What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Love

I used to have a terrible time using MWF, then I got my first synthetic brush. I’ve since found I get a perfect lather every time. If I try and use a badger brush with the fat I end up with very different results which usually give a very rough shave.

I haven't bought one cause the scent is something special. No matter how good the performance is if the scent ain't there I ain't getting it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I haven't bought one cause the scent is something special. No matter how good the performance is if the scent ain't there I ain't getting it.

True. But even the best scents get old after a while ... You never get tired of "lack-of-scent" ... I used MWF for weeks, and never became bored with it.

AA :chinese: more Zen

Well, I gave it a strong go, but in the end, I just couldn't bring myself to love MWF.
Lather was just way to finicky and inconsistent from day-to-day.

With all the other new artisan soaps that are so easy, quick and consistent to load, I had to throw in the towel on MWF :(

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It seems it just needs to be used exclusively, to be perfectly hydrated, and that's hard to do - there are many x many good soaps.

AA

I use mine only once per week, because, exactly as you said, there are so many good soaps available now.

I got some advice on another forum which may be a key to why it performs so well for me. When the puck is new / dry, add distilled water to the ceramic container and leave it sit until the puck absorbs the water and has expanded to fill the container. If you need to add more water / wait longer, do so. After that, use at least once per week and you're golden. I know, YMMV. But I did this and have never had a problem. But, I"ve also had problems and been unimpressed with other soaps and products others rave about.

C

I use mine only once per week, because, exactly as you said, there are so many good soaps available now.

I got some advice on another forum which may be a key to why it performs so well for me. When the puck is new / dry, add distilled water to the ceramic container and leave it sit until the puck absorbs the water and has expanded to fill the container. If you need to add more water / wait longer, do so. After that, use at least once per week and you're golden. I know, YMMV. But I did this and have never had a problem. But, I"ve also had problems and been unimpressed with other soaps and products others rave about.

C
Great opinion.

I will echo what MaxG has said regarding hydrating your MWF puck.

I too added some water to the soap when I first got it and let it swell. It fits the ceramic dish almost perfectly now.

If I have not used MWF for a little while, and I plan on shaving with it the following day, I will sprinkle some water over the surface of the puck.

By the morning, the soap has absorbed the water and is ready to produce an excellent lather once loaded onto a good quality brush for up to 45 seconds.

I have been using this method to great effect, but as always YMMV.

Top Bottom