What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap

I went at it for 30 seconds today instead of a minute with my Berkeley. Did 3.5 passes when you consider my trouble spots and touch-ups. I still easily had 2 passes of lather left. And it was crazy good lather. Not as dry as yesterdays. Just really amazing. I'm using it all week. I try to get all of my weekday shaves up on YT, so you know, if you want to to watch, feel free. ;)

What is the link for your you tube channel?

Ive heard contradictory things about this soap. Some say its very good for sensitive skin, others (think I heard it in a Mantic59 video e.g.) says that it can irritate and cause ingrown hairs. whats your experience?

YMMV. If you happen to be sensitive to lanolin, that would be a problem. Subpar lather might lead to ingrowns.

YMMV. If you happen to be sensitive to lanolin, that would be a problem. Subpar lather might lead to ingrowns.

Exactly, it's not the soap that leads to ingrowns. Lanolin sensitivity is another issue, it can cause a rash, itch etc. Given how many 10's of thousands of people use MWF around the world, I don't think lanolin sensitivity is a wide-spread problem...
...I have only read of a handful of issues on B&B regarding lanolin over the last 3 years of membership.

You do need to work the soap on your face for a bit longer than other soaps, it is very thirsty. Once you reach the proper hydrated level, the lather is like no other soap I have used, making MWF my daily soap!

Last edited:
MWF is one of the best soaps out there. It does have a steeper learning curve than many other soaps but the reward is worth the effort.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I considered selling my MWF after the first couple if weeks trying to use it. Now it has a permanent spot in my den and is one of my favorites. BTW, I load in the dish and face lather, my B&B essential boar brush works great

I dont switch between soaps often, and when it comes to using MWF it would take me about two or three days shaving with it to get used to lathering with it (again). My view is to stick with one brush and use the same soap for a few days and you'll get use to its characteristics (water:product ratio). No two brand of soap behave the same. Limit the variables.

In fact stick with just ONE soap (MWF) in your routine and you'll have no problems after a few days shaving.

I do the same thing with all my soaps and it hasn't failed me yet. I put a teaspoon or so of hot water on the soap and wet the brush with hot water and set it on the counter edge of the sink. Then jump in the shower. So it sits there for about 5 to 10 minutes. I then dump whatever water is on top of the soap and rinse the brush with more hot water. Remove most of the water from the brush before putting it to the soap. If I'm getting nowhere I put a little water to the brush tips and go again. I'll add water to the brush slowly like this until I get the results I'm looking for. Maybe there are better ways but this works for me. Even with MWF. We do have a water softener as well.

Someday I might try MWF, but I'm still put off by the description of the scent. Even though it's mild, it would probably not work with my skin. I don't do well with any perfumes or essential oils on my face. I wish they made an unscented. Guess I'll have to break down and order a sample to see how it works for me.

Nick

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
It's just not for me. I get it to lather well,but for some reason I just don't feel it as being cushiony or protective and it dries out my skin.
However, since I am a 3017 kinda guy, I am gonna finish it off.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I would not call MWF scented. I don't think there is any scent added.

What are you using now?

Someday I might try MWF, but I'm still put off by the description of the scent. Even though it's mild, it would probably not work with my skin. I don't do well with any perfumes or essential oils on my face. I wish they made an unscented. Guess I'll have to break down and order a sample to see how it works for me.

Nick

I would not call MWF scented. I don't think there is any scent added.

What are you using now?

I use QCS unscented, MdC unscented, and Mike's unscented.

There are several ingredients in MWF that are only related to scent, including limonene and linalool. Other products with linalool have caused problems for me. That's one of the reasons I've been unwilling to spend the money for MWF. It's not really unscented.

Nick

I wouldn't bother, Nick. Or I might just out of compulsion, the Will to Omniscience as a friend of mine calls it. If that's where you're coming from, there's no stopping you.
But reasonably: you already know some ingredients are likely to cause problem for you. Or at least the one ingredient, linalool.
For me: I have not yet used QCS soap (soon!) but the others you mention seem to me to be better, both. (As in more protective against irritation, easier to get closer shaves comfortably).

Finally, my guess is that since you've noted elsewhere that you find Mike's "finicky" to lather, you just might find MWF maddening. (Of course this may change with a new brush...!)

Wagstaff: you know me well, buddy. Better than most guys here. I'm always curious about stuff that get a lot of positive reviews. Even when I already have other products that work great for me.

Regarding Mike's: I shaved with it today and had fabulous results. My lathering skills have improved so much that I can probably conquer MWF. I'm just not sure the scent would work for me, or that the shave would be any better than with Mike's.

Nick

I always soak my puck in warm water while I shower, and it fixes a lot of what people have a problem with. I have a water softener so, YMMV, but it works for me.

The only problem I have with MWF is creating too much lather. This stuff just explodes for me, amazing soap.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I considered selling my MWF after the first couple if weeks trying to use it. Now it has a permanent spot in my den and is one of my favorites. BTW, I load in the dish and face lather, my B&B essential boar brush works great

Shaved with the fat this morning. Not great. I got a good lather but lots of irritation afterwards. Damn MWF is a fickle wench

I'm confused as to the trouble people have with MWF - it has to be a hard water issue. For me, it explodes into lather, and feels like a giant feather pillow on my face. MWF is in my permanent rotation.

Top Bottom