What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat Fans: Is there a shaving soap that is equal or better?

Hello Everybody,

I am a long time user of Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap.
I think it works really well, I really like the after shave feel that it leaves, and I also like the virtual lack of scent.
The price is also very reasonable especially considering how long a puck can last.
Oh, and it's not made of Unobtainium i.e. it's fairly easy to find from internet vendors who sell other shaving goods - this helps with the product cost to shipping cost ratio.

I am now looking for alternatives that can match the above criteria or better.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
@Cesare nailed it with Haslinger Schafmilch....others spring to mind, but they are either more costly (e.g., SV), have a more defined scent (e.g., Tabac), or are just unobtanium (e.g., Valobra). Interesting thread, I'll definitely be following to see if there's something I'm missing.

Where do you live? If you live in the States, there are many different soaps that will surpass MWF in performance. However, most of them will be more expensive than a refill puck of MWF.

Personally, I emphasize performance over value, but if you are on a budget, MWF is a reasonable choice. I do not use it because I have so many soaps in rotation that it dries out between uses and becomes difficult to lather. If you use it very day or two, it will lather more easily.

MWF and Tabac are the only two traditional soaps that I have used that I recommend.

Where do you live? If you live in the States, there are many different soaps that will surpass MWF in performance. However, most of them will be more expensive than a refill puck of MWF.

Personally, I emphasize performance over value, but if you are on a budget, MWF is a reasonable choice. I do not use it because I have so many soaps in rotation that it dries out between uses and becomes difficult to lather. If you use it very day or two, it will lather more easily.

MWF and Tabac are the only two traditional soaps that I have used that I recommend.
Thanks RayClem, I have tried Tabac, but the scent is just too much for me. I am in South Africa, and I usually get my MWF/Kent from the UK, either in person or via family bringing it over.
Since my supply of MWF will probably run out before anybody travels to/from the UK, I will be replenishing my stock by buying online.
If I am going to buy from the USA, then I may as well broaden my horizons a bit and try something else that works as well as MWF or better.
Just not the $50 per puck soap - unless it lasts 3x longer.

If you live in the States, there are many different soaps that will surpass MWF in performance
What soaps might those be? There is no harm in checking them out if they are available online.

There is this thread about soaps from South Africa that could give you some ideas:

Reactions: GNR
There is this thread about soaps from South Africa that could give you some ideas:

Thanks for that. There are a few there that I haven't heard of before.

I'm from - and live in - Brazil.

I use Connaught for MWF.

Gifts and Care for Haslinger and other soaps. They carry some of the soaps that @RayClem ranks as "top tier".

For me, the problem with artisans is getting them here and the "scent roulette". Especially the "scent roulette". I've also had 2 sample purchases lost in customs. But I really can't "picture" what 99% of the descriptions are. Go to the artisans and things get even worse.

Shavedash has a large selection of samples. Great service. Since we're at it, I'd try Savonniere du Moulin (I'm really curious about it). It seems to me that this soap is along the lines of MWF.

PS. We're about the same distance from soap producers, but you beat me hands down for wine!!! You've got the goods on your backyard!

I'm from - and live in - Brazil.

I use Connaught for MWF.

Gifts and Care for Haslinger and other soaps. They carry some of the soaps that @RayClem ranks as "top tier".

For me, the problem with artisans is getting them here and the "scent roulette". Especially the "scent roulette". I've also had 2 sample purchases lost in customs. But I really can't "picture" what 99% of the descriptions are. Go to the artisans and things get even worse.

Shavedash has a large selection of samples. Great service. Since we're at it, I'd try Savonniere du Moulin (I'm really curious about it). It seems to me that this soap is along the lines of MWF.

PS. We're about the same distance from soap producers, but you beat me hands down for wine!!! You've got the goods on your backyard!
Good call on the South African wines, some excellent wines at good prices. I have to go shopping tomorrow. Dang it @Cesare!

Haslinger is twice as expensive...
If you buy Haslinger in Europe, it's about the same cost as MWF per gram. The problem is we get price gouged on this side of the Atlantic.

Cyril R Salter Solid shaving soap is under 4 euros for 70g from Connaught. Light, inoffensive barbershop scent. Excellent performance with a tallow base soap. Similar to some of the older English soaps.

Haslinger is around 4.50 euros for 60g. The Haslinger Sensitive variety is very close to unscented. Schafmilch is fairly similar to MWF, though easier to lather.

Klar Seifen refills are about 17 euros for 110g. They have mild scents, such as Almond. Expensive, yes, but not too unreasonable for a very good quality milled soap that will last at least as long as MWF.

Goldachs or Dr. Dittmar shaving soaps have great performance with a light citrus/lavender type scent.

Last edited:
Good call on the South African wines, some excellent wines at good prices. I have to go shopping tomorrow. Dang it @Cesare!
Tim , @GNR , as long as it's wine and not another Paladin brush, I'm fine with that!! Damn, those halloween special editions!!!

PS. Get the Dancing Skeleton AND some South African wine to go with it! And POST pictures!!!

• Haha
Reactions: GNR
Top Bottom