What's new

MM Hardwood: Is it supposed to do this?

The MM hardwood straight apple I bought a week or so ago is still smoking hot, even with Granger in it and me sipping instead of puffing hard. I'm able to get only about 5-8 minutes of smoking until I find the smoke a bit hot on my tongue and the bowl hot in my hand.

Then, today, after I let it cool and ran a pipe cleaner through the stem, I tried to remove the plastic stem -- and the entire shank came loose from the bowl! Is it supposed to do that? Unless I clamp the shank and stem, I doubt I'll be able to remove the stem from the wooden shaft. I'm left with the bowl and the shank-stem assembly -- which I'd guess won't make the pipe unusable. But is the shank supposed to detach from the bowl?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Definitely not supposed to do that. Did you attempt to remove the stem while the pipe was still warm?

Definitely not supposed to do that. Did you attempt to remove the stem while the pipe was still warm?
No, I'd waited about 30 minutes or more while I cooked and ate my dinner. Well, I can re-glue it. But when you come right down to it, it's just that the separation point, where I'd break the pipe down for cleaning, is at the point where the shank enters the bowl instead of farther back.

Good thing it's not an expensive pipe.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The MM hardwood straight apple I bought a week or so ago is still smoking hot, even with Granger in it and me sipping instead of puffing hard. I'm able to get only about 5-8 minutes of smoking until I find the smoke a bit hot on my tongue and the bowl hot in my hand.

Then, today, after I let it cool and ran a pipe cleaner through the stem, I tried to remove the plastic stem -- and the entire shank came loose from the bowl! Is it supposed to do that? Unless I clamp the shank and stem, I doubt I'll be able to remove the stem from the wooden shaft. I'm left with the bowl and the shank-stem assembly -- which I'd guess won't make the pipe unusable. But is the shank supposed to detach from the bowl?

You've been having a rough ride with this one. As mentioned, a drop of glue should mend that shank. I'd go with a waterproof carpenters glue, because that joint sees moisture and thermal cycling.

... I'd probably toss it in the drawer for a couple of weeks after that, just to enjoy some less troubled smokes for a while. But I could also see someone sticking with it until it settled down. Like breaking in a bucking bronco.

Wood or carpenter's glue? I knew there was something I was forgetting at Walmart. That's very much what this pipe has been so far, an animal difficult to tame or even to handle. Tomorrow's Friday smoke will be back with one of my Savinellis, thankyouverymuch.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Wood or carpenter's glue? I knew there was something I was forgetting at Walmart. That's very much what this pipe has been so far, an animal difficult to tame or even to handle. Tomorrow's Friday smoke will be back with one of my Savinellis, thankyouverymuch.

I just got a couple of new MM cobs and the first thing I noticed was how tight the stems are; I can barely twist them. I'm hoping they'll loosen up a bit with use, but in the meantime I have to get a death grip on the shank to get the things apart.

I just got a couple of new MM cobs and the first thing I noticed was how tight the stems are; I can barely twist them. I'm hoping they'll loosen up a bit with use, but in the meantime I have to get a death grip on the shank to get the things apart.
When I ordered a dagner poker from mm I had this issue. The stem was so tight that the tenon cracked lol. Had to roll up some sandpaper and loosen the tenon fit to get it to remove a bit smoother.

Re: my MM hardwood, I picked up some wood glue and popped a bit into the joint. I'll try it again in a day or two.

Salty, my stem is also very tight -- it's probably what contributed to the shank breaking loose. I got out my two clamping wrenches (I've forgotten the real name), wrapped the shank and the stem in microfiber cloths to protect them, clamped the wrenches in place, held one wrench and turned the other. The stem is now aligned properly to the bowl when the shank is set in the bowl.

. . . Salty, my stem is also very tight -- it's probably what contributed to the shank breaking loose. I got out my two clamping wrenches (I've forgotten the real name), wrapped the shank and the stem in microfiber cloths to protect them, clamped the wrenches in place, held one wrench and turned the other. The stem is now aligned properly to the bowl when the shank is set in the bowl.
"Clamping wrenches" = "locking pliers." Been a while since I used them or even thought about them. My recent and modern cars have not needed much attention from me.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Rub some pencil on the stem end. That may help a little until it loosens up. If it doesn’t loosen after a dozen smokes, then a rolled up piece of 200+ grit usually does the trick.

But unless you are using filters, those cobs can go a very long time before you need to open them up.

This morning I brought the MM hardwood out on stage for another audition, again with the Gentleman Caller leaf. This time I got a good 15 minutes' worth of smoke without the bowl heating up so fast. I wonder if the loose shank meant that a tiny bit of air was coming into the bowl, making the tobacco burn hotter? It does seem that gluing it has made the pipe usable.

I was thinking prior to my smoke today that if the pipe gave me trouble again, it was going to be history. Maybe I'll be able to use it regularly for short smokes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This morning I brought the MM hardwood out on stage for another audition, again with the Gentleman Caller leaf. This time I got a good 15 minutes' worth of smoke without the bowl heating up so fast. I wonder if the loose shank meant that a tiny bit of air was coming into the bowl, making the tobacco burn hotter? It does seem that gluing it has made the pipe usable.

I was thinking prior to my smoke today that if the pipe gave me trouble again, it was going to be history. Maybe I'll be able to use it regularly for short smokes.
LOL! All that pipe needed was a good threatening!

Top Bottom