What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat advice

I am in searching for good soap for mug, which can be used daily and not too expensive. I have psoriasis, so, 1) the soap should be unscented or at least with not too strong scent and 2) not to dry my skin. For comparison Arko, Derby are worst, but Williams mug soap and Palmolive stick are fine. Unfortunately Williams is hard to get in EU, and shipping prices are horrible.
I read some reviews about MWF, and sounds good to me. Since I live in Bulgaria, the only way to try this soap is to order via internet, but I want to know your opinions before that :) I haven`t used anything which contains Lanolin, so, I exclude for now allergic reaction.

I am not picky about scents, just they should be light. Strong aroma is trigger for my skin.

Thanks in advance !

MWF is a fantastic soap - I have always found it to be easy to lather, very protective and with great post-shave properties. Obviously the question regarding lanolin is going to be still open, but I will always recommend Mitchell's. If you are going to order the soap, it may make sense to order some more Palmolive sticks at the same time to cut down on shipping costs.

I am in searching for good soap for mug, which can be used daily and not too expensive. I have psoriasis, so, 1) the soap should be unscented or at least with not too strong scent and 2) not to dry my skin. For comparison Arko, Derby are worst, but Williams mug soap and Palmolive stick are fine. Unfortunately Williams is hard to get in EU, and shipping prices are horrible.
I read some reviews about MWF, and sounds good to me. Since I live in Bulgaria, the only way to try this soap is to order via internet, but I want to know your opinions before that :) I haven`t used anything which contains Lanolin, so, I exclude for now allergic reaction.

I am not picky about scents, just they should be light. Strong aroma is trigger for my skin.

Thanks in advance !

Have you thought about ordering a sample from Shave Dash? They are UK based and do samples of MWF and should ship to Bulgaria.

Aside from MWF I'd recommend ordering a sample of Vitos Green, which has a mild almond scent but it's scent seems to dissipate fairly easily/quickly. Very cheap as well, can be purchased in the UK at least for £11 for a kilo of soap which will last anyone a very long time for daily use!

Back to MWF it seems to be a soap that divides, I've found with a synth it's as easy as any soap to build a good lather with.

It is a very light lavender based scent and goes away quickly. If you keep the soap out in open it will dissipate even faster. Lanolin works wonderfully during winter months for me. If you do not have allergy from lanolin I do recommend MWF.

It is a very light lavender based scent and goes away quickly. If you keep the soap out in open it will dissipate even faster. Lanolin works wonderfully during winter months for me. If you do not have allergy from lanolin I do recommend MWF.

Thanks ! I do not know if I have allergy from lanolin, seems very specific ingredient which I can`t find in any of my current soaps/creams.

Have you thought about ordering a sample from Shave Dash? They are UK based and do samples of MWF and should ship to Bulgaria.

I will check the site, and will look for unscented soaps too, if they have. I suppose Stirling unscented soaps are good alternative too, but I have not experience with them..

If you are somewhat prone to allergic reaction it might be worth considering De Vergulde Hand. It is a Dutch soap that is completely hypoallergenic and receives good reviews from most that have used it.

Thanks ! I do not know if I have allergy from lanolin, seems very specific ingredient which I can`t find in any of my current soaps/creams.

I will check the site, and will look for unscented soaps too, if they have. I suppose Stirling unscented soaps are good alternative too, but I have not experience with them..

I think the Stirling soaps also contain Lanolin. Some of the Lea ones contain it as well. The Lea shaving stick is an excellent one, I recommend the tallow variant highly which is out of production but a few places still stock the Vie Long stick which is the same soap as Lea but with different packaging.

Are you able to get Nivea cream in Bulgaria? The standard one that comes in the blue tub? That contains lanolin.

I have very sensitive skin as well and have a lot of issues with reacting unfavourably with a lot of soaps but I've had no problems ever with Lanolin. My problems seem to arise with soaps with stronger scents more than not but with soaps & sensitive skin YMMV as ever.

It's my favorite soap. It has a very light scent and it is very slick. Some people seem to have trouble creating lather with it, but I never had any problems in various locations. Haslinger soaps are another good option.

MWF is excellent!! Totally excellent!! :a14: :a14:

You might also consider Haslinger‘s. These are made in Austria and have very mild scents.

I think the Stirling soaps also contain Lanolin. Some of the Lea ones contain it as well. The Lea shaving stick is an excellent one, I recommend the tallow variant highly which is out of production but a few places still stock the Vie Long stick which is the same soap as Lea but with different packaging.

