What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat advice

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Felt like going back to the Fat, so soaked it for a couple days in a ramekin.

Flipped it over when I went in there.

The dish was so slippery I almost dropped it!

Took a little longer than I remembered to whip it, but the lather was ridiculously good...

AA

First shave yesterday night with MWF.
I tried to follow my standard routine, so as to have as less variable altered -I used EJDE89, Astra SP, F.A Stout brush (the setup I am using most of the times). At this point I should state that I am new to wet shaving, almost 2 weeks, have had about 10 shaves.

Showered, dipped MWF and Stout in warm water for around 5 minutes.
Then load it with the intention to do it there is no tomorrow. Well, it seems that is was not needed. After around maybe 10 swirls on the soap it looked like it had picked up a decent amount so I proceeded with face lathering.
Holy smokes!! It has a fantastic, very soft and creamy feel. Done 3 (WTG/XTG/AGT) passes and the leftovers where enough to shave for at least another 3.
After seeing a few videos I understood that the lather was kind of thick so will add water in next trial latherings to see what better I can achieve.

To cut a long story short, best shave ever. Not prefect yet (had some nicks/cuts when AGT- so I may need to use some different blades) but almost non existent ''burning'' and red spots.
I dunno if it was due to MWF or that my technique is getting better but it worked like a charm. What took me by surprise is the ''cleanness'' it felt afterwards.

Super happy with the product, I will leave Haslinger and C.R.Salter cream at side for now and focus on MWF to get a better understanding of it.

Thank you all for the advice!

P.S. Next time I will try to remember to take some pics.

‘Holy smokes!!’ Yes indeed, when you get the Fat working, it just works!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

It is a very light lavender based scent and goes away quickly. If you keep the soap out in open it will dissipate even faster. Lanolin works wonderfully during winter months for me. If you do not have allergy from lanolin I do recommend MWF.

Nothing regarding the conversation but your profile pic and name is just hilarious😂

I have acute contact dermatitis. Face gets bumpy and ears go ablaze. My allergist said theres not test for it. I just have to avoid what triggers it, which is most scents. Anything with the word fragrance or Parfum means no for me. I'm not sure if you and I talked about this. I cant use MWF, not sure why.

Stirling unscented with beeswax is great. Light citrus smell that fades quickly. Soap commander integrity is fantastic too.
use PH balanced glycerin soap

Mitchell's is a wonderful soap, particularly in winter. What I do is grate a new soap puck with a microplane and press it into an old tub. Only takes a few minutes with a new puck and makes loading from that point forward an absolute breeze.

I suffer from allergies, especially to Macca root and Cella in the red tub. Which is sad because I love the lather and scent of Cella. The new Cella bio cream is very skin friendly, and I have nothing but good things to say about M.W.F. A wonderful soap. IMHO.

Oh dear, I don't know how I missed this post, reading through the whole thread I'm amazed how you all fail to get the best out of this wonderful soap. By all making that one tiny mistake, if you buy the puck and bowl please please soak the soap.

To allow it to expand in the bowl and trust me it will fit the bowl, I do the same it takes around a week but please don't grate it into the bowl. The idea to soak it is to open the soap up and that's when the magic happens, Its like a good wine you have to let it breathe to get the full impact. Do use distilled water to soak it, now if you all try this and then I bet you never say that you don't need to soak it..

Yes I live about 30 min drive from where the fat is made in Bradford UK & I live in Lincoln UK....

I don't have any involvement with the makers, Just a user of the product. The last time I went to the shop to buy my soaps I asked the question and was told by an old gentleman and I have used that method ever since.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
.... please please soak the soap.To allow it to expand in the bowl and trust me it will fit the bowl, I do the same it takes around a week

You're not actually soaking the puck for an entire week, are you?

Normally I just use it daily, it will take on water and expand. Of course it will shrink and sometimes crack if you let it dry out again.

Normally I just use it daily, it will take on water and expand. Of course it will shrink and sometimes crack if you let it dry out again.

The puck I started about a month ago took about two days to expand and fill the bowl. Then, do as you say and it will stay hydrated and continue to fill the bowl.

Yes I put about 3mm of water in the dish then place soap on the top, you don't fill the bowl to the top with water then about 2 days in do the same for the other side.

If done right the puck will expand to the bowl, that's why people say its a thirsty soap as they have not soaked the puck to fit the bowl.

And they lose the benefit of the soap as its not been hydrated...

But...but I have never soaked mwf and it just get down to business from the word go. Sometime it develops pretty deep cracks and all it takes a pre soak of about 3-4 mins to get going. That said I do have very soft water.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am in searching for good soap for mug, which can be used daily and not too expensive. I have psoriasis, so, 1) the soap should be unscented or at least with not too strong scent and 2) not to dry my skin. For comparison Arko, Derby are worst, but Williams mug soap and Palmolive stick are fine. Unfortunately Williams is hard to get in EU, and shipping prices are horrible.
I read some reviews about MWF, and sounds good to me. Since I live in Bulgaria, the only way to try this soap is to order via internet, but I want to know your opinions before that :) I haven`t used anything which contains Lanolin, so, I exclude for now allergic reaction.

I am not picky about scents, just they should be light. Strong aroma is trigger for my skin.

Thanks in advance !
I have sensitive skin and MWF is very easy on the skin and very mildly perfumed, however I’ve never had a better soap or cream better than Kapo. You are lucky to be in its country of origin!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great soap!

It can require a few tries depending on your water. Once you figure the water/soap ratio, it’s one of the best!

I've been 3017'ing a puck of MWF with awesome results. The puck was new when I started. I have very hard water. I did experience the vanishing lather a few times when using a larger or denser brush. This was quickly solved by loading more. The best way to use MWF, is using it eveyday. It is a very hard soap at first. After a few uses, it soaked up the water. I never soaked it, although I could see it being beneficial. I never had the puck dry and crack as I used it everyday. I'm getting close to the end.

20200109_144307.jpg

I second the concept of soaking the fat to make it fill the bowl. Once you do this the soap is nice and soft and you can load it with only a few dozen turns of the brush, and it’ll build a great lather.

If I don’t use it for a while I still feed it some water once week to keep it hydrated for when I want to use it—that’s enough with the lid on the bowl to keep it moist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom