What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat - Water Sensitive? Answer Inside .

It's something that we read again and again and again ...

Folks in soft water areas claiming Mitchell's Wool Fat to be the easiest lathering soap imaginable, so much so that bathrooms get filled with foam on a regular basis; folks in hard water areas claiming it is like trying to lather a piece of stone. Or so we thought. There are, of course, folks in hard water areas who love Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap and I guess folks in soft water areas who also have issues, so is it really about hard vs soft water?

Over on another forum, we had a discussion where we posted up our water hardness figures to establish who had the hardest water. I think the trophy went to a chap whose water is 447.25 ppm of calcium carbonate (this is hard, by the way) ... mine is 28.8 mg/L (pretty much an equal conversion from ppm to mg/L), by way of comparison and only really pipped by those softies over the Pennines towards the east coast and up into the Lake District here in Britain.

I digress ...

I usually do ...

This chap was good enough to send me a bottle of his unadulterated granite hard water for the purposes of scientific adventure, which would be a side by side test of hard water vs soft water and a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap. Actually, two pucks, since in conversation it was pointed out that my part used puck might well be imbued with the lather-giving qualities of soft water already and so I decided to fetch in a fresh puck of The Fat.

proxy.php

Box fresh, unadulterated, pure "Fat" ...

So, I had my two pucks of soap, a bottle of hard water, soft water on tap and a shaving brush.

proxy.php

I poured about a teaspoon of hard water onto the puck and with only enough time to take a photograph, I went in with 19mm of PurTech synthetic bristles ...

proxy.php

10 swirls clockwise and 10 swirls anti-clockwise, with the intention of building lather for a maximum of 360 seconds.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Done! Well inside that time limit. This is Mitchell's Wool Fat (fresh puck), one initial teaspoon of cold, hard water and a further capful in total added over about 280 seconds, and I am very happy with the lather.

More?

proxy.php

... and that is my experiment over.

Why? Well, I had expected the loading to be ineffective and the lather horrible. I was going to go on to lather up with soft water and my other puck of Mitchell's by way of comparison and then return to the hard water and that puck to see if I could build a lather in a way that I could communicate on to hard water latherers ... but, the loading went well and the lathering went well. In fact, I might even go so far as to say that I actually prefer the lather from the hard water, as it is less foamy initially and gets through the meringue to the whipped cream to the whisked yogurt stage more quickly that with soft water.

Just for fun, here's my regular puck with soft water ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Again, half a teaspoon of water on the soap initially, 10 swirls in either direction and by 360 seconds this is what I had.

Summary?

I actually prefer hard water lathering with Mitchell's! That is quite unexpected!

So, then, what do you suppose accounts for the difference in other's lathering experience? I tried MWF for a while, and could never come up with anything I would consider an acceptable lather. I tried a variety of brushes (synthetic, badger, and boar). I tried different water temperatures. Load time, and water quantity. I just couldn't get it to work. It's a shame really. Even with subpar lather, which often resulted in less than comfortable shaves, my face-feel post shave was usually excellent. Now, when I want the lanolin effect, I just use Haslinger.

This is something I don't know ...

I could be flippant and say it's a case of those who "haz skillz" and those who don't, but I am sure that it is far from that simple.

My experiment above went along the lines of ... "I'll use cold water, load as I would normally and give myself 360 seconds to see what I can manage ...". I fully expected little more than a smear around the base of the bowl with the hard water, given what I'd read, but as you can see I gained far more than that ... and I think you can see that, compared to my regular (soft) water, it is perhaps just that little firmer, denser and more stable.

Goodness knows, I think is the direct answer.

Maybe the key is a synthetic brush?

Personally, I don't have trouble with Da Fat, but also use distilled water to soak my brush and build the lather.

I'm impressed with your diligence, and thank you! I don't know how my water might measure but I managed a good lather straight away.

I don't have any badger brushes (hateful things ... but that's another matter) so I can't test that, but I do have a boar bristle brush.

Pre-soaked and a quick lather ...

Nope, same deal. I get a super lather using hard water and the new puck (second lathering now).

It has been mooted on another forum that perhaps it is how dry the puck becomes that might be an issue ...

