What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat

I have to give a +1 on the Tabac recommendations. I use a cheap Tweezerman and am admittedly not great at working up a consistently good lather, but Tabac has been good each and every time I have used it.

You know, you might be lucky and be one of the BBers that has no problems lathering right off the bat with MWF.

Then again, you might be like the others who have to work at it. Since you're new and learning the whole wetshave process, why not go with better odds? Get yourself a puck of something that almost all can agree creates gobs of lather for even the newest Badger Brush tamer: Tabac, Proraso or a host of others come to mind.

Its all about the numbers...which soap gives you the best chance of success based on the data on B&B? Based on the high numbers of folks who post no problems as well as the high numbers who post some lathering difficulty with MWF, its safe to say this soap does not work as well as others...I don't think there is another soap out there that seems to sway as much as MWF on this forum.

Go with the numbers...get something else to start. Then, a few months down the road, by all means give MWF a go.

This post just sparked me to poll B&B to get true data on MWF...more to come in a sec!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I've never had a problem with MWF. Once I use up the partial soaps and sticks I currently have I intend to buy it again and use it to completion.

I've found that MWF is easy to use and gives a great shave. You can pick it up in its Kent incarnation at the Kent eBay store.

I had this same dilemma when I started. I really wanted to try MWF but had heard that it could be hard to lathe, especially as i have hard water. However, I went for it and am now pleased that I did. It was my first soap and don't have much to compare it with, but I love it.

The link http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/How_to_make_great_lather_from_a_soap
I found extremely useful - follow it and you sould have few problems.

Get as much soap into the brush - hold the bristles if nesssesary
then gradually add water to the bowl

I struggled at first, but am pleased I perservered

Hope this helps

Deuser

(can any one tell me how to post links under 'here' rather than copying and pasting)

thanks

(can any one tell me how to post links under 'here' rather than copying and pasting)

thanks

Highlight Here and then press this button

proxy.php

I've found that MWF is easy to use and gives a great shave. You can pick it up in its Kent incarnation at the Kent eBay store.

living in the US, the Kent costs like 25 bucks(with a bowl), while just a brick from west coast shaving is 13 bucks +2.50 shipping

I don't think the bowl is worth over 10 bucks. or am I missing something

living in the US, the Kent costs like 25 bucks(with a bowl), while just a brick from west coast shaving is 13 bucks +2.50 shipping

I don't think the bowl is worth over 10 bucks. or am I missing something

Mine was $18 shipped in the bowl while they were clearing out last year's light colored bowls. On sale, it's nice to have, not on sale, just use Tuperware.

There are three rules to shaving;

Rule no. 1. Use TABAC and you'll get a fantastic shave !

Rule no.2. If in doubt please check rule no. 1.

Rule no. 3. If still in doubt review rules One and two!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

I love MWF, and I find it lathers quick, thick and slick. I do not know why so many claim to have trouble with it. I do know that it is one of my top 3 or 4 favorites, which also include Tabac, L'Occitane CADE and DR Harris Arlington.

If you want MWF, then get MWF and try it for yourself. There is a reason why it has been around for over 100 years!

Perhaps there should be a clarification of sorts. MWF is easy to get lather from, but it is hard to get a thick, dense creamy lather that I am used to from soaps such as Tabac. I find that MWF lather is less dense and unless I spend more time whipping it up, it can tend to disappear while shaving. My best soaps give me a consistency of thick lemon meringue pie topping or even Cool Whip, MWF is more like, well...soap lather.:smile:

It is quality not quantity that I am talking about.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Perhaps there should be a clarification of sorts. MWF is easy to get lather from, but it is hard to get a thick, dense creamy lather that I am used to from soaps such as Tabac. I find that MWF lather is less dense and unless I spend more time whipping it up, it can tend to disappear while shaving. My best soaps give me a consistency of thick lemon meringue pie topping or even Cool Whip, MWF is more like, well...soap lather.:smile:

After using it for a while, I am getting the thick lather you speak of.

No doubt, quantity without quality would be utterly useless. MWF consistently gives me thick, luxuriant lather, with no more effort than Tabac, AoS or any other tallow based soap. I got a great shave with it this very morning.

Some say that hard water can be an issue, but I have never had any problem with it.

You get lather the same as Tabac??? Wow, your guys mileage clearly varies from mine. We must exist in alternate universes that intersect on B&B!:smile:

MWF is a good soap, don't get me wrong. It is in my regular rotation and as long as my arm doesn't give out, I can get a darn good shave. My skin feels silky smooth afterwards (more than with Tabac) even if the lather is not as dense. But the characteristics of this soap are different than my Penhaligons, D.R. Harris, and of course, Tabac!

No doubt, quantity without quality would be utterly useless. MWF consistently gives me thick, luxuriant lather, with no more effort than Tabac, AoS or any other tallow based soap. I got a great shave with it this very morning.

Agreed. I've been Tabac-ing the last six days & actually haven't even come close to equaling the luxurious meringue (four passes on one brushload--EASILY) I get with MWF.

If I'm in a rush I'll rock the PdP or maybe Tabac, but when I want luxury--and four passes--it's the MWF for me, it seems.

Then again, I'm still experimenting with blades, so hopefully one of these days I won't need four passes...

i've used MWF for a very short time;it definitely outperforms williams mug soap,which i had been using;in fact i've enjoyed the best shaves ever;we have softened water and no problems in creating a decent lather;it's probably not practical to use distilled water,but i bet it would solve the hard water problems discussed here,brush water heated in a microwave perhaps;YMMV;

Top Bottom