe blades.
used an mmsb once,
then an MMOC once.
Then bought my Sabre.

It’s my favorite razor. I haven’t used my blackbird or Rockwell in probably a week or so.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
This is a question I am seriously pondering: Do you think using a MMOC exclusively for a few weeks with the PTFE blades can determine whether or not to purchase a modern GEM razor?

Well...yes and no. (Hey! I'm a professor...)

My context: Like you, I just want to get a good shave again -- though I'm also hoping for better than that. But getting the shave I want doesn't specify tech. DE, SE, AC, Gem, whatever. I want something that works and keeps me excited to go in the Shave Cave and lather up.

I own several Gem 1912s including a Damaskeene, an Ever-Ready Little Lather Catcher, Clog-Pruf and an MMOC. On one hand I tend to believe that if you're getting a good shave from a vintage razor, that's the point; full stop. Modern razors, with a few notable exceptions, tend NOT to be made to be "as good as" something you can pick up out of a coffee can full of them at a garage sale for $2.50.

Ideally, of course, modern razors are designed to be better than the vintage. Which always brings up the question: "Do you mean 'better than it was when it was new' or 'better than it is 90 years later'?" But because they're chasing "better" they end up chasing a tiny slice of the market; could be a niche-in-a-niche, which pretty accurately sums up SE shavers if you look at how much we write here versus what the DE folks put out.

Specifically to your question, using an MMOC for "a few weeks" is going to tell you some things: whether you like how that razor works for you; whether it's giving you what you want; and if not, what is it about a more "niche-y" razor that might be just the ticket for you.

I also own a G1 (both baseplates). At first I complained that it gave me exactly the same shave I was getting from my 1912s. Then I found out that was exactly the way they designed it, so I quit complaining about it and started thinking about how I might improve it. I explored the idea (with ATT) of creating a "G2" baseplate or open comb version.

Long story a little shorter, not only is Gem a relatively small niche within a niche of SE shavers -- but the lukewarm reception the G1 got convinced the company that it wasn't worth putting a lot of work into what could eventually be a niche in a niche in a niche. As one of the authors of that lukewarm reception I have to own it. In an ideal world I'd like to be able to drop a chunk of money on ATT's lap and say, "That will fund development of the G2 plate." But they'd still have to sell it and unfortunately that razor has an uphill walk. (Which I believe might be overcome to some extent with a G2 option.)

I still use my G1. In fact, I've come to appreciate a gentle, mild shave after spending a little time with an SE1 and a Proline blade. Gotta regrow a little skin... Having noticed that the SE1 has a scalloped bar and the G1 does not, I'm going to take my spare "mild" G1 plate and scallop it. Eventually. I'm cautious about screwing up someone's design.

To be honest, I came to the MMOC almost exactly backward from you. I bought a PAA Starling V2 because I wanted to keep using Gem style blades but wanted "more razor, less stubble." The safety bar plate gives me the same shave I get from a 1912 or the G1. The open comb plate gives me the best Gem shaves I've ever had. When I hit that revelation I picked up an MMOC and tried it out. I found the Starling was just that --><-- much smoother and closer than the MMOC.

All the debate isn't going to shorten the process for you. You will have to pick one up and try it out. The Starling is relatively inexpensive so you could start there. The others are a bit more dear, but there are options like the 30-day return policies at some companies that will let you try it on. (I get it; you still need the funds up front.)

Good Luck,

O.H.

Most find out that the reason they are not getting the shave they are after with an MMOC is because they are trying to use it as they would a DE type.
GEM instructions1.jpg

Many have discovered the GEM MMOC and the BMMOC on the thread Micromatic Monday. The OP may benefit from asking this question over there.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Most find out that the reason they are not getting the shave they are after with an MMOC is because they are trying to use it as they would a DE type.