I'm going to leave the new puck to dry out and see how it fairs with hard water, then soft water once dried out. My regular puck is used with reasonable frequency, say a couple of times a month, but not what you'd call regularly. It's not fallen foul of any issues through dryness.

I'm starting to suspect that there may be a mineral in some water that works better with MWF. We seem to have proved that water hardness isn't the issue. It would be interesting to send your water to your friend and observe his results. (Back to the lab, boys!!!)

That looks like my Williams lather! But I still cant get anything near that from MWF.

Last edited:
4.5 minutes feels like an eternity when lathering. I wonder if people stop short of a good lather.

Interesting, but did I read this right, this is after 360 seconds or 6 whole minutes of brush swirling to get lather?

My whole shave takes about 11 or 12 minutes from beginning to end and that includes 2 minutes of teeth brushing while my shaving brush soaks and I hydrate my face. Time is money, or in the case of shaving, the choice between using Haslinger Schafmilch Lanolin soap and loading from the puck for 15 seconds verses MWF for 6 minutes is a non brainer. I am staying in bed the extra 5 minutes!

Interesting, but did I read this right, this is after 360 seconds or 6 whole minutes of brush swirling to get lather?

My whole shave takes about 11 or 12 minutes from beginning to end and that includes 2 minutes of teeth brushing while my shaving brush soaks and I hydrate my face. Time is money, or in the case of shaving, the choice between using Haslinger Schafmilch Lanolin soap and loading from the puck for 15 seconds verses MWF for 6 minutes is a non brainer. I am staying in bed the extra 5 minutes!

I don't think most people spend 6 minutes trying to make good lather. If I had to spend that much time with MWF - and I don't - I would give up.

Just shaved with the Fat this evening as we are going out. Fat is wonderful, i bloom the puck, shake 4 times, i swirl for a count of 30 loading my brush, and go to my bowl for a count of 100. I get a great lather doing this with the fat and any soap i try. YMMV

I have hard water, with my boar brush I only need to load for 10-15 seconds and lather for 30-40 seconds. With my badger brush, I load for 20-30 seconds and lather for 40-50 seconds. I've never needed to lather for 6 minutes. I suspect this is a metric conversion issue.

No, no! You're misreading it ...

I had never lathered with hard water, so had no idea what it would take.

I set aside 6 minutes (360 seconds) as the outside parameter - if we were not done by then, chances are we would not be. It could easily have been 5 minutes, could have been 1 ... could have been 30 seconds. Just an arbitrary figure plucked from the air prior to kicking off.

As it happens, loading (20 swirls) takes maybe 4 or 5 seconds, lathering with either hard or soft is done in well under a couple of minutes. I can achieve a shave ready lather in a mere 30 seconds, but here, I was taking my time and going the extra mile.

Yeah, I'd be lathered and shaved inside 6 minutes.

The purpose of this was not to show off how fast I can lather up, but to go through a process and see what happens at various stages ... after 30, 60 or 120, we're done but longer lathering makes better and better lather ... by 240 or 280, we're definitely done ... by 360 there's no point going any further.

The purpose of this was to have a poor lather from hard water, show comparison with soft and then go back to hard water to see if I could find a way to make it work ... but as it happens, there was no issue whatsoever. Making lather with cold or hot water of either soft or hard water was of no issue. Loading and lathering is entirely unproblematic.

This has been posted on other forums and the consensus is, folks who simply cannot lather MWF simply cannot lather MWF. Folks who can, can.

Water hardness, water temperature, brush type and left/right handedness are of no impact - quality lather can be achieved with any of those parameters.

Last edited:
Well, my wife claims things take 3 minutes when I'm certain they take 30 minutes.....maybe its a guy thing. So women would be metric and guys would be imperial....or maybe vice versa?

This has been posted on other forums and the consensus is, folks who simply cannot lather MWF simply cannot lather MWF. Folks who can, can.

Water hardness, water temperature, brush type and left/right handedness are of no impact - quality lather can be achieved with any of those parameters.

Then why do some people that are experienced in Soap Lathering various soaps, using their local water, be it hard or soft, warm or cold, often have trouble lathering with MWF?

Its a wonder that people that can't lather MWF, don't have an inferiority complex. Or maybe they do!

Top Bottom