What's new

MLB: Players changing their stroke after a Very good year.

I read in the Chicago Tribune today that NL Rookie of the Year Kris Bryant has been working during spring training to flatten out his swing in an effort to cut down on his swing and miss rate, allowing him to hit more line drives instead of his usual moon shots. For those of you that don't know it, Wrigley really is two different ball parks based on the effect the wind can have on fly balls. On days when the wind is blowing in (usually the cooler months), it plays like a much bigger ball park than in the warmer months when the wind can blow out (a lot) more. The wind is a huge factor in offensive production. The first thing most players and long time fans do when they get to Wrigley Field is look at the flags to see which way the wind is blowing. In fact, the wind direction can change so quickly that I often find myself checking out the flags over and over again during the same at bat. While patrolling right field, The great Andre Dawson used to pick up blades of grass between pitches in an effort to see which way the wind carried them when he released them. He seemed to believe that this allowed him to better get a better jump on fly balls.

Bryant is trying to tinker with his swing so that balls that are likely to be pop outs will be turned into line drives that can slice through the wind and reach the bleachers when the wind is blowing in. The old baseball adage: "Don't (*mess*) with a streak" will it seems, be ignored in this instance. I'm interested to hear people's comments as to whether this is a good idea, particularly taking into account that Bryant will be coming off such a fine Rookie season.

Only ten days until opening day! Can't wait!!

I doubt Bryant would be tinkering with the swing without some input from, and under the watchful eye of the coaches. After a season at the friendly confines, everyone involved will have come to spring training with some suggestions. Now's the time to be tinkering, as opposed to say game seven, bottom of the ninth, two out, down by three with the bases loaded.
"Hey Skip, I think I'll try something different with my swing for this at bat. Whaddya think?"
Joe Maddon then keels over with an aneurism.
Blue Jays win World Series:001_rolle

That kid is a talent. I don't think any adjustments would hurt. There's obviously quite a bit of thought behind this

Top Bottom