What's new

Mixed Badger/Boar Brush

Really interested in trying one of these, and curious as to others' experiences.

How do they perform? Better than a standard badger and/or boar? What do you recommend for a model?

Thanks! I've heard the Vulvix is a bit scratchy, due to the badger. Has that been your experience? Same with the SOC-LE?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
IMO, about the same as a Simpson Pure, or TGN best. Maybe a little softer, but with more backbone.

I would think the Semogue brush would be of much better quality. I have heard a lot of negative comments about the knot on the Grosvernor. It seems a lot of people buy them to replace the knot in them because the handle is so nice. Most Semogue owner's sound very happy with their purchase.

I'm eyeing the SOC SE, too.

I find myself using mainly croaps/creams and face lathering. The SOC is very close size-wise to the ultra-cheap VDH boar I started with a few months ago, though I believe the SOC knot is smaller.

Safe to assume the SOC would be comfier on my face? The VDH is my first and only brush, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, all.

Last edited:
My Grosvenor 404 was firm and scritchy; I used it a few times before replacing the knot with all-badger hair. The handle was definitely worth keeping.

That little brush is pretty but is still quite pricklish after several shaves. I was told it will stay like that.

Mine stayed that way and it became too floppy for my taste so I sold it.
The Semogue mixed brushes really are very, very nice!

That little brush is pretty but is still quite pricklish after several shaves. I was told it will stay like that.
Mine softened up a little, but kept the backbone. Overall a great foray into boar and a fun little brush.

Last edited:
Bahhhh!!!! It was available two days ago and I was going to get it today.

Oh well... If there's one thing I can count on, it's semogue releasing many more awesome brushes.

Last edited:
BTW--anyone know what/when the next Semogue SOC or LE or SE is coming around the pike?

I have one mixed badger
I call it: Benelini Mixed badger 20mm shaving brush because i used the handle from this brand although the knot is from Artamis
The first thing that i notice was the bad smell, it needed some de-funk work
Is a little bit scratchy but has an adequate backbone
It's not something "great" but it's nice for a change
I will order another one in 24mm soon.

Top Bottom