What's new

Mitchells Woolfat formula change?

If anyone has been following the MWF saga, turns out there were dud pucks from March 2020 roughly Jan 2021.

There are several reports that the issue had been resolved and it's back to its usual high performance.

If anyone has been following the MWF saga, turns out there were dud pucks from March 2020 roughly Jan 2021.

There are several reports that the issue had been resolved and it's back to its usual high performance.
I wonder if COVID has had something to do with it. Like low staffing at the manufacturing company and/or supply chain issues

I wonder if COVID has had something to do with it. Like low staffing at the manufacturing company and/or supply chain issues

I wonder that too because it was around that time where staffing restrictions etc were being placed around the world.

I'm so glad to see MWF return back to normal!

Great summary! Glad that I ‘missed’ the problems as my older puck is still going strong!! :clap: :clap:

Reactions: nav

I had one of the dodgy pucks that I purchased in May 2020 from West Coast Shaving. I have since used that puck up and purchased another one that I started using about October 2020. It performed the way I expected The Fat to perform. That puck has a week or two left in it at which time I’ll break outa new puck that was purchased last month. I should soon know if we are past the dodgy pucks or not.

Replacement pucks of MWF are always smaller than the MWF ceramic dish. When I get a new puck I run it under water, put it in the dish, and fill the dish with water to about 1/8 to 1/4 of the thickness of the puck. Let this sit overnight or a day or two until the puck absorbs the water. The puck will swell to fit the dish perfectly and it will be slightly softer making it easier to load and lather. If you have filled it with too much water then leave the lid off for a few days and let it dry up to where you like it.
This is exactly what I do and it works every.single.time. Some people will try to convince you that soaking the puck leeches lanolin... I've never once seen that happen, and if anybody else has, I'd wager it's because they used too hot or too much water. You don't want to add more than the puck can absorb.

MWF, after this process, consistently becomes the second easiest lathering soap I've ever personally used.

All assuming you don't have a dodgy late 2020 puck

I had one of the dodgy pucks that I purchased in May 2020 from West Coast Shaving. I have since used that puck up and purchased another one that I started using about October 2020. It performed the way I expected The Fat to perform. That puck has a week or two left in it at which time I’ll break outa new puck that was purchased last month. I should soon know if we are past the dodgy pucks or not.

Please keep us updated when you open up the next puck.

I've got friends waiting for further confirmation before they bulk purchase the fat.

I've got a good puck plus the china bowl in play, bought ~ Feb this year, and two refill pucks lined up, that I bought in April. I'm wondering if I should give one of the refills a test drive...

Keep us posted! PLEASE!

I'd missed that info so thanks for re-posting! I had a puck that gave great shaves to begin with then went drastically down the dissipating lather road like others in some of the threads on MWF. I bought my puck around that time, so if I can't get it to work next time it's in rotation I'll spring for a new one and see if I get on any better with it (luckily they are fairly cheap in the UK!)

I'd missed that info so thanks for re-posting! I had a puck that gave great shaves to begin with then went drastically down the dissipating lather road like others in some of the threads on MWF. I bought my puck around that time, so if I can't get it to work next time it's in rotation I'll spring for a new one and see if I get on any better with it (luckily they are fairly cheap in the UK!)

Oh yeah, you're in the land of the fat!
I see it's very inexpensive there at around £6.
In Australia I get them for around double that!

FWIW, I started using another fresh puck lately that was bought locally last November. It performs as good as ever. However, I've never had any issues with the Fat. I don't know the production date of the latest one, but given its popularity here, I doubt it is that old.

One thing I learned, when I did the FFFMM this year with MWF, where I chose a boar brush, was that they don't work so well with MWF. After the FFFMM was done, I used a badger brush, then a synth on it, and boom, much better lather. Now, I haven't tried my tried and true Omega boar brush on it as of yet, but I won't use my RR boar on it again, the lather was crap.

Top Bottom