What's new

mitchells wool fat first use

hi after reading a lot about mwf i thought i would give it a try so here is what i think .
tools of the trade =

cold water shave
rockwell 6s on #4
simoge (?) exelsior boar
and the mwf.

now after reading how some find it hard to get a good lather i thought i would just go at it and see.
Well took about 20 seconds to get enough to face lather and what a fine lather it was ( it must like my water ).
gave me plenty of protection and nice and slick .
passes = 1x with the grain 1x across the grain and 1x against the grain .
final thoughts a nice soap that does a good job the only downside was it reminded me of the sheep pens when i worked on the farm with the smell of sheep wool . but that is to be expected being made from wool fat .

score 9/10

My first lather with MWF was great, then I spent the rest of the month chasing that good lather...unsuccessfully. Put it away until this year and am having better luck. I've found the best method to be using the puck like a shave stick and applying the soap to my face that way, then face lathering.

I don't smell sheep though.

hi after reading a lot about mwf i thought i would give it a try so here is what i think .
tools of the trade =

cold water shave
rockwell 6s on #4
simoge (?) exelsior boar
and the mwf.

now after reading how some find it hard to get a good lather i thought i would just go at it and see.
Well took about 20 seconds to get enough to face lather and what a fine lather it was ( it must like my water ).
gave me plenty of protection and nice and slick .
passes = 1x with the grain 1x across the grain and 1x against the grain .
final thoughts a nice soap that does a good job the only downside was it reminded me of the sheep pens when i worked on the farm with the smell of sheep wool . but that is to be expected being made from wool fat .

score 9/10

Good man! The Fat is a terrific soap for me also!! :a29:

I just shaved with MWF again this morning and it’s such a great soap that I feel bad for those whose water is incompatible. I love everything about it—thick, slippery, and a clean, mild soapy scent.

I actually used a synthetic brush for the first time with it (Simpson T2) just to see if there was a difference between a synth and a badger. There was no difference in the quality of the lather or the ease.

this is one of those soaps on my if-you-could-only-use-one-soap-forever list.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Yesterday, I shaved with MWF for the very first time & though I trend towards heavier scented soaps, like the soap itself, MWF’s understated clean scent is excellent.

Lathering was rather straightforward & this, with hard water. I followed this MWF guide to the letter & in very short time, the soap really came to life:

I had a beautiful shave today with MWF, Yaqi two band badger, Rockwell 6S w/Polsilver.

Full on BBS with a glass finish!

I love the closeness and post shave I get only with MWF...and the scent is just wonderful!!

I spent several months in 2020 chasing a good lather with The Fat. I finally used that puck up about 6 months after starting on it. I then tried a second puck and it was a world of difference. The second puck made more rich creamy lather than I could use. I’m about five months in on the second puck and still have over half of it remaining. Am I happy with The Fat. You get I am. So happy, I bought two more pucks on sale at the Italian Barber last month. I figure I’ve got 2 1/2 years of soap in those three pucks.

Reactions: nav
Does it smell like the body soap? I frankly hate it, smells like ghee. Would rather Arko over that anyday of the week, regardless of performance.

I rise to speak in praise of Mitchell's Wool Fat.

I bought some over a year ago, and it languished in my shave cabinet, because I feared it would smell of mutton. I am all for mutton in context, but that context is crisp Beijing ribs, or spicy Pakistani curry.

It did not smell of mutton. But when I tried to shave with it, three months ago, I got a tepid lather, and I put it away until I read a thread here that told me I should be hydrating the shrunken puck until it filled out to the sides. I added water and waited three days. Not quite to the sides, but maybe close enough? No. It still sucked. The process takes 5 full days. At least.

Now the puck reaches the sides, and it produces a wonderful lather. Not a YouTube face-obscuring lather. If you're after that, seek elsewhere, or maybe work the puck more than I did. But a perfect straight razor lather. Very slick, with none of that "I'm shaving with Astroglide" feel you get sometimes. I'm a fan.

I rise to speak in praise of Mitchell's Wool Fat.

I bought some over a year ago, and it languished in my shave cabinet, because I feared it would smell of mutton. I am all for mutton in context, but that context is crisp Beijing ribs, or spicy Pakistani curry.

It did not smell of mutton. But when I tried to shave with it, three months ago, I got a tepid lather, and I put it away until I read a thread here that told me I should be hydrating the shrunken puck until it filled out to the sides. I added water and waited three days. Not quite to the sides, but maybe close enough? No. It still sucked. The process takes 5 full days. At least.

Now the puck reaches the sides, and it produces a wonderful lather. Not a YouTube face-obscuring lather. If you're after that, seek elsewhere, or maybe work the puck more than I did. But a perfect straight razor lather. Very slick, with none of that "I'm shaving with Astroglide" feel you get sometimes. I'm a fan.

Great news. Don’t forget to feed it a little water once a week of you use another soap for a while. A little water will keep it hydrated for when you’re ready to return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have been pleased with MWF. I put off buying MWF because I was working on finishing existing stock. I bought it late last year and have been using it almost exclusively since January. I expected it to be troublesome due to the reports here and elsewhere, but I’ve had a good experience as well. Since I use it daily I took time to try suggestions found in various posts. I think as you continue to use MWF or any soap you find what works and what doesn’t. For me,
- I stopped putting water on soap after the first few times. I found it unnecessary.
- I easily and quickly get slick, creamy lather using synthetic brushes (plisson, EJ STF). Really top notch. I get good lather using badger (Simpson Colonel) and only usable lather using boar. My large Omega 49 is great with other soaps but I don’t get good results with boar and MWF.
- I don’t fuss with water temp, blooming soap, slowly building lather or holding soap upside down loading brush. I do load brush (15 secs?) and add drips of water 1 to 3 times while face lather until perfect
- I really like the scent and I’m not a scent guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldSaw

The wife's investment
OK, so Ive tried about 23,597 different shave soaps, completely finished well over 15,000 pucks, and still have about 30,000-40,000 unused pucks just lying about (it’s not easy finding storage for that many shave soaps). After all that, MWF and Tabac are my top two soaps.

Alright, I may have exaggerated slightly on my shave soap usage, but one thing I know for certain, before I was thirty I had eaten over 10,000 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and then I stopped counting (actually a coworker was counting and let me know when I was approaching 10,000. I had no idea he was keeping score).

I really miss MWF...sadly, my face has developed a lanolin sensitivity. But I loved the stuff so much back in the day that I invested in the ceramic bowl. My SOC Boar + MWF was by most reliable go-to combo...great, reliable lather. Just have to load a bunch.

My first lather with MWF was great, then I spent the rest of the month chasing that good lather...unsuccessfully. Put it away until this year and am having better luck. I've found the best method to be using the puck like a shave stick and applying the soap to my face that way, then face lathering.

I don't smell sheep though.
Yes! I did that so much I made it official and now it is in stick form.

, before I was thirty I had eaten over 10,000 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and then I stopped counting (actually a coworker was counting and let me know when I was approaching 10,000. I had no idea he was keeping score).

he wasnt keeping score ..
he was keeping book on how long it would be before you had a cardiac event .

Top Bottom