What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap

Greetings,

Has anyone ever heard of and/or used this soap before? I first read about it on the Andover Shop website several months back when I first got interested in wet shaving. Here is the Andover shop for those curious: http://www.theandovershop.com/accessories.html but thought nothing of it until I again came across it on the Cassell-Wood’s website that I am also including here for you to peruse at your convenience: http://www.cassell-wood.com/mitchells.html

As I do have very sensitive skin I thought it would be a good fit for me personallly since the soap has been recommended by several members of the medical profession to alleviate certain skin complaints. Supposedly, because it is so rich in lanolin its gentle action is very soothing and leaves the skin satin smooth.

Because of all this, I am leaning towards giving it a shot but would love to here any feedback on it if any.

Cheers,

Joe

HlSheppard said:
Joe -

I have wanted to try it for ages and just can't get past the price... :blushing:

I admit as well that it is quite expensive. With that in mind even though it is pricey that would not necessarily stop me from getting it. I was doing some more research this morning and discovered that they have a shaving dish and soap as well as just the shaving soap refill. The shaving soap with the dish is TOO expensive ($55+) in my opinion but I would consider the soap refill at $20. Here it is if interested, this site also has the other Mitchell's products.
http://www.design-emporium.com/bestsoapever.htm Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Joe

Hey Joe,
One of the denizens of the shaving forums said that Kent used Mitchell's soap for their shaving soap. Of this I cannot be sure, but I could not find Mitchells at the time and purchased the Kents. It is loaded with lanolin and a delightfully soothing shave. I can only assume that the absurd price of Mitchells can be related to profiteering by those that suddenly recognized the recent boom in wet shaving.

guenron said:
Hey Joe,
One of the denizens of the shaving forums said that Kent used Mitchell's soap for their shaving soap. Of this I cannot be sure, but I could not find Mitchells at the time and purchased the Kents. It is loaded with lanolin and a delightfully soothing shave. I can only assume that the absurd price of Mitchells can be related to profiteering by those that suddenly recognized the recent boom in wet shaving.

Ron,

With that in mind, would you still consider trying the Mitchell's products to include the shaving soap?

Joe

I tried some of Mitchell's hand lotion at the British import store, it was by far the best I have ever used. It absorbed almost immediately and my hands were fine the whole day. I probably would have gotten it but I still have half a tube of the not so cheap C&E Goatmilk lotion left. I just can't be spending money on hand lotion the way I do on shaving cream lol. I really wanted to try their shaving soap too, but contented myself with knowing there is some lanolin in my Proraso.

farangzookzon said:
Ron,

With that in mind, would you still consider trying the Mitchell's products to include the shaving soap?

Joe
Joe,
Please accept my apology for not responding sooner.. I just noticed your question when running down threads with new posts. If I understand your question, YES.:thumbup1:

guenron said:
Joe,
Please accept my apology for not responding sooner.. I just noticed your question when running down threads with new posts. If I understand your question, YES.:thumbup1:

No worries Ron, I assumed as much. :tongue: Incidently Ron, do you dress casual for work or "dress to the nines," (suits)? I only ask since you strike (since you have such great taste) me as the type of guy to wear Oxxford suits and the likes. :biggrin:

Cheers,

Joe

farangzookzon said:
No worries Ron, I assumed as much. :tongue: Incidently Ron, do you dress casual for work or "dress to the nines," (suits)? I only ask since you strike (since you have such great taste) me as the type of guy to wear Oxxford suits and the likes. :biggrin:

Cheers,

Joe

Ron...mmmmmhhh....I suspect blue striped seersucker, with a straw hat, sipping a mint julep and eating candied pecans, with a slow moving ceiling fan chasing away the June bugs. :w00t: :wink:

Kent Soap (Mitchell's Wool Fat) is by far my favourite product of ALL the soaps and creams I have. I would use it everyday if it didn't make for a boring SOTD picture :smile: .

Like was said above it is a very soothing soap. My face feels better and moisturized after I shave than before. It lathers very easy, but requires a bit of practice to get a nice slick lather from it, and may disappoint if you don't get the right lather from it (start off with the brush a little on the dryer side, build lather on face or bowl, and then add a touch more water to the brush). While the scent is very light (which I prefer), it is a delightful scent. I love this stuff, what more can I say. I also use Mitchell's bath soap in the shower, and it too, is great. I use it to wash my face with and is very gentle. If you are not sensitive to lanolin, I would highly recommend it. Kent were selling off their old style wooden bowls with a new soap puck on ebay for quite cheap, they may still have some. I picked up 5 bowls!

I sniffed this a Clyde's the other day. The scent is very pleasing. Light, but clean and classy, I'd say. Don't know about the price though. It looked pretty pricey, but there was no price tag to be found. But they charge $37 a tub for Trumper anyway, so....

Wow. That is cheap. I think I actually like the Kent wooden bowl better, although some might prefer the white glass one the Mitchell's branded version comes in. But at that price....

I

intlxploitr

:wink2:
I would reccomend the Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap to anyone who has sensitive skin or is truly interested in knowing what it feels like to not only shave but clean your face at the same time. I have been using Mitchell's when I can find re-fill cakes for almost 10 years and absolutely love it as an indulgence as well as a superior shave soap. Yeah the porcelain bowl and cake are expensive at 55, but don't forget that bowl is porcelain and re-usable.... The bowl is also special in that if any of you have used Mitchell's will know that the diameter is larger than most standard cakes of shave soap, therefore the need for the special bowl. She won't fit into a Caswell - Massey or Trumper bowl at all, much less a standard sized mug, having said that, you can expect a cake of Mitchell's to last between 6 - 9 months even with daily shaving.

Hope that this truly helps you with a better informed decision. Oh yes, you can also utilise the Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap, however, be careful because it doesn't have the clay in it to prevent slipping.

intlxploitr said:
:wink2:
I would reccomend the Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap to anyone who has sensitive skin or is truly interested in knowing what it feels like to not only shave but clean your face at the same time. I have been using Mitchell's when I can find re-fill cakes for almost 10 years and absolutely love it as an indulgence as well as a superior shave soap. Yeah the porcelain bowl and cake are expensive at 55, but don't forget that bowl is porcelain and re-usable.... The bowl is also special in that if any of you have used Mitchell's will know that the diameter is larger than most standard cakes of shave soap, therefore the need for the special bowl. She won't fit into a Caswell - Massey or Trumper bowl at all, much less a standard sized mug, having said that, you can expect a cake of Mitchell's to last between 6 - 9 months even with daily shaving.

Hope that this truly helps you with a better informed decision. Oh yes, you can also utilise the Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap, however, be careful because it doesn't have the clay in it to prevent slipping.

Welcome to the B&B!

Goosemeplease said:
Take a look at the prices here! I just ordered several lifetimes worth.

Thanks Richard!

I ordered 5 of them last February.....and so far I have used a quarter of the first one!!! Great Stuff:thumbup:

Brian

Top Bottom