What's new

Mitchell’s Wool Fat – A Recap

After much trial and error I have reached some conclusions about MWF that I would like to share.

Recently, I read a forum post about Mitchell’s Wool Fat. I had a puck that I had last used (struggled with?) more than a year before that was shrunken and cracked. I decided I would do whatever I could to make it work for me or give up in sorry defeat, admit that I was beaten, and toss the puck out.

The first thing I did was research posts here and elsewhere on the web. I found many conflicting ideas and also a lot of common threads. The things that struck me were:

· Use lukewarm water rather than hot because lanolin has a low melting point. Since lanolin was one of the primary reasons for using Mitchell’s, this sounded logical

· Use soft water if possible since hard water would make lathering harder. Since hard water has been shown to be the culprit behind poor lathering with many shaving soaps, this also made sense. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and
Edmonton has moderately hard water averaging at about 9.9 grains per gallon (170 milligrams of calcium carbonate per litre)
according to a local web site. I therefore concluded that I would have to make it work with “moderately hard water” or I would not use it.

· Start with a barely damp brush and add water as you build the lather. I tried this and could not get it to work. The closest I came to a good lather was using the Marco Method and building the lather in a bowl.

· Soak the puck. I could not decide if this made sense or not. With other soaps, I just wet the surface of the puck while I shower and I found it makes lathering easier to get started. I did not, however, see the need to completely submerge the puck for several days, as some had suggested.
HOWEVER:
I then came across an old blog by a guy named “Bruce” from back in 2010 from which I will take the liberty of quoting a passage that I found both informative and humorous:
“The thing about Mitchell’s is that it doesn’t do what other soaps do, it acts almost as if it is a living thing. Use it on consecutive days and it gets better and better, as if it appreciates the attention. Leave it for a week and it will have a sulk and try and give you a bad time. Left for a while it becomes a loner, forming a hard skin round itself. Too long and cracks appear in the surface as it displays its displeasure.
So how do you manage your puck of Mitchell’s so that it gives a brilliant lather every time? Firstly don’t expose it to the air between shaves, it need to live in its own microclimate. The best way to do this is keep it in a hermetically sealed container such as a Tupperware box … you need space above the soap to form the lather. After each shave the residue of lather left on top of the soap adds to the microclimate keeping your Mitchell’s ready to perform optimally next time it is used.

So, I followed Bruce’s advice and used it day after day for almost three weeks. I found that it did, in fact, improve the longer I used it. After each shave, I squeezed some of the remaining lather on top of the puck and sealed the container. I used only lukewarm water as suggested. I used the Marco method using lots of water and lots of product and I was able to get a bowlful of very nice lather – leaving lots leftover to store on top of the puck.

So I have concluded that, with a bit or research, a bit of extra preparation, and a bit of effort; it is possible to lather Mitchell’s in “moderately hard water”. I then promptly ditched the remainder of the puck in the garbage. I was about to store away the puck along with the 30-or-so other soaps I have and it struck me that I do not have to work that hard to make any of the other lather. Many (most?) of the others perform as well and smells lots better than Mitchell’s, so I could not justify the extra effort and time.

Goodbye Mitchell’s

I've never tried it, and I won't. As long as I have several soaps that lather brilliantly, who needs a prima donna like Mitchell's Wool Fat? The ceramic containers are cute.

sad to hear, Sir CMBCNE!

MWF works great with our south Florida water.
And, it's worked nicely for me in other climates such as Alaska.

Perhaps you could re-locate to the tropics down here?
You'll get warm climate as well as softer water!

mitchells wool fat art of shaving gillette royall vetiver march 8 2017.jpg

The fat is one of my favorites. I got it before I knew of it's troubled history and it was the first soap that produced incredible lather for me. I've never purchased the ceramic case, just the refill pucks (same as I do with the DR Harris soaps). Life's to short for bad shave soap.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I do not have MWF soap but you could try experimenting outside the tub it comes with and just use a lathering bowl to see if that will control the parameters better. All most 99% of my soaps are done in a Lathering bowl to prolong shelf life and to control the final results better. Try some distilled water if you believe city water is the issue and that will end that part of the experimenting. Lots of folks fight that soap for some reason but once conquering the procedure they fall in love with it(good post shave?). I find Haslinger Schafmilch made of goat milk and lanolin very easy to create lather with good post shave results.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
... I then promptly ditched the remainder of the puck in the garbage. ...
:crying:

But it is was your soap, and if it's not working for you, then it's not working for you. The good news is that, as you know, there's oodles and oodles of other yummy stuff out there to play with.

It's because of horror stories like this I didn't get one with my last online order.

It just seems too much work and too much science to get a good lather.

lol! That wasn't the ending I was expecting! You fooled me - but I laughed a bit about it.

All said and done, you gave it an honest try. I respect that.

