What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is no longer Tallow based

La Toja is several reformulations away from tallow at this point. The most recent reformulation removed more of the minerals and added sodium chloride (aka table salt).

Edit: if anyone knows where the tallow version can still be found at a reasonable price, I wouldn't mind knowing.
I've used the just previous iteration of La Toja, and even without tallow it was good.

The stick seems to be phased out and not just reformulated in favour of shaving creams only in their brand.

I've used the just previous iteration of La Toja, and even without tallow it was good.

The stick seems to be phased out and not just reformulated in favour of shaving creams only in their brand.
The other way round. The creams are no more and the stick remains, as of now. I got this from La Toja directly. However, my local brick and mortar is no longer able to get any of them, cream or stick, any longer.

Went rummaging through the linen closet after reading this thread and found that I had a sealed refill of MWF, not to mention the almost full puck in my Mitchell’s ceramic. (I even found 2 boxes of Williams and a puck of Haslinger Aloe I didn’t know I had.)
I love this soap, but I don’t use it as often as I would like. I don‘t really mind the fact that they changed the formula for whatever the reason. If it works… it works. If not, I’m happy I’ve been able to use the product when it was original and unchanged... and then move on.

The other way round. The creams are no more and the stick remains, as of now. I got this from La Toja directly. However, my local brick and mortar is no longer able to get any of them, cream or stick, any longer.
I stand corrected.

Either way, I think it is a good time as any to stock up on any mass produced soap/ cream that we absolutely love.

MWF? What MWF? This is a nightmare of Kafkaesque proportions. "M" is from the grotesque metamorphosis. What about the rest? You ask. Well..., it is no longer MWF but currently MLF. Mitchell's Less Fat.

Why do I get the impression that some people aspire to, but actually have never tried Mitchell’s Wool Fat (MWF)? :confused1
The way they bemoan the loss of tallow suggests that so far they have only tried Mitchell’s Cow Fat (MCF) or Mitchell’s Bovine Fat (MBF). :001_cool:
It’s the wool fat :ouch1:, guys, not the tallow!:wink2:

Besides, I have never been a fan of Kafka (had something to do with my literature teacher at that time being a singularly unpleasant individual) and I rather wait :cuppa: until the tallow-free MWF puck that I ordered has arrived and I have actually tried the new soap.

:straight:

B.

Last edited:
Tallow is fat. MWF never had mutton tallow just beef tallow & lanolin? There's soaps with actual mutton tallow and lanolin; Hags, Stirling electric Sheep etc. Seems like most shaving soaps have lanolin, all Stirling soaps do. In my mind if MWF didn't have mutton tallow it was already misleading.

Tallow is fat. MWF never had mutton tallow just beef tallow & lanolin? There's soaps with actual mutton tallow and lanolin; Hags, Stirling electric Sheep etc. Seems like most shaving soaps have lanolin, all Stirling soaps do. In my mind if MWF didn't have mutton tallow it was already misleading.
Was never under the impression MWF was made with mutton tallow. Don't believe it was ever advertised as so. Never heard anyone mention it till now.

^
Why do I get the impression that some people aspire to, but actually have never tried Mitchell’s Wool Fat (MWF)? :confused1
The way they bemoan the loss of tallow suggests that so far they have only tried Mitchell’s Cow Fat (MCF) or Mitchell’s Bovine Fat (MBF). :001_cool:

Besides, I have never been a fan of Kafka (had something to do with my literature teacher at that time being a singularly unpleasant individual) and I rather wait :cuppa: until the tallow-free MWF puck that I ordered has arrived and I have actually tried the new soap.

B.
Exactly right. Please report on the new soap. So many posts about how the tallow one was very difficult to lather. I had no trouble with it but will love to hear from those who try both.

Reactions: Kix

B.
This is true... The lanolin is very important, and it's yet to be seen how important the tallow was. But, it's no longer the traditional product we all knew and loved!
And, that's pretty important to me..
To me, being the operative words.

B.
It just might have something to do with the fact that some of us can remember when a lot of different non-artisan soaps had tallow bases.

I can't think of a single one that performed better without tallow. Some lathered easier, but ease of lathering isn't my benchmark for soap performance.

The correspondence received from Mitchells by @Mens Room Barber Shop contained the following text:

"The bath and hand soaps continue to use the same base, with the tallow base being the best for that purpose."

Unless I misunderstand, Mitchells will continue to use tallow in their bath soaps and hand soaps, it is only the shave soap where tallow has been removed. It seems unlikely to me then that the change is for ethical or regulatory reasons. Additionally, if it were a regulatory issue then no soap, by Mitchells or anyone else, would contain tallow. It seems more likely that whoever makes MWF shave soap can no longer obtain tallow based noodles at a suitable price point, in other words it is purely a cost decision.

Yes that's my take on it too, which is somewhat irritating.

We've come a long way from the idea that the customer is always right to where we are now where the customer will get what they're given and lump it :(

The reasoning that tallow was removed for a cheaper option is most likely true in my opinion. It's likely a few pennies in savings, I double checked Dollar Trees Yardley bar soap yesterday at 1.25 a bar it's first ingredient is Tallow lol. I also looked without success for the shave soap some have mentioned. I have had one puck go bad on me but it was likely my fault for not drying it after use. I think I will fill a mylar bag and add oxygen absorbers prior to sealing it as a backup in our supply pantry. If anything maybe future prices will skyrocket like those of Williams on fleabay lol.

I made tallow awhile back from fat trimmed off a brisket. The small pieces of meat turned to cracklings beef pork rinds other words. Cold beer and fresh fried meat is my new version of a fun Friday night lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penny wise, and pound foolish.

If the new formula sucks, sales will crash, and they'll go back to the old formula.

Chances are, the new formula will be just good enough to keep them going with it. Those who care, will stockpile the old formula, and fat bonuses will be paid out at Christmas. This will be a record breaking year for them in soap sales. The next 10 years will tell the full story. For myself, I've probably made my last MWF purchase of my lifetime. I will seek alternatives when my stockpile is exhausted.

Unless of course, the new stuff is good. The initial reports haven't given me much hope of that, but time will tell.

There are many artisans making soft shave soaps with tallow. But I prefer the hard tallow shave soaps. I only know of one artisan that makes a hard tallow shaving soap. The massed produced hard shave soaps cost about a third or half of the artisan soft shave soaps. I'm stocking up on the hard tallow shave soaps now as I don't see them available in the near or distant future.

There are many artisans making soft shave soaps with tallow. But I prefer the hard tallow shave soaps. I only know of one artisan that makes a hard tallow shaving soap. The massed produced hard shave soaps cost about a third or half of the artisan soft shave soaps. I'm stocking up on the hard tallow shave soaps now as I don't see them available in the near or distant future.
Which ones are hard tallow shave soaps?

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom