What's new

Mitchells Woolfat🤔

After much consideration I just finished shaving with MWF a little while ago. This was a "do or die" shave for this soap because I am about about out of patience trying to dial in the remarkable slickness this soap is known for. To give it the very best opportunity I put a new Nacet on my razor since this is a positively known-good blade in my 38C, right from shave one. Instead of loading from the puck, like I have in the past, I instead scooped out a lightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon of soap (thanks, @TexOkie Shaver!) and smeared that lump of soap in the bowl. I thoroughly saturated my T3 then squeezed out/shook off pretty much all the water I could. With this damp/dry brush I started swirling. I added hot water by letting it drip it off my non-swirling hand and repeated this slow drip and swirl process probably half a dozen times. Just like always, there was no shortage of lather production. I painted a little lather on my hand to see what it feels like and it's feeling PDS™ (Pretty Durn Slick). I lather up my gorgeous face fully prepared to wash everything off at the first sign of drag or tugging and switching back to a puck of Stirling instead. Fattie needs to put ordinance on target this morning or it's headed for the shower stall to live out its final days deodorizing my pit's. I was also sporting an extra days growth (since Mrs. Wogus doesn't mind when I don't shave quite as often and have a little scruff from time to time, if you know what I mean).

(Pause for Dramatic Effect)

So the first pass was very smooth with no dragging. Really nice! Pass two was probably 95% equal to pass one but there maaay have been just a tiny bit of drag going on. Maybe. Still, this is BIG improvement over past shaves with MWF and the first shave on a brand new Nacet is never as good as subsequent shaves in my experience so I'm cutting it just a tiny bit of slack for that reason. All things considered, though, this shave is already leaps and bounds better than previous ones and I'm sensing the slickness I've been looking for. Pass three and a little touching up on my chin left me with a DFS to be sure. Feedback from the alum bar was mild. While not a "Eureka!" moment, I'm calling this shave a very solid success; I got much, much better performance this time around and so MWF will live on to see subsequent shaves. In the future I think I'll bloom the soap smear in the bowl add/or a skosh more water while swirling, since I think the amount of soap I used could have handled it. I'm thinking the, "load like you hate it" crowd is correct and my biggest issue with getting MWF to perform was due in large part to short-loading my brush. That 1/4 teaspoon, I think, is a lot more soap than I would have gotten from my usual loading method.
Awesome. Although I use the spoon on creams, it doesn’t matter what I do so long as what you do works for you. There truly is more than one way to skin The Fat.

Last edited:
After much consideration I just finished shaving with MWF a little while ago. This was a "do or die" shave for this soap because I am about about out of patience trying to dial in the remarkable slickness this soap is known for. To give it the very best opportunity I put a new Nacet on my razor since this is a positively known-good blade in my 38C, right from shave one. Instead of loading from the puck, like I have in the past, I instead scooped out a lightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon of soap (thanks, @TexOkie Shaver!) and smeared that lump of soap in the bowl. I thoroughly saturated my T3 then squeezed out/shook off pretty much all the water I could. With this damp/dry brush I started swirling. I added hot water by letting it drip it off my non-swirling hand and repeated this slow drip and swirl process probably half a dozen times. Just like always, there was no shortage of lather production. I painted a little lather on my hand to see what it feels like and it's feeling PDS™ (Pretty Durn Slick). I lather up my gorgeous face fully prepared to wash everything off at the first sign of drag or tugging and switching back to a puck of Stirling instead. Fattie needs to put ordinance on target this morning or it's headed for the shower stall to live out its final days deodorizing my pit's. I was also sporting an extra days growth (since Mrs. Wogus doesn't mind when I don't shave quite as often and have a little scruff from time to time, if you know what I mean).

So the first pass was very smooth with no dragging. Really nice! Pass two was probably 95% equal to pass one but there maaay have been just a tiny bit of drag going on. Maybe. Still, this is BIG improvement over past shaves with MWF and the first shave on a brand new Nacet is never as good as subsequent shaves in my experience so I'm cutting it just a tiny bit of slack for that reason. All things considered, though, this shave is already leaps and bounds better than previous ones and I'm sensing the slickness I've been looking for. Pass three and a little touching up on my chin left me with a DFS to be sure. Feedback from the alum bar was mild. While not a "Eureka!" moment, I'm calling this shave a very solid success; I got much, much better performance this time around and so MWF will live on to see subsequent shaves. In the future I think I'll bloom the soap smear in the bowl add/or a skosh more water while swirling, since I think the amount of soap I used could have handled it. I'm thinking the, "load like you hate it" crowd is correct and my biggest issue with getting MWF to perform was due in large part to short-loading my brush. That 1/4 teaspoon, I think, is a lot more soap than I would have gotten from my usual loading method.

CONGRATULATIONS!! It takes awhile to figure out the Fat, but the effort is well rewarded!!
:a29: :a29:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interestingly, mine has not only cracked (from infrequent but glorious use) but actually crumbled! It is a few years old.

AA

I trimmed my MWF puck and put it into my old spice mug. It sat in about half way up the mug, now it has swollen so it sticks out of the mug.
Use it most days and love it. Also can't beat a puck that gets bigger each day, instead of smaller like most other pucks. 😍.

Just bought 5 more (free shipping).:001_smile . First time I used it, got wet frothy lather. After that, just beat it longer and got great lather.
BTW: my water is hard enough to drive nails with.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Good job! 👍

I've scooped The Fat and pressed it into my bowl and I've loaded the brush from the puck. Both methods work great. :)

Yesterday, I took what was left of my crock of MWF, ~ 10%, that had dried and cracked into pieces while I was away for two months, wet it until soft, and then shoved it in an empty deodorant dispenser. Today I had my first MWF shave stick shave. Very nice indeed! But like is common with Tabac shave sticks, I put too much soap on. After adding more water onto my brush, it rang true to form and gave me a splendid shave. Here's a pic:
PXL_20201214_195550605.jpg

Top Bottom