So I have concluded that, with a bit or research, a bit of extra preparation, and a bit of effort; it is possible to lather Mitchell’s in “moderately hard water”. I then promptly ditched the remainder of the puck in the garbage. I was about to store away the puck along with the 30-or-so other soaps I have and it struck me that I do not have to work that hard to make any of the other lather. Many (most?) of the others perform as well and smells lots better than Mitchell’s, so I could not justify the extra effort and time.

Goodbye Mitchell’s

You know, you could have PIF'd it to a fellow Albertan :).

I understand your perspective since many/most soaps are not fussy.

sad to hear, Sir CMBCNE!

MWF works great with our south Florida water.
And, it's worked nicely for me in other climates such as Alaska.

Perhaps you could re-locate to the tropics down here?
You'll get warm climate as well as softer water!

View attachment 917687
I have a relative in the Bradenton area. When I retire (if I ever do), I'll visit there once in a while and I'll pick up a puck to give another try. Note, however, that the hard water wasn't the only issue. As Vespasian noted above: "who needs a prima donna like Mitchell's Wool Fat?"

I do not have MWF soap but you could try experimenting outside the tub it comes with and just use a lathering bowl to see if that will control the parameters better.

Actually, I just had the puck, not the ceramic pot. I keep it in a screw lid metal container from Ikea. I DO use a lathering bowl to build the lather.

lol! That wasn't the ending I was expecting! You fooled me - but I laughed a bit about it.

All said and done, you gave it an honest try. I respect that.

It was written in an attempt to get exactly such a reaction. Glad you enjoyed it.

You know, you could have PIF'd it to a fellow Albertan :).

I understand your perspective since many/most soaps are not fussy.

One assumes that you are such a fellow (an Albertan). Might you be a resident of my fair city? Ther's not much left of the puck so it's not worth mailing it, but if you're from Edmonchuk, St.AB, The Grove, etc. I could fish it out of the bin. Let me know.

After much trial and error I have reached some conclusions about MWF that I would like to share.

Recently, I read a forum post about Mitchell’s Wool Fat. I had a puck that I had last used (struggled with?) more than a year before that was shrunken and cracked. I decided I would do whatever I could to make it work for me or give up in sorry defeat, admit that I was beaten, and toss the puck out.

The first thing I did was research posts here and elsewhere on the web. I found many conflicting ideas and also a lot of common threads. The things that struck me were:

· Use lukewarm water rather than hot because lanolin has a low melting point. Since lanolin was one of the primary reasons for using Mitchell’s, this sounded logical

· Use soft water if possible since hard water would make lathering harder. Since hard water has been shown to be the culprit behind poor lathering with many shaving soaps, this also made sense. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and
Edmonton has moderately hard water averaging at about 9.9 grains per gallon (170 milligrams of calcium carbonate per litre)
according to a local web site. I therefore concluded that I would have to make it work with “moderately hard water” or I would not use it.

· Start with a barely damp brush and add water as you build the lather. I tried this and could not get it to work. The closest I came to a good lather was using the Marco Method and building the lather in a bowl.

· Soak the puck. I could not decide if this made sense or not. With other soaps, I just wet the surface of the puck while I shower and I found it makes lathering easier to get started. I did not, however, see the need to completely submerge the puck for several days, as some had suggested.
HOWEVER:
I then came across an old blog by a guy named “Bruce” from back in 2010 from which I will take the liberty of quoting a passage that I found both informative and humorous:
“The thing about Mitchell’s is that it doesn’t do what other soaps do, it acts almost as if it is a living thing. Use it on consecutive days and it gets better and better, as if it appreciates the attention. Leave it for a week and it will have a sulk and try and give you a bad time. Left for a while it becomes a loner, forming a hard skin round itself. Too long and cracks appear in the surface as it displays its displeasure.
So how do you manage your puck of Mitchell’s so that it gives a brilliant lather every time? Firstly don’t expose it to the air between shaves, it need to live in its own microclimate. The best way to do this is keep it in a hermetically sealed container such as a Tupperware box … you need space above the soap to form the lather. After each shave the residue of lather left on top of the soap adds to the microclimate keeping your Mitchell’s ready to perform optimally next time it is used.

So, I followed Bruce’s advice and used it day after day for almost three weeks. I found that it did, in fact, improve the longer I used it. After each shave, I squeezed some of the remaining lather on top of the puck and sealed the container. I used only lukewarm water as suggested. I used the Marco method using lots of water and lots of product and I was able to get a bowlful of very nice lather – leaving lots leftover to store on top of the puck.

Goodbye Mitchell’s

Sorry! At least you gave it the college try!!

Well you gave it a chance. Now you can move on

I personally love MWF. But my water works well with it yet it still can be troublesome to build lather. Still worth the effort to me but not a daily soap. Haslinger is a nice alternative (in a lot of ways better). It had a similar feel to mwf in my experience. Granted there are many amazing soaps now so it’s easy to pick a winner.

Last edited:
Is there a place where I can buy a sample of MWF for a few bucks? I don't wanna buy a whole puck in case it doesn't work for me. But I am interested in trying it out.

Top Bottom