What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is no longer Tallow based

I am cautious about this. La Toja stick changed from tallow and it is still a good soap. Maybe the MWF will still be a top tier soap. I am afraid it is now just going to be one more palm oil soap amongst the many so-so soaps. I usually, but not always, prefer tallow soaps and MWF had both tallow and lanolin, making it a very luxurious soap.

I am not sure who makes these decisions for businesses. A soap may have the same slickness and cushion after reformulation, BUT...does it have the same feel? Is the experience the same?

Is the consensus from those that have tried the new formula that it's basically the same soap but easier to lather? If so, why aren't we cheering? Unless someone is going to tell me that it isn't as slick, or that the post-shave is significantly worse.

Is the consensus from those that have tried the new formula that it's basically the same soap but easier to lather? If so, why aren't we cheering? Unless someone is going to tell me that it isn't as slick, or that the post-shave is significantly worse.
You've made a good point t. Those moaning don't seem to have tried the new soap. Wouldn't it be ironic if it is better, when I read of people buying a lifetime supply of tallow!
What of all the posts in the past when loads of shavers moaned it was hard to lather. .

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I may be in the minority here, and perhaps it is a sign of advancing years, but I simply do not like such changes, even if they are for the better. I have not used MWF for several years as I did not care for the company nor the soap, and I have no care if tallow is or is not used; nevertheless I will not try MWF again, even if it is much improved, because it has been changed. I accept of course that few if any products remain totally unchanged throughout their lifetime. It makes no sense I know, but if I had sense then I would not own enough Yardley soap to open a chain of shops 🤣

Just to be clear, our current stock of a couple hundred pucks is all tallow-based. Sorry if the receptionist that answered was misinformed. We will only be selling the tallow version until it runs out & then switch to the new formula exclusively.

Here's part of my correspondence with Mitchell's:

"The rumour is true, the base (soap noodles) used in the creation of the shaving soap will no longer contain tallow (made from Bovine and porcine bi-products) but that isn’t the wool fat element of the product, and absolutely will always contains Lanolin, the Wool Fat, which is intrinsic to brand.

The quality and consistency remains at the forefront of all we do, and the change in base formulation, brought on in part by changes in the use of some common preservatives, will not detract from performance or the feel, whilst maintaining a more consistent availability of supply and stability of the market.

The bath and hand soaps continue to use the same base, with the tallow base being the best for that purpose. We currently have no plans to change the formulation of the original soap.

I’m happy to chat through the subject, but please be assured the shaving soap quality will continue as always."
Thank you for the detailed writeup.

Bought a few pucks, with confidence that this is the old forumula. In my timezone I've always run out of luck in pursuing a source for a discontinued product in the ensuing mob hysteria of hoarders.

ps. Hope you don't fire the errant receptionist. You've got more positive reviews , sales and customers thanks to her ! ;)

Last edited:
You've made a good point t. Those moaning don't seem to have tried the new soap. Wouldn't it be ironic if it is better, when I read of people buying a lifetime supply of tallow!
What of all the posts in the past when loads of shavers moaned it was hard to lather. .
A lot of the charm of MWF was that it was a UK product that had been around for quite a long time and worked well for many people.

Now, it is a UK product in name only, made in Southeast Asia somewhere by the lowest bidder. It only pretends to be the same soap. Of course, the price will remain the same for us, so who is benefiting from this change? It's like an MBA's dream, cashing out on some great brand recognition. May as well use Mogno, Musgo, Razorock What The Puck, etc., etc.

I've got enough soaps already, I refuse to hoard the old formula MWF. I'll just let it go.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it is better, when I read of people buying a lifetime supply of tallow!
With Tabac tallow being discontinued, I bought only two pucks. Mostly only to have some “variety” together with the new formula. With MWF, I got five pucks. In my case, those five pucks will last me four years at best. Even if it was not discontinued, I would have still ordered three or five pucks, as I rarely place an order only for one item. Now, if the new formula is equal or even better, that’s good enough for me as I am happy with the tallow one already.

The bath and hand soaps continue to use the same base, with the tallow base being the best for that purpose. We currently have no plans to change the formulation of the original soap.
It doesn't make any sense to me to change the shaving soap but not the bath and hand soap base. Why change one but not the other? The only explanation that can possibly make any sort of sense to me is that the shaving soap is the vast majority of their sales, but I find that unlikely.

It doesn't make any sense to me to change the shaving soap but not the bath and hand soap base. Why change one but not the other? The only explanation that can possibly make any sort of sense to me is that the shaving soap is the vast majority of their sales, but I find that unlikely.

I presume it's down to Mitchells using two different factories to produce their shaving soaps and another to produce the bath/hand soap. The one that produces shaving soaps has phased out tallow noodles, whilst the other one still have them for now.

