What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Love

Fred Mitchell the enterprising pharmacist in Bradford England recognised the effects of daily shaving and its effect on the skin. I know a bit of Fred's family, since they attended the same church as I did, and I have done some research into Fred's, life since I live close to Bradford.

Evidently, Fred noticed in the early part of the 20th century that wool sorters, working in many of Bradford's woollen mills had such lovely skin and hands whilst working day after day in rough and manually intensive arduous conditions . He discovered and concluded it was due to contact with the lanolin in the sheep fleeces on their skin and their hands. Hence, he marketed a range of lanolin based hand soap products including the famous MWF shaving soap. (The products can be purchased from the company's website direct from Bradford, note there's no online ordering, but orders can be placed either by telephone or mail)

If that's what lanolin can do for for the hands just think of what it can do for your face

I love MWF and even with hard water and hot water have never had a bad lather.

I will note I soaked the puck in the croc for 24 hours and it is now swelled to fill the entire croc. Maybe that is the key.

I used MWF this morning, and I have to agree that it performs as well as anything else I've tried. (Scent is a matter of personal taste, but I find MWF pleasant if uninspiring). What confuses me is that when I had a puck of it years ago, I struggled to consistently develop anything but thin, runny lathers. With the current puck it lathers more quickly than most of my other soaps. While it could be the water, I'm wondering if it could be inconsistencies in the pucks. Lots of folks say it's tough to lather and lots of folks say otherwise. Is there any chance that it's the soap and not the water, brush, shaver etc.?

I used MWF this morning, and I have to agree that it performs as well as anything else I've tried. (Scent is a matter of personal taste, but I find MWF pleasant if uninspiring). What confuses me is that when I had a puck of it years ago, I struggled to consistently develop anything but thin, runny lathers. With the current puck it lathers more quickly than most of my other soaps. While it could be the water, I'm wondering if it could be inconsistencies in the pucks. Lots of folks say it's tough to lather and lots of folks say otherwise. Is there any chance that it's the soap and not the water, brush, shaver etc.?
I wonder this as well. I don't have the packaging for mine anymore, but I am curious as to whether or not there are batch numbers that could be used to to compare poor lathering pucks to good lathering pucks.

The 2 laws of shaving dynamics:

1) Everything works.
2) Technique trumps everything.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I recently used it two weeks straight: when the puck has the right hydration level, it's just a superlative soap.

Being, well, unscented, I learned something interesting: I don't get bored of an unscented soap ... super protective, super slick; has made (scary) Techmatic shaves with (dodgy) 50-year old blades a smooth, boring damage-free routine.

AA

I recently used it two weeks straight: when the puck has the right hydration level, it's just a superlative soap.

Being, well, unscented, I learned something interesting: I don't get bored of an unscented soap ... super protective, super slick; has made (scary) Techmatic shaves with (dodgy) 50-year old blades a smooth, boring damage-free routine.

AA
I'm glad you like the"Fat" Someday I will take it for a spin.

Top Bottom