Are you able to get Nivea cream in Bulgaria? The standard one that comes in the blue tub? That contains lanolin.

There is a unscented soap from Stirling, which contain beeswax instead lanolin.
Yep, I can get Nivea cream here (Protect & Care and Sensitive version), even sensitive is on sale this week for $2 per tube.

Nivea Protect and Care
contains :
Aqua, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil, Parfum, Dimethicone, Maris Sal, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Cetearyl Alcohol, Myristic Acid, Arachidic Acid, Oleic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Limonene, Linalool

Nivea Sensitive contains :
Aqua, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil, Parfum, Dimethicone, Maris Sal, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf Extract, Maltodextrin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride

There is no Lanolin in both of them

There is a unscented soap from Stirling, which contain beeswax instead lanolin.
Yep, I can get Nivea cream here (Protect & Care and Sensitive version), even sensitive is on sale this week for $2 per tube.
Nivea Protect and Care contains :
Aqua, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil, Parfum, Dimethicone, Maris Sal, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Cetearyl Alcohol, Myristic Acid, Arachidic Acid, Oleic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Limonene, Linalool

Nivea Sensitive contains :
Aqua, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil, Parfum, Dimethicone, Maris Sal, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf Extract, Maltodextrin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride

There is no Lanolin in both of them

I meant the standard Nivea face cream in a blue pot, not the Nivea shaving cream! It contains lanolin and a lot of people seem to use it so it's worth trying it if you come across it.

proxy.php

The Nivea Sensitive Shaving cream really made my face burn, that and Palmolive Sensitive are some of the only creams I seem to react unfavourably with.

MWF meets all your requirements. I shaved with nothing but MWF for a month and I couldn't believe how soft and girly my skin became. I washed my face with the remaining lather. Brilliant stuff.

You can get MWF refill puck really cheap from Connaught. 7-8 bucks, something like that.

Haslinger soaps (except Shafmilch) should work. I believe the only one that contains lanolin is Shafmilch.

I meant the standard Nivea face cream in a blue pot, not the Nivea shaving cream! It contains lanolin and a lot of people seem to use it so it's worth trying it if you come across it.

proxy.php

The Nivea Sensitive Shaving cream really made my face burn, that and Palmolive Sensitive are some of the only creams I seem to react unfavourably with.

Ops, sorry for misunderstanding !
I also get face burn from Palmolive cream (palm extract), and Nivea Sensitive.

Thanks to all I will look to order a puck of MWF :)

I've got several pucks of Williams, a stick of Palmolive and a stick of Lea. While Williams will work the same as a stick, I prefer the puck. I grated equal parts of Williams puck and the Lea stick, mixed with just a few drops of water, then pressed into a tin. It is a nice change to using either product by itself, and lathers great.
Once I'm finished with the current blend, I'll grate some Palmolive stick to blend with the Williams to see how it compares.

Hi all!

I am looking for a different kind of advise in regards to MWF.
I just received my first ever one (edition with MWF jar) and I have read that to get the best out of it it needs around 24 hours to be dipped in ionized water-so that it will moisturize, expand and practically occupy all space of the jar.

Anyone done that with successful results or it puts the soap in some kind of ''danger'' to dissolve?

Hi all!

I just received my first ever one (edition with MWF jar) and I have read that to get the best out of it it needs around 24 hours to be dipped in ionized water-so that it will moisturize, expand and practically occupy all space of the jar.

Anyone done that with successful results or it puts the soap in some kind of ''danger'' to dissolve?

IME it will ruin the soap.

Use it as you would any hard puck. Load heavy to a thick paste and give it a lot of water after. That's all.

Hi all!

No need to do that. It will expand and lather more easily with regular and frequent use. Just load for a longer time for the first few uses because it is a very hard soap. You could always add a bit of water while loading it to help the brush pick more soap up.

Thank you both for the input!

@Sotiris_A is it harder than Haslinger Schafmilch (if you have tried it) ?
Because I have not encountered problems with HS (at least with my very limited experience- I am just 2 weeks in wet shaving) and I can get a nice lather from HS soap in the same amount of time I do with Cyril Salter cream (but prefer to face lather the HS, instead Cyril seems easier to bowl lather).

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

I have acute contact dermatitis. Face gets bumpy and ears go ablaze. My allergist said theres not test for it. I just have to avoid what triggers it, which is most scents. Anything with the word fragrance or Parfum means no for me. I'm not sure if you and I talked about this. I cant use MWF, not sure why.

Stirling unscented with beeswax is great. Light citrus smell that fades quickly. Soap commander integrity is fantastic too.

Top Bottom