What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap

I used this stuff for the past week, I don't like it.

I must confess I am a cream guy, I have not used a soap in quite some time but I can't get this soap to lather well.

I have been using my Simpson super badger brush to rub the soap for about 45 seconds and then 'trying" to face lather. I don't get much lather and the lather that is there is not very protective. I have multiple nicks using my Merkur with feather blades (this is my regular combo and I never get nicks).

Is Mitchell's all that and the problem is me, or is it over hyped?

Some people attribute its success/failure to soft vs hard water. Most people recommend face lathering as well. I personally bowl lather and have used a Omega boar, VDH boar, Tweezerman badger, and now recently my Simpson best. I notice that more product is needed than my soft soaps require, so maybe a bowl and more product will work for you?

BTW I no longer use heat with any of my soaps or creams since it tends to kill my foam to much. The lower temperatures required to keep the lather's consistency just does not cut it on warmth for me.

I'm trying to dial my technique in but it's been an incredible experience so far. My best experience is with hot water and a bit more water than might be intuitive. It's a thirsty micelle, I reckon.

It took me about 4 tries before I figured out how to lather MWF.Keep at it and you will be rewarded with a great soap in your rotation.

A few drops of hot water on soap, swill brush on soap and face lather; works great. I use a hot shot water dispenser and I enjoy the heated lather. Good cushion and slick.

What works for me is to put a 1/4 inch of hot water in the bowl and walk away for a minute or two. When I come back, I pour the water out and the soap is just a little bit softer for lathering.

I bought a sample of it, and my first time out, I got better then ok lather. I loaded the crap out of my brush, and then bowl lathered... But I found I load a lot on the brush. I also put a little bit of water on the soap then shower. And I shook out most the water in my brush. Granted, it wasn't amazing lather, but for my first time with it, I have to say, the results were good... I cold water rinsed and was done. No witch hazel or AS balm.

My second time, the lather was a bit better. Still not amazing, but I really like it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Is there enough water? Some have issues with MWF, I find it fairly easy to use. Give it a few tries but if it doesn't work, go back to what it works!

I feel that part of a soap's "performance" is how easy it is to lather. If you have to struggle with it, that can outweigh other performance aspects.

I'd try it for a bit longer, because different soaps require slightly different approaches to lather (especially relative to creams) and you might have just not gotten the hang of this one yet, but if you find that you still can't lather it well, I'm sure there is something out there that will perform much better for you. Don't struggle with something that doesn't work for you just because it works for others!

To your last question: It's not over-hyped, it just doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited:
I never had any problem with MWF, but consensus seems to be that once you figure it out it's no harder than any other soap.

As for me, I recommend loading "dryish", then adding small spoonfuls of hot hot water bit by bit and face lathering. MWF is a "thirsty beast", though--which may account for its remarkable slickness and cushion. And no soap is more moisturizing or protective of the skin after you rinse it off. (surreptitiously rubs hand on jaw...)

The first few times I used MWF, it failed me miserably. It was only persistence based upon recommendations here that finally paid off. Once mastered, MWF is up there with the best of them. In this hard water area, I now have no problems whatsoever. Plenty of loading is the key. Ironically, whereas most recommend a dryish brush, I use a wetter one. It all comes down to adequate loading...ONE minute Minimum for me.

I use lots of product, loading with a wet brush for a full minute. It took a while to figure it out but now the Fat is one of my regulars. But it still comes down to what works for you. There is so much good product out there that you don't have to frustrate yourself too badly. Enjoy your shave.

A boar brush with a medium backbone might work for you. I face lather with my Semogue 1520 and I get a ton of lather. I rub the puck on my face beforehand and then go to work with a wetted brush. My Semogue 1305 has more loft and is better for bowl lathering but I still have to pick up a lot of product when I load the brush. My brush is almost dry when I load it and I presoak the puck to soften it. I soak the brush and puck in the same container and then pour out the water and then lightly squeeze out my brush, I then go to loading my brush for a good minute or so, sometimes I'll add a little water if the brush seems to be too dry. and then onto the bowl to make tons of lather. Don't give up keep trying, you'll get it.

Clayton

I couldn't get a protective lather from the the Fat no matter what I tried. It's too bad because I really liked the scent, fresh, soapy, nice.

I couldn't get a protective lather from the the Fat no matter what I tried. It's too bad because I really liked the scent, fresh, soapy, nice.

You've got hard water though right?. That'll make it hard to get good lather.

Clayton

BTW I no longer use heat with any of my soaps or creams since it tends to kill my foam to much. The lower temperatures required to keep the lather's consistency just does not cut it on warmth for me.

Interesting. I put my soap bowl in my water heater for about ten minutes to warm the soap. I've never had a problemo with lather, but I'll try this and see if I notice a difference. Mind you, I'm not talking about MWF here.

I've found it to be fickle when it comes to heat; if you don't mind a cooler lather, use warm water instead of hot.

It seems to like a lot of water--added gradually.

I usually use a horse brush on it, and the backbone helps. The Wee Scot does great with it too. Scotland knows from wool!

I load and face lather MWF for longer than I do other soaps. I have a Dirty Bird scuttle that works great if it's not too hot -- the swirled bowl generates a terrific lather when you swirl around and back, around and back.

Top Bottom