What's new

Mitchell’s Wool Fat – A Recap

MWF has gotten an inaccurate reputation IMO.

. . . SNIP . . .
This was the fifth soap I ever purchased when starting wet shaving a decade ago. I didn't know about the reputation and used it like any other soap and it worked brilliantly.

A decade later, it's still my #1 shaving soap after having used over 200 and a current rotation of 120.

I am happy that it works for you. I was reporting my own experience.
Like a number of others it either didn't work for me or required too much effort. To quote myself:
"The whole point of my post was to address the futility of using soaps (MWF and others) that, for at least the person involved, takes too much time and effort. It's not worth it when there are so many soaps that are not, as one poster put it, a "Prima Donna".
If Mitchell's works for you (either shaving or in the bath) then use it and enjoy it. If it does NOT WORK, then ditch it and move on, as I did."

I am the lucky person who received cmbcne's soap. Even better, I had a chance to meet him and view his drool-worthy collection. Excellent visit, super guy.

Hi, Noodles. Really happy it's working for you, and thanks for the kind words.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Like a number of others it either didn't work for me or required too much effort. To quote myself:
"The whole point of my post was to address the futility of using soaps (MWF and others) that, for at least the person involved, takes too much time and effort. It's not worth it when there are so many soaps that are not, as one poster put it, a "Prima Donna".
If Mitchell's works for you (either shaving or in the bath) then use it and enjoy it. If it does NOT WORK, then ditch it and move on, as I did."

It's disappointing when you hear someone struggling with something that works so well for you, and you can feel inclined to defend it and help the other to achieve what you do. For me Mitchell's is an excellent soap that never fails to give me a great shave, and I don't detect any of the temperamental aspects that others do.

On the flip side, I've been really struggling to get anything close to a good consistent slick wet lather with Cyril Salter cream, which some others have found to be as reliable and well performing as I find Mitchell's. Everything I tried led to frustration and disappointment, no matter how much encourangement and praise came from those who get great shaves from it.

Being on either side of the fence can be annoying, when there's someone being vocal on the other side. Such is life :)

Buddy, I didn't quote you or anyone else in my post.

Secondly, I clearly did write "It's just that a small proportion out of a large sample size can't use it...and that's OK, I'm only discussing the exaggerated reputation MWF has received on the forums, nothing against those that can't use it."

My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and was actually just an attempt to put it's reputation of being finicky, into perspective.

Buddy, I didn't quote you or anyone else in my post.
... snip ...
My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and was actually just an attempt to put it's reputation of being finicky, into perspective.

Hi, nav. I'm sorry if I came across as being offended; I'm not. I was just taking the opportunity to reiterate my main point. It wasn't aimed at you at all.

MWF is one finicky soap, I have about 30 creams and 20 soaps and all of the other soaps and creams I can lather consistantly but MWF some days I fluke it and (most) other days it is a real pita to lather , I love the soap on the occasions it does decide to lather but some days its more hassle than its worth
And I tried using it again the other day, tried to lather and the soap did lather it just wasn't a very good quality lather, ditched the lather I created and started again, this time I loaded the brush for even longer, same result, ditched the lather again and used my Truefitt and hill Rose shaving cream instead that lathers almost just by looking at it and smells divine. I always hear about the amazing post shave feel of MWF but to be honest I have several soaps and creams that have a better post shave feel and lather a lot easier.

I am blessed with an extraordinary soft water and I never had problems lathering the "Fat".
Although I've learned something with experience:
- I don't squeeze the water out of the brush as usual, I just shake the excess water before starting to load. Not exactly "Marco's method" but I start with a fairly wet brush.
-MWF, like D.R.Harris and other hard pucks, suffers from rotation. Used daily (or almost) it gets better and easier to lather.
-If nothing works make a shave stick out of a puck or simply scrub the soap on your face then face lather.

its the extremely thin layer right in contact with the skin you need to worry about.

I couldn't agree more. I think a lot of guys would laugh at my lather, as it is not photogenic at all. But that layer that touches my skin *works*, even if it doesn't make for a nice picture.

I love MWF. I haven't used it in over ten years, as my wife relegated me to one soap after I had a really bad case of SAD. I almost went with MWF for that ten year stint. The lather I made with it was laughable, but dang, it worked very well for what I wanted: great lubrication and soft (and not dry) skin afterward.

I love the Fat! Funny thing is, I've not had a problem with it. Silvertip brush worked great but the Chubby 2 Synth made the lather explode very quick and easy. Can't explain why.
20190110_145338.jpg

I'm trying to love my Semogue 830 but so far I'm not a Boar fan. Still waiting for it to explode. Just got a few split hairs after 2 months of use. I lather on a puck every 3 days so its dry. Just cant seem to break it in.
+1 on the boar...I always find my SOC lathers MWF like nobody's business.

I'm trying to love my Semogue 830 but so far I'm not a Boar fan. Still waiting for it to explode. Just got a few split hairs after 2 months of use. I lather on a puck every 3 days so its dry. Just cant seem to break it in.
I bloom the soap while I soak the bristle tips. I've never had a problem with any brush. I thinks its the water.

I gave up on Semogue boar brushes and switched over to Omega boar, because, they’ve performed far better than Semogue (YMMV) I prefer a bit stiffer boar hair, that’s Omega boar not Semogue boar

Top Bottom