What's new

mitchell's wool fat new formula

So recently I got informed that Mitchell's have changed their formula to a new base (glycerine I guess) and I was wondering what happens to the old school mutton based formula? did they just scrap it?! or do they still provide it as a non-vegan option alongside the new formula?

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
There is no beef tallow in Mitchell’s Wool Fat any more. Only the one vegan soap. I don’t know what changes they have made to the vegan formula but I’ve seen some reviewers saying they think it has improved and behaves more like the discontinued tallow soap. I haven’t tried it so I don’t know.

MWF doesn't have tallow any more. It still has lanolin, though. The only way to get the older version is to buy new old stock somewhere.

Remember, Kent shaving soap is rebranded MWF, so you might find some older pucks of Kent.

So recently I got informed that Mitchell's have changed their formula to a new base (glycerine I guess) and I was wondering what happens to the old school mutton based formula? did they just scrap it?! or do they still provide it as a non-vegan option alongside the new formula?
It was never "mutton based". The "wool fat" in the name refers to the lanolin. The tallow was beef tallow before they went tallow free.

MWF doesn't have tallow any more. It still has lanolin, though. The only way to get the older version is to buy new old stock somewhere.

Remember, Kent shaving soap is rebranded MWF, so you might find some older pucks of Kent.
wow I didn't know that! thanks for the heads up:thumbup:

It was never "mutton based". The "wool fat" in the name refers to the lanolin. The tallow was beef tallow before they went tallow free.
You are right on that part, since it was always branded as the "sheep soap" of the market I always thought that it'd be more convenient if they used mutton

I have a lifetime supply of the old tallow MFW so I'm set (I'm old, so "lifetime supply" isn't as much as it sounds - haha) I tested the first non-tallow version and it was much better than I expected but I didn't like it nearly as much as the tallow version. But several people tested it and many liked it just as much and some liked it better. I have never tested the current version - but I understand it has changed again since the first non-tallow formula I tested and didn't like.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Haslinger went from tallow, to vegV1 then vegV2 in just a couple years.
Never heard of a second veg formula. Any significant differences?
The first was quite good and I would like to know which this is:
1720838355553.png

Aloe

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think the v2 is better than the v1
That's encouraging. Back when they dropped tallow I tried one and was very impressed, must have been 2018, and I really couldn't tell the difference. I do still have several tallowate versions in the vault.

Like I really need any more soap, I'll begin talking myself out of buying that new aloe vera now.
I kinda wanted to try the second veg version of Tabac as well. :001_unsur

I think the first variety of the v2 soap was the Sensitive (unscented). That worked out well, so then they started using a similar formula for the others.

The Sensitive is a nice soap if you want something fragrance free. Or you can mix it with another soap to tone down a fragrance that's too strong.

Never heard of a second veg formula. Any significant differences?
The first was quite good and I would like to know which this is:
View attachment 1877041
Aloe
Any Haslinger soap bought recently would be the v2 veg, as the v1, like MWF v1veg, was so short lived...or thus I speculate.

Haslinger has, perhaps, had the single most successful transition from tallow to non of any soap often mentioned here. Most consider the veg every bit as good. Very few soaps transition this well, but it can be done.

Top Bottom