What's new

Mistura May Madness

Far from the sexiest shot, I know, but the image included below is what the smaller horse-badger knot looked like after face-lathering and applying lather for the first pass. Plenty of lather left for the second pass and touch-ups.

The horse-badger knot acts very much like horsehair, with the badger hair calming down the scritch a little. As such, it does not like a long pre-soak as that would lead to the hairs clumping together; it's enough just to submerge the tips in water for 30 seconds or so, quickly dunking in the rest of the knot shy of handle a couple of times for good measure.

LOTD-5-3-21-bis.jpg

Hope to join you guys later this week, but my butterscotch Mistura has been transferred from CTT (Portugal) post to Canada post which could take a while.

Semogue SOC Mistura in ivory
Palmolive shave soap
EJ89 w/Mentor head
7 O'Clock black day 2
Thayer's Original witch hazel
Lalique Pour Homme Eau de Parfum

The lather was absolutely perfect. Palmolive is my favorite soap and it's not even close. With the SOC Mistura and that soap, I get exactly the shave experience I want. The classic scent, dense lather, and terrific glide of Palmolive is old-school perfection. The SOC gives me scrub, soft tips, and a drama-free lathering experience.

Much as I love my Semogue boars, I do believe I will be using this soap and brush combo indefinitely. It's just too good.

Reactions: bjm
MMM SOTD
SOTD-Y-G_2021-05-04.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget 22/48
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Yuma YM-403
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (6)
ASL: Orange Empire

Nice. :biggrin:

I wonder if I can stick with the software for more than one shave? I guess I'll find out next shave.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

I'm probably going to wind up at hearing to Mistura May without even trying.

So far this month I've only been using those handles LJS made me with 70/30 knots in them.

Semogue Barbear Classico Mistura
Palmolive shave soap
EJ DE89 Barley w/RR Mentor Head
7 O'Clock Black shave #3
Thayer's Original witch hazel
Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver

The BC holds a touch less water than the SOC, which is not a problem, as it's still more than enough. Latherwise, 4 passes' worth from a standard brush-loading of Palmolive today.

The facefeel of these knots is IMO unparalleled, and I simply don't know that I have use of any other brushes at this point. Why wouldn't I want to use the mistura knots every day?

View attachment 1259367
I'm in.

Since I only own one Mistura (SOC with a lovely cherry wood handle) I might chime in every other day (giving the Mistura enough time to dry properly between uses).

It's good to see your Photos :c18:

How do you manage to get such lovely textured Cherry wood brushes?

My SOC Boar in Cherry has bland texture, it looks almost Ash wood (nothing against Ash wood), while I hoped to see some grains and color :c4:

It's good to see your Photos :c18:

How do you manage to get such lovely textured Cherry wood brushes?

My SOC Boar in Cherry has bland texture, it looks almost Ash wood (nothing against Ash wood), while I hoped to see some grains and color :c4:

Hey, good to me you again!

It's too bad, that the look of the handle doesn't meet your expectations.
:sad:
I guess every batch of wood is a bit different in terms of colour and grain. My brushes have darkened in the years I have them, at least to some extent (and in addition I often add some contrast to my photos to make them visually pop a bit), however, none of these handles had an "ash wood look" when new.

Maybe the look of your brush will change in course of time...

Hey, good to me you again!

It's too bad, that the look of the handle doesn't meet your expectations.
:sad:
I guess every batch of wood is a bit different in terms of colour and grain. My brushes have darkened in the years I have them, at least to some extent (and in addition I often add some contrast to my photos to make them visually pop a bit), however, none of these handles had an "ash wood look" when new.

Maybe the look of your brush will change in course of time...
Beside one clear lacquered Omega boar I never had a wooden brush in my den. I’m a bit anxious how it will keep up. I never fully dunk my brushes but obviously they will get wet in use and whilst cleaning. Will the cherry handle benefit from a coating of linseed oil or is it even mandatory to somehow treat the wood to protect it from the overall humidity?

Beside one clear lacquered Omega boar I never had a wooden brush in my den. I’m a bit anxious how it will keep up. I never fully dunk my brushes but obviously they will get wet in use and whilst cleaning. Will the cherry handle benefit from a coating of linseed oil or is it even mandatory to somehow treat the wood to protect it from the overall humidity?

I'd say it's not mandatory since the cherry handle has a thin coating of laquer when it leaves the factory (fwiw, I saw this statement on a vendor's page).

On the other side I guess it would not harm the handle if you apply a thin layer of linseed oil every now and then. Maybe just give it a try and pls report back...

Last edited:
IMG_20210505_201314.jpg

Shave #3 For MMM

Brush: SOC Mistura - Butterscotch
Soap : Old Spice Fresh Lime Shaving Cream
Razor: Gold Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (3)
Finished off with Old spice Fresh Lime AS

Really liking this brush, it just gets better with each use.
Not sure if I can go back to my synthetics now. :)

MMM SOTD
SOTD-Y-Y_2021-05-05.jpg

Cream: La Toja Classic
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (7)
ASL: Whiskey Woods

A lovely shave. :biggrin:

The Postman delivered a new-to-me shaving cream today, so of course I had to use it!

I was highly impressed with the LEA Mentholated Cream that Rave @Raven Koenes subliminally enabled for me, so much so that I decided to try another Spanish Cream to see if they're all that good... enter La Toja.

La Toja Classic Cream has an unusual scent but it's a fabulous performer, I'm very pleased with my (inexpensive) purchase. I remember someone describing the scent as "laundry blowing in a sea breeze" and I'd say that was fairly accurate. Not knowing what ASL would go with it, I purposely left the bathroom ASLless in order to choose a "best match" after the shave.

Halfway through the shave I knew the ASL would be Clubman "Whiskey Woods" with its (to me) "Pledge Furniture Polish" scent. A great match!

All the hardware continues to do a great job. I'm really getting to love my Mixed Midget... I don't know if it's starting to lose some of its scritch, or if I'm just getting used to it. :001_unsur

MMM SOTD
SOTD-Y-Y_2021-05-05.jpg

Cream: La Toja Classic
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (7)
ASL: Whiskey Woods

A lovely shave. :biggrin:

The Postman delivered a new-to-me shaving cream today, so of course I had to use it!

I was highly impressed with the LEA Mentholated Cream that Rave @Raven Koenes subliminally enabled for me, so much so that I decided to try another Spanish Cream to see if they're all that good... enter La Toja.

La Toja Classic Cream has an unusual scent but it's a fabulous performer, I'm very pleased with my (inexpensive) purchase. I remember someone describing the scent as "laundry blowing in a sea breeze" and I'd say that was fairly accurate. Not knowing what ASL would go with it, I purposely left the bathroom ASLless in order to choose a "best match" after the shave.

Halfway through the shave I knew the ASL would be Clubman "Whiskey Woods" with its (to me) "Pledge Furniture Polish" scent. A great match!

All the hardware continues to do a great job. I'm really getting to love my Mixed Midget... I don't know if it's starting to lose some of its scritch, or if I'm just getting used to it. :001_unsur

The matching AS costs peanuts, smells great and is a whopping 200ml - not sure if it's available in the States though...

Top Bottom