What's new

Mitchells Woolfat🤔

Reviews are bound to differ as people's experience with the soap differs. There are those who think it is a superb soap. I'm not in that camp. I not encountered the wonderful lathering performance and post shave feel that many rave about.

Yet I love Williams Mug Soap, a shave soap many revile.

Go figure.

as title, i was considering purchasing Mitchells Woolfat shaving soap, but the online reviews are a bit mixed, so a bit unsure whether it's worth it or not 🤔
As part of an insomnia induced shopping spree I have a puck of MWF winging its way to my doorstep, even as I type this. I've never used it before either and need another soap as about much as I need another hole in my head, but... Amazon says delivery tomorrow.

First puck did not work (foamy mess, tried blooming and many different methods suggested) for me whereas a sample (Never bloomed) that a fellow member sent me worked wonderfully. There seem to be some irregularities in the batches as many people share a similar result.

Last edited:
I have had the same experience as @Timeclo with MWF. With the first puck I bought I could never get anything but a bubbly, foamy and runny lather. A few years later I bought another puck (the first one wound up as a bath soap) and it works great.

I was hesitant to try it, although I got the sense it's one of the classics, because I'm a bit random with lathering and don't always get great lather. So far with two attempts at face lathering both shaves have gone ...

:straight:

... swimmingly.

At least with my water on a heavily loaded brush (I've used badger and horse so far) it lathers up like a dream, has great face feel, and a light clean pleasant scent.

So YMMV!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
...but the online reviews are a bit mixed...

You'll find good and bad reviews for pretty much all soaps. I tried a sample of Martin de Candre, which is one of the highly revered soaps online, and didn't get on well with it at all. I actually got better shaves with the olive oil based cold pour craft soaps that everyone loves to hate. Take every review with a pinch of salt, would be my advice. It's just someone else's personal opinion, and you'll never know whether anything works for you until you try it.

For me personally, Mitchell's is No.1, but that's on my face, with my water hardness, my brushes, my technique preferences, etc etc.

I have and use MWF in my rotation. At first I struggle with it big time. Read a lot of posts on how to get it to lather well and after a bit of perseverance found a method that worked for me. Haven’t looked back since. I guess I’m saying perseverance is the key

First puck did not work (foamy mess, tried blooming and many different methods suggested) for me whereas a sample (Never bloomed) that a fellow member sent me worked wonderfully. There seem to be some irregularities in the batches as many people share a similar result.

I've had two pucks that both just yielded bubbly foam no matter what lathering technique I tried. Might have been from a bad batch, but personally I won't be bothering with MFW again. Not when there are so many other good soaps.

I have been through 1 puck and it lathered okay using a badger brush so no problems. It is quite a hard soap so may take a little time getting used to it.

I loved it, but stopped using it because my oily acne prone skin doesn’t like the lanolin it contains.

it makes for one of the most slick and delightfully aromatic lathers I’ve yet to encounter though, requiring a little more elbow grease and time than everything else I’ve used. The post-shave feel is pretty legendary too.

Top Bottom