What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is no longer Tallow based

I agree. These reformulations, as Phil pointed out in another thread I think, also change a number of other ingredients. There’s nothing magic about tallow by itself as a fat. I cannot tell tallow D.R. Harris hard soaps from the non-tallow D.R Harris hard soaps...
Tallow does contain higher amounts of oleic acid than most other fats, and that does have excellent skin moisturizing properties.

Granted, using castor oil and shea butter can also add oleic acid to a soap. It takes some very careful tuning to make a vegan soap that is almost like a tallow soap, and very few soaps will ever get that same (as someone described it) 'unctuous' lather a tallow soap can create. Though to be fair, not even all tallow based soaps are capable of that either.

Perhaps someone who has never tried MWF, could use old and new version for a week each. That way, judgement wouldn't be influenced by Tallow Is God mentality!, I doubt if the new version will ever ever get a fair review by those stuck in the tallow mud so to speak.
Like me?

I consider Saponifico Verisino to be every bit as good as the best tallow soaps, and there are no tallow based shaving creams.

...but yeah, maybe this time they've cracked the code and finally made the first great palm oil based soap the world has ever seen. It wouldn't even have to be as good as tallow MWF to hit that benchmark.

I can think of only two tallow to veg reformulations that were as good as the previous tallow based formulas, and none that were better (except maybe Erasmic Supreme). I'm not holding my breath on this one either.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Like me?

I consider Saponifico Verisino to be every bit as good as the best tallow soaps, and there are no tallow based shaving creams.

...but yeah, maybe this time they've cracked the code and finally made the first great palm oil based soap the world has ever seen. It wouldn't even have to be as good as tallow MWF to hit that benchmark.

I can think of only two tallow to veg reformulations that were as good as the previous tallow based formulas, and none that were better (except maybe Erasmic Supreme). I'm not holding my breath on this one either.
Have to ask which were the two

Perhaps someone who has never tried MWF, could use old and new version for a week each. That way, judgement wouldn't be influenced by Tallow Is God mentality!, I doubt if the new version will ever ever get a fair review by those stuck in the tallow mud so to speak.

...Its like going to a burger joint for decades only for them to change the recipe and construct of the burger whilst being told after you buy it that the meat is vegan and tastes exactly the same by the store but factually it isn't and the taste is completely different...

The burger joint posts a notice at the counter:

"The previous burger with a patty containing beef is no longer being produced. The burger patty is changing, but will still be served between two pieces of bread, this is exactly the same as always.

There were some changes required due a change in ingredient availability and this new recipe continues to maintain the high quality burger our customers expect. The quality and feel of the burger is paramount and we're happy that you'll like it anyway."

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'd be willing to cut MWF some slack except for this:

If you make a change to a product that results in a different ingredient list, you have your labels ready to go and you ensure that correct labels are on products that you provide to your consumers and business partners. What if the ingredient list had included something that someone had a severe allergic reaction to?

And then, mostly THIS

If they did not expect that there would be such disappointment, then they had an expectation that there would be no disappointment in the change. This in turn means they were aware of the change, and did not communicate it to their consumers and business partners.
Yup...sometimes companies make bonehead mistakes in how they handle new product rollouts, communications and damage control. Different folks will have different reactions to those bonehead mistakes. And that's okay. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
To be fair, this is all according to Kent, one side of the story.

We have not heard from MWF directly, we have only seen sections of a private email between MWF & Kent.

Unless I missed something, this thread has spiralled into more than just Tallow being removed and I haven't read every post.

I'm reserving my judgement or stance on it, until after I hear both sides of the story and explanation.
This. ⬆️

The burger joint posts a notice at the counter:

"The previous burger with a patty containing beef is no longer being produced. The burger patty is changing, but will still be served between two pieces of bread, this is exactly the same as always.

There were some changes required due a change in ingredient availability and this new recipe continues to maintain the high quality burger our customers expect. The quality and feel of the burger is paramount and we're happy that you'll like it anyway."
Except it's more like, "we can no longer use the same onions we used to use, so we switched to a soy based meat patty."

The Vitos cream has tallow.

Ingredients: Aqua, Stearic acid, Glycerin, Cocos nucifera, Potassium hydroxide, Hydrogenated tallow, Sodium hydroxide, Cocamide Dea, Boric acid, Sodium lauryl sulfate, Sodium laureth sulfate, Lauramide MIPA, Cocamide MEA Glycol distearate, Laureth-10, Sodium metasilicate Lanolin, Eucalyptol, Hydroxyethylcellulose. Tetrasodium EDTA

The Vitos cream has tallow.

Ingredients: Aqua, Stearic acid, Glycerin, Cocos nucifera, Potassium hydroxide, Hydrogenated tallow, Sodium hydroxide, Cocamide Dea, Boric acid, Sodium lauryl sulfate, Sodium laureth sulfate, Lauramide MIPA, Cocamide MEA Glycol distearate, Laureth-10, Sodium metasilicate Lanolin, Eucalyptol, Hydroxyethylcellulose. Tetrasodium EDTA
Yeah, I thought of that one after I posted, but I still think it's a stretch to call that shaving cream tallow based, any more than calling Mitchell's Wool Fat lanolin based. It's glycerin and coconut based with some tallow in it. It can't be a whole lot, otherwise it would be so stiff it would be a soap, not a shaving cream.

Lets just start shaving with lard.
1686243229533.png

Yeah, I thought of that one after I posted, but I still think it's a stretch to call that shaving cream tallow based, any more than calling Mitchell's Wool Fat lanolin based. It's glycerin and coconut based with some tallow in it. It can't be a whole lot, otherwise it would be so stiff it would be a soap, not a shaving cream.

Yeah I think you are spot on. I've seen a few pictures of it and it looks like a croap consistency but in a tube. It's supposed to be pretty good, I'd have bought some but I was a little wary of the SLS. My hands sometime react to it, so I would be reluctant to use it on my face!

Lets just start shaving with lard.
View attachment 1667651

Along those lines I saw a shaving soap that has sodium lardate as an ingredient!

Top Bottom