The soap is not going to change. A lot of people, including me, have relied on it to heal their skin and keep it hydrated. It is recommended by some doctors and sure is better than those things that come in bottles that the pharmacists recommend. I'd be surprised if they changed the original soap.

You've made a good point t. Those moaning don't seem to have tried the new soap...
Please allow us to mourn the loss of a dear friend. This is what is happening in this thread, in case you are still wondering. This will take all five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Just give us time to heal. Would that be too much to ask?
...Wouldn't it be ironic if it is better, when I read of people buying a lifetime supply of tallow!...
It is their choice to make. Irony is part of life and makes it more interesting. How boring would be without it. Can anyone imagine a totally predictable life? Yacks...

...What of all the posts in the past when loads of shavers moaned it was hard to lather...
Critical thinking. Some have it, some don't.

Last edited:
If you like good value, tallow soaps, now is the time to stock up. With whatever is left on this fast depleting market.
Yesterday I looked over my inventory of soaps I considered of excellent value, and the ones I bought... ok...ok... hoarded.

Tallow Speick
Palmolive stick
Tallow Mitchell's Wool Fat
Tallow Tabac
D R Harris
La Toja
Wilkinson Sword stick
Williams
Arko
Lea stick
Cyril R Salter

Can you tell me which ones I can still buy today?
Yeah, that's right, I can still buy artisan's $20 (and up) croaps. If I wanted.

I may be in the minority here, and perhaps it is a sign of advancing years, but I simply do not like such changes, even if they are for the better. I have not used MWF for several years as I did not care for the company nor the soap, and I have no care if tallow is or is not used; nevertheless I will not try MWF again, even if it is much improved, because it has been changed. I accept of course that few if any products remain totally unchanged throughout their lifetime. It makes no sense I know, but if I had sense then I would not own enough Yardley soap to open a chain of shops 🤣
Im in the same boat. Lots of change lately and l dont see much for the better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This thread is obviously about the fairly recent news that MWF has changed. Anyone who has seen this play out before knows full well that those who liked the soap as it was are going to be worried (rightfully so) and possibly complain about change.
Let's say there's a 50% chance the change makes it better, a 25% chance it's just as good and a 25% chance it makes it worse.
The way it was before the change, the people who liked it had a 100% chance they would like it. Now they face a 25% chance it's going to be worse, and they won't like it. That's not terrific odds, even if the numbers are just an example.
Let me ask a return question to yours:
Why is it of anyone's concern that people who like a product might complain that it is being changed? It's certain that you don't appear to be concerned about it, but there are those who are concerned. Let them have their opportunity to voice their worry.

Boy am I glad I stocked up on Tallow soaps including this one. I will never get why this is what all brands will end up doing. Correct me if I’m wrong but, pretty sure no animal is slaughtered for the tallow. It’s more of using all the parts of the animal. Can’t see any good in throwing tallow away to purposely make vegan soaps. Oh well. What do I know.

I'm shocked by the criticism of Mitchell s about their new soap when they haven't tried it. It may get BETTER than the tallow version. This thread has created a lynch mob !!
Hope we hear from shavers who have used the new soap maybe even not realising it has no tallow.

Since the tallow version of MWF has always been one of my favorites, when I heard the news, I placed an order for four more pucks from @Mens Room Barber Shop immediately. It's a product I know well and love.

How will the new version compare? I'll find out when I run out of the tallow, and I'll reserve judgement until then.

Since the tallow version of MWF has always been one of my favorites, when I heard the news, I placed an order for four more pucks from @Mens Room Barber Shop immediately. It's a product I know well and love.

How will the new version compare? I'll find out when I run out of the tallow, and I'll reserve judgement until then.
4 pucks? It's almost like you just ordered enough to qualify for free shipping...

I did the same to supplement the 3 pucks I ordered from Amazon. I figure that by the time I work my way through 7 1/2 pucks of MWF, they will have reformulated it again to match the performance of the original formula. If Saponifico Verisino can make an awesome vegan soap, MWF ought to be able to do the same, eventually.

I don't trust first reformulations much, When they switch from tallow to veg base. Trumper's is a textbook example of a good soap being turned into a **** soap. It's still garbage. Pretty looking garbage, and wonderful smelling garbage, but garbage nonetheless.

SAPONIFICIO VARESINO FELCE AROMATICA 4.3 SHAVING SOAP 150G = $50CAD
Saponificio Varesino Shaving Soap Refills = $55.00CAD

MWF tallow splendor = $10CAD

Thank you very much. They can go SV style, if they choose so. It is their business after all. Not mine.

Top Bottom