What's new

MLB is becoming a whipped sport.

If you are up 7 runs in the 8th and tee off and hit a Grand Slam home run, the next guy up damn well better think he is going to get thrown at. Come on MLB you are taking the fun out of the game.

I don't buy this at all. So according to the "unwritten rules" you're not allowed to score any more runs after a certain point, you just quit trying? And what is that point? Why not just call the game at that point? Can the team that is being accused of running up the score be guaranteed that the team behind won't still try and outscore them and win the game? I've seen 7 run leads disappear. And if the losing team's pitcher intentionally plonks a batter he should be suspended if not worse. What he's doing is essentially an assault with a deadly weapon. Hitting a batter with a pitch can and has ended careers.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I don't buy this at all. So according to the "unwritten rules" you're not allowed to score any more runs after a certain point, you just quit trying? And what is that point? Why not just call the game at that point? Can the team that is being accused of running up the score be guaranteed that the team behind won't still try and outscore them and win the game? I've seen 7 run leads disappear. And if the losing team's pitcher intentionally plonks a batter he should be suspended if not worse. What he's doing is essentially an assault with a deadly weapon. Hitting a batter with a pitch can and has ended careers.

No, you take a pitch or two, when I played in the 70's and 80's (not professionally by any means.) we would have been benched for crushing a 3-0 pitch up that many runs with the bases loaded. I get it the game is different, I just liked it better the way it used to be played.

The whole "unwritten rules" are a total crock. bases loaded and his not suppose to swing on 3-0. Forget that noise.

I agree. Plus, a seven-run lead in the today's game is not that big a deal. I mean, if guys on the other team want to be pissed off about it, that's their right, and I don't really mind if they want to send a message. But enough of this "unwritten rules" BS.

No, you take a pitch or two, when I played in the 70's and 80's (not professionally by any means.) we would have been benched for crushing a 3-0 pitch up that many runs with the bases loaded. I get it the game is different, I just liked it better the way it used to be played.

But, with contract bonuses based on season stats, players need to take their opportunities when they come.
If leading the league in HRs or RBIs is in the contract, "unwritten" rules don't really apply.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t even know if it’s so much as “unwritten rules” as it is getting payback, holding a grudge, a vendetta, rivalry, etc.

Baseball never forgets.

I think that’s a bit of a 7th inning stretch

Not really. You have a man with deliberation and malice throwing a rock hard object at 90 mph with the express intent of hitting someone which could potentially cause grievous injury.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Not really. You have a man with deliberation and malice throwing a rock hard object at 90 mph with the express intent of hitting someone which could potentially cause grievous injury.

1 time ever in the history of baseball. 1920 when batting helmets were not required and you could spit on and dirty your ball. Dude got hit in the head and died 12 hrs later. It wasn’t malice or intent that killed him. It was no head protection, a dirty ball, and twilight hour. He couldn't see the ball.

If you’re telling me a pitcher is throwing a deadly weapon then a batter is also swinging one. Watch out for that pencil in the umps chest pocket! Cleats on their shoes!! Oh no!!

I’m gonna start calling it Major League Deadly Weapon. Haha. Dang, that sounds like a good movie title actually.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
If you are up 7 runs in the 8th and tee off and hit a Grand Slam home run, the next guy up damn well better think he is going to get thrown at. Come on MLB you are taking the fun out of the game.
On A 3 balls no strike count with 1 out. The pitcher lobbed it up there just for a strike.
Manny Machado is lucky the pitcher threw behind and not at him. Beaning the batter is accepted in that case. Just stay away from his head.
I just saw it today.
Heck a couple years ago Roger Clemens was pitching BP to his sons team and his son hit a homer on him. His next time up dad knocked him down.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You're missing the point but whatever.......

I don’t consider a baseball a deadly weapon. Even if the pitcher’s intentions are to hit the batter. That’s my point. This is the first time I have ever heard anybody (sportscasters, players, friends,) call deliberately throwing at a batter “assault with a deadly weapon”. If you believe it is I suppose that’s your opinion.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
On A 3 balls no strike count with 1 out. The pitcher lobbed it up there just for a strike.
Manny Machado is lucky the pitcher threw behind and not at him. Beaning the batter is accepted in that case. Just stay away from his head.
I just saw it today.
Heck a couple years ago Roger Clemens was pitching BP to his sons team and his son hit a homer on him. His next time up dad knocked him down.

Maybe I should have been clearer above. I said thrown at not hit. As Marty said Gibaut threw behind him. It was a warning, c'mon guys that grand slam was not necessary. He did not try to hit him, after last night maybe he should have. :lol:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
flip.gif

Top Bottom