...and sometimes it's still somewhat uncertain why. I've spent WAY more time with Gem style than any other, and I get the differences between the Gem and the Ever-Ready. I also know that the G1 is slightly more finicky about angle than the 1912. The Starling is less so, giving its best shave with the correct Gem angle but tailing off a bit slower as the angle changes.

There are plusses and minuses either way; you know immediately if your angle's a little off with the G1, while with the Starling you'll be encouraged to pay attention to subtle signs.

I'm not sure exactly what it is about the MMOC for me. Ergonomically it's just not quite perfect for fingers that are losing flexibility. I use it and the Starling OC the same way, cap flat to the face, and the Starling gives me a slightly smoother shave. Both of them give me a BBS, I like both of them, but I notice just a little more irritation with the MMOC.

Tough hair and sensitive skin is a problem. I use a little more Nivea with the MMOC and it's OK.

The OP said he thought spending a month with it would be a good idea. I agree totally! A month is several blades, and enough time to learn the spots that need more attention as well as build proper technique into muscle memory. I'll usually only drop a trial after a couple of weeks if I'm having more trouble than usual with it. Then I reflect on things, grab a different razor and use that for a while until I'm feeling like getting back on the other horse again.

O.H.

...and sometimes it's still somewhat uncertain why. I've spent WAY more time with Gem style than any other, and I get the differences between the Gem and the Ever-Ready. I also know that the G1 is slightly more finicky about angle than the 1912. The Starling is less so, giving its best shave with the correct Gem angle but tailing off a bit slower as the angle changes.

There are plusses and minuses either way; you know immediately if your angle's a little off with the G1, while with the Starling you'll be encouraged to pay attention to subtle signs.

I'm not sure exactly what it is about the MMOC for me. Ergonomically it's just not quite perfect for fingers that are losing flexibility. I use it and the Starling OC the same way, cap flat to the face, and the Starling gives me a slightly smoother shave. Both of them give me a BBS, I like both of them, but I notice just a little more irritation with the MMOC.

Tough hair and sensitive skin is a problem. I use a little more Nivea with the MMOC and it's OK.

The OP said he thought spending a month with it would be a good idea. I agree totally! A month is several blades, and enough time to learn the spots that need more attention as well as build proper technique into muscle memory. I'll usually only drop a trial after a couple of weeks if I'm having more trouble than usual with it. Then I reflect on things, grab a different razor and use that for a while until I'm feeling like getting back on the other horse again.

O.H.

I used the MMOC to prepare me for using a shavette and straight razor. The angle is similar if not the same. I use a very hydrated lather and a glycerin face wash to start. Little to no pressure is what I have found works for these razors. The PTFE blades are unsurpassed for comfort and longevity.

I used the MMOC to prepare me for using a shavette and straight razor. The angle is similar if not the same. I use a very hydrated lather and a glycerin face wash to start. Little to no pressure is what I have found works for these razors. The PTFE blades are unsurpassed for comfort and longevity.

I have never thought of my MMOC like that, however if what you say is true, maybe I am ready to give a straight a try!!

For the OP...I haven’t tried any moderns that take the same blade, and when I was DE shaving the Most modern I liked was a Progress...the other “moderns” I never felt overshadowed my vintages enough to keep. Now that I am a SE guy, I have only tried a few AC moderns and still haven’t experienced something that would make me sell my GEM/EverReady/Schick collection. In fact the latest AC try will be up on BST soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between the 3 types of Micromatics not including the variants of each you have a full spectrum of mild to wild between the open comb, Clog Pruf or bullet tip flying wing to determine what you prefer before shelling out big bucks on something modern. The cost of buying all 3 of them is still less than buying any single modern razor except for maybe the PAA Starling.

If you can't find something close to what you would prefer among those 3 you sure as hell won't find anything modern that will deviate enough shave wise that you will and it will cost you a lot less to figure that out firsthand this way. If you do then you can dial it in more from there if you want to go modern by soliciting advice on what razors are equivalent modern from there,

Last edited:
Top Bottom