What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is no longer Tallow based

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I suspect if the soap had changed TO tallow, you'd all be moaning!!,
This is true, but probably not for the reasons imagined.
The problem with reformulating from a Tallow soap to a Non-tallow soap, or from going from a Non-tallow soap to a Tallow soap isn't the gain or loss of the tallow, tallow isn't a magical substance, the problem is the reformulation itself.
In many peoples experience, mine included, the reformulation results in an inferior product.
That's plenty of reason to moan IMHO.
Hopefully the reformulation doesn't change the soap to garbage like so many others have done.
Current indications are promising, but time will tell.

Hopefully the reformulation doesn't change the soap to garbage like so many others have done.
Could you give me a couple of examples? I'm just curious since it must have happened before my time here. I never was interested in Speick and some feel that the new Tabac isn't that bad. Apparently Haslinger was able to pull it off. I haven't tried the three I just mentioned.

Someone who has tried the new version (there's at least one and I suspect many more during the coming week) should start a thread for reviews of the non-tallow MWF. I am tempted to get a puck myself just to see...I mean, it could turn out like veggie Haslinger, which is one of my favourite soaps!

Reactions: Kix
I doubt it. The whole 1893 formula thing is nothing but a lot of marketing nonsense and the so called original formula has almost certainly been changed before so this change will make no difference. There may have been a historic formula from that date, I am surprised they could not find an older one, but according to their own website Mitchells did not sell soap until the 1930s. I have read that they did not sell shaving soap until as late as the 1970s - has anybody seen a vintage puck? I doubt very much they even make their own soap.
The 70s era for the shave soap makes sense. The font and design of the ceramic bowl the soap comes in looks very 70's

RIP Tallow MWF

View attachment 1659475

My favourite tallow based shaving soap, which was cheap and easy to find in the UK is now reformulated into a palm oil based formulation.
Thankfully I saw this I’ve been eyeing this soap but couldn’t justify the price of this in the US now I think I’ll just pass cause tallow was a selling point for me. On second hand I just tired deceleration grooming tallow blend soap and boy is that base a winner cheers ya’ll. 🍻

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Could you give me a couple of examples? I'm just curious since it must have happened before my time here. I never was interested in Speick and some feel that the new Tabac isn't that bad. Apparently Haslinger was able to pull it off. I haven't tried the three I just mentioned.
Well, to be fair, whether or not you personally are interested in Speick is moot. It's still the worse off for its reformulation. I'm happy for you that it wasn't a regular for you so you don't have the sorrow of losing a good soap.
Tabac may be an adequate shaving soap now, but it isn't Tabac. The scent changed, the ingredients changed, the color changed. It's a completely different soap. There is no more Tabac. There's a soap out there being called Tabac, but it has nothing in common with the Tabac that was beloved here. It lathers differently and it performs differently.
Haslinger was not without tribulations, some of their earlier versions were not well received, but they have worked on improving the product, to their credit.
Art of Shaving is another that was a great soap, and now is just another meh product in a huge field of meh products.
DR Harris and Czech & Speake went through an initial phase of reformulation that resulted in poor performance, but they did an about-face and corrected the problem.
As I said, it isn't the presence or lack of tallow - it's putting out a soap that has been reformulated and doesn't perform as well as the product it replaced.

Well, to be fair, whether or not you personally are interested in Speick is moot. It's still the worse off for its reformulation. I'm happy for you that it wasn't a regular for you so you don't have the sorrow of losing a good soap.
Tabac may be an adequate shaving soap now, but it isn't Tabac. The scent changed, the ingredients changed, the color changed. It's a completely different soap. There is no more Tabac. There's a soap out there being called Tabac, but it has nothing in common with the Tabac that was beloved here. It lathers differently and it performs differently.
Haslinger was not without tribulations, some of their earlier versions were not well received, but they have worked on improving the product, to their credit.
Art of Shaving is another that was a great soap, and now is just another meh product in a huge field of meh products.
DR Harris and Czech & Speake went through an initial phase of reformulation that resulted in poor performance, but they did an about-face and corrected the problem.
As I said, it isn't the presence or lack of tallow - it's putting out a soap that has been reformulated and doesn't perform as well as the product it replaced.

At least in my opinion too when Fine had to make the switch their new tubs are not as good as the pucks. But if I remember correctly they were forced to change as the maker of their soap base had closed down.

Thanks. I recall reading about the last three, but did not know they had problems. You're right in that I've got plenty of tallow free soaps that perform quite well. I don't like the smell of Tabac, so I personally won't miss it. MWF is just another soap to me.

At least in my opinion too when Fine had to make the switch their new tubs are not as good as the pucks. But if I remember correctly they were forced to change as the maker of their soap base had closed down.

I like my old Fine but was scared away by the transition.

Where do you get it cheaper? I’ve seen for about 15 usd, MWF refill is 10 or less
I just remember it being cheaper for me. Looking at my Amazon purchases the PdP in a tin was $12.99 while the MWF refill without a container was $12.05, but the PdP is larger. I bought the MWF refill because it was the cheapest I've seen at $12. Where have you found it for $10 or less?

I just remember it being cheaper for me. Looking at my Amazon purchases the PdP in a tin was $12.99 while the MWF refill without a container was $12.05, but the PdP is larger. I bought the MWF refill because it was the cheapest I've seen at $12. Where have you found it for $10 or less?

At connaught shaving. But you are right, it depends where you’re buying from. It’s very expensive for me to buy from Amazon or US stores (shipping)

Top